Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 09-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Wednesday, September 20

Race One:
LIGHT THE VOW gets my nod in this wide-open, state-bred 40k maiden-claiming sprint. The fact that this Broken Vow-bred hasn’t graced the winner’s circle in 14 tries is - quite frankly - concerning. Yet, the rider-switch to Joel Rosario is a huge. Also, this gelding’s conditioner, Charley Baker is an excellent trainer. In addition, I like the turf-to-dirt angle. Yes, this gelding has been away from the races for well over two months; yet, he recently “drilled” four panels in :48.1, breezing. In conclusion, he’s not one of those bet-the-ranch, take-no-prisoners types; yet, this gelding, as Marlon Brando would say in “On The Waterfront,” is ‘a contendah’. Others: , ,

Race Two:
Folks, this race is as wide-open as it gets. As I initially glimed the past-performance lines, I came up with no less than eight horses (to call this a tough race would be an understatement). Now even a neophyte will tell you: “You can’t bet’m all!” So, after much deliberation, I’ve come up with my top pick in this one-mile claiming route, n2L. I’ve landed on the David Donk-trainee, THE GREAT SAMURAI. This chestnut gelding’s only trip to the winner’s circle came at Belmont Park (in a race taken off the turf) against better at approx. the same distance. This 3 year-old has certainly faced much better throughout his young racing career. In fact, today’s drop is almost, well… “Say it, Teach!” (sotto voce): "Suspicious". Again, ad nauseum, I like the turf-to-dirt angle. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Three:
In this Inner Turf 100k OC 10-panels marathon I’m picking: MARK MY STYLE. Frankly, I’m banking on the fact that Irad Ortiz, Jr. will put this Noonmark-bred horse “on the engine” and play: Catch me if you can. Obviously, a lot is predicated on the belief that Ortiz can get this horse to the front without too much duress, and then lull this field with soft fractions. Obviously, nothing can be taken for granted. These are just suppositions; maybe better stated – beliefs. John Toscano, Jr. trains this Lady Dora-bred 5 year-old bay. Oh, one final point: I was impressed with this horse’s most recent work. He blitzed five panels on the turf in :59-flat, breezing (working around the dogs). Others: , ,

Race Four:
DESERT AFFAIR draws in as an Also Eligible. I believe this Gary Contessa-trained 3 year-old bay filly has a solid chance of getting his picture taken. Although this filly hasn’t broken her maiden - as the others haven’t in the 6 and ½ panels maiden-claimer – she has hit the tote in eight out of 12 lifetime tries. If she shows the slightest of improvement, it would put this Street Cry-bred in the winner’s circle. Both a solid recent work and a half- panel cut back should help. So too should the chauffeuring services of jockey Jose Ortiz. Others: , ,
Race Five:
ACCOLADE is my selection in this 60k MSW state-bred turf route. This highly-priced Pioneerof the Nile bay colt has a solid turf pedigree (Giant’s Causeway “on the bottom”). This first-timer’s dam, McCool, had a turf winner from three starters. A recent sharp “bulleted” 3-panels turf work bolsters confidence. Christophe Clement trains this Empire Maker-bred; Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Six:
My pick in this claiming turf-route marathon is: INDEBTED. This Bob Falcone, Jr.-trained (how are Snickers and Cannoli?) 5 year-old Malibu Moon-bred was second against better in a similar race at The Spa. Any slight improvement… I should mention that trainer Falcone does extremely well both with horses 1st off a claim and drop off a claim. Look for this gelding to be closing in the stretch. Further, this gelding’s dam, Dreams, had 5 turf winners from 10 starters. Thus, a solid turf pedigree “on the bottom”. “El Dominicano,” Senor Joel Rosario, is in the irons. Rosario has been al vivo rojo since moving downstate to “Beautiful Belmont Park”. Others: , ,

Race Seven:
My pick in the 6 and ½ furlongs allowance n1x is: HARD SCRAMBLE. This Steve Asmussen-trainee narrowly missed in his last against relatively similar company up at The Spa about one month ago. It should be cited that Asmussen does exceptionally well with horses that were beaten favorites in their last. This bay colt should be in an excellent stalking position. A relatively recent “bullet” work enhances my confidence level. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Eight:
In the Joseph A. Gimma Stakes at 7 panels on the main for 2 year-old state-bred fillies, my pick is: NEWPORT BREEZE. This Majestic Warrior-bred bay filly just missed in a non-graded New York state-bred stakes up in the Spa near the end of the meet. This A.P. Indy-bred turned in a solid, recent 4-panels work. The 2 year-old’s trainer is Peter Eurton; the jockey is Joel Rosario. Others: , ,

Race Nine:
In the finale, a maiden-claiming turf route, I’m picking: FURTIVE GLANCE. This Bill Mott trainee is exiting MSW company and is now in “for a tag”. The change of company should work wonders for this 3 year-old Elusive Quality-bred filly. Jose Lezcano “Lez on the Ces(ped,” has a very good record when riding in grass races. The aforementioned Mott, the Hall of Famer, does very well when going from MSWs to Maiden-Claimers. Today’s cut back from previous race distances should help. Others: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply