Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 10-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Sea Biscuit

Giddy Up Lucky Dead

My condolences to the connections.

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/new...ky-passes.html
Sea Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
titans1127
Harness racing Fan

Word on the street is that he tested positive for EPO after his last start and it can be confirmed by his eligibility report. After reading all the rumors over the last week I was hoping none of it was true until a credible source came out with something. This was easily my favorite horse over the last year and its a shame this had to happen. I just hope the owner/trainer has action taken against them.
titans1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Hanover1

I understand the antibodies caused the positive, wich is supposed to indicate prior EPO use at some time. Typically after repeated applications, over a period of time. When these times where, is pure speculation at this point. I understand this EPO stuff has been around awhile, but I never heard of it myself when training, except rumors of its existence beginning in the early 90's I guess. The horrid state it puts horses in, to my understanding, is abuse, plain and simple. It shoots the RBC thru the roof, the horse peaks timewise, then washes out, or crashes, as it were, and results are ugly. Metabolism is basically destroyed. Connections claim the death is a reaction to an iron supplement in this case. What kind of excuse they gonna use now that the EPO angle is all out there? This is just so far away from the spirit of the races and breeding of these animals, it is a disgrace.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
LottaKash

My, what shame be on the conncections...Of course, only if this is true....

If it is tho, they should make an example of these bobo's...Too much shit going on these days.,..

"Win at all costs", no matter the horse or bettor....Is that the new way ?...

Sad state of affairs lately, and more so than in times past, or so it seems to me at least....Kinda fits right in with the way the Capitol Hill connections are looting and plundering, and wasting the national kash-box lately...

best,
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
My, what shame be on the conncections...Of course, only if this is true....

If it is tho, they should make an example of these bobo's...Too much shit going on these days.,..

"Win at all costs", no matter the horse or bettor....Is that the new way ?...

Sad state of affairs lately, and more so than in times past, or so it seems to me at least....Kinda fits right in with the way the Capitol Hill connections are looting and plundering, and wasting the national kash-box lately...

best,
Tough to have confidence in the product if this stuff comes out all the time, I understand. Pisses us all off when connections get a pass, or a do over as it were. If I was ever to get caught doing those things, I would be so ashamed, and would stand to lose all I ever worked for. It just makes no sense to me.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
If I was ever to get caught doing those things, I would be so ashamed, and would stand to lose all I ever worked for. It just makes no sense to me.
Hanover, that is why you are who you are, an up front hard working guy....Unlike the sleazeball-cowards that permeate this game. to it's detriment, these days...The game that we love so much....

I know most guys in this business are hard working and fair, but it seems lately, the line of the who is who, is becoming somewhat blurry....It is hard to tell anymore...

best,
Old 10-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Hanover, that is why you are who you are, an up front hard working guy....Unlike the sleazeball-cowards that permeate this game. to it's detriment, these days...The game that we love so much....

I know most guys in this business are hard working and fair, but it seems lately, the line of the who is who, is becoming somewhat blurry....It is hard to tell anymore...

best,
Thank you for the kind words Mr Kash. Wish I could actually work as hard as I used to actually. The line is clearly blurred (I think that was clever, or stupid, not sure wich....) as to who is a top hoseman or a slick chemist. I am not a fan of accusations and speculation, but we all have our suspicions, and when you meet some of these guys/gals, it behooves you to connect them with the crimes alledged, when we used to be good judge of character when selecting help, or yearlings for that matter. Now seemingly nice folks are taking less than stellar raceway stock and setting new lifetime earnings and race marks, quicker than us old timers ever thought of turning one around. Is this technology? Hard to give credit to the UFO sulky for the plethoria of cheap, older horses with the huge form reversals of late. Must be those nice folks we want to trust with our investments? Its chemical warfare, thats all.....
Old 10-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
Sea Biscuit

Isn't it strange that Standardbred Canada story does not mention either the EPO or the iron supplement involved in this case.

Are they trying to brush something under the rug?
Sea Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit
Isn't it strange that Standardbred Canada story does not mention either the EPO or the iron supplement involved in this case.

Are they trying to brush something under the rug?
What did other sources say, like Harnesslink? I will try to find a credible source you can get this from.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Hanover1

I looked around a bit, and can't find anything that says for certain that EPO was involved regarding this particular horse. Alot of acusations and speculations to be sure. What I also noticed is that since the trainer of this horse had some prior issues, folks seem quick to fear the worst with this deal. An iron supplement is the reason given, and USTA stands by this story at this time. No word on necropsy or its results however. This is the very type of situation I have railed against in the past, only to be met with strong opposition. We need verifiable facts before we can be properly informed. Where there is smoke, there is smoke, not fire. Could be the barn next door.....
Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
TimesTheyRAChangin
Fast Women & Slow Horses!

FWIW,

As reported on Raceway Lite The USTA eligibility report.
Under Stewards List.
"9/28/11 Har Giddy Up lucky tested high (2175)on an EPO antibody test from 9/19/2011. NO Entries until the horse retests below 1000 on the antibody test."
TimesTheyRAChangin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesTheyRAChangin
FWIW,

As reported on Raceway Lite The USTA eligibility report.
Under Stewards List.
"9/28/11 Har Giddy Up lucky tested high (2175)on an EPO antibody test from 9/19/2011. NO Entries until the horse retests below 1000 on the antibody test."
and the horse comes up dead? wonder why there is smoke here?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
botster

Cool BIKES ARE NOT THE ISSUE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
Hard to give credit to the UFO sulky for the plethoria of cheap, older horses with the huge form reversals of late. Must be those nice folks we want to trust with our investments? Its chemical warfare, thats all.....
You know the truth...It is beyond my comprehension why everyone can't see this fact.Sulkys haven't improved times with any drastic change since the big change from the big cumbersome wood bikes used up until they were conformed to lighter wood quick hitch types.The change from wood to the light materials along with the quick hitches did make a significant change overall.No bike since then has made a noticeable improvement of the speed of races to go faster since this time.Performance enhancement drugs were introduced widely around this time and were much more prevelent.

There are so many trainers using all kinds of harmful drugs causing horrible effects on horses today.They weren't meant to go these type of races and all are effected someway, or another, as their careers will inevitably be shortened to some degree.These horses are forgotten about after their demise and career ending physical problems.These are never reported by the media, because they weren't champions on the track.
botster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by botster
You know the truth...It is beyond my comprehension why everyone can't see this fact.Sulkys haven't improved times with any drastic change since the big change from the big cumbersome wood bikes used up until they were conformed to lighter wood quick hitch types.The change from wood to the light materials along with the quick hitches did make a significant change overall.No bike since then has made a noticeable improvement of the speed of races to go faster since this time.Performance enhancement drugs were introduced widely around this time and were much more prevelent.

There are so many trainers using all kinds of harmful drugs causing horrible effects on horses today.They weren't meant to go these type of races and all are effected someway, or another, as their careers will inevitably be shortened to some degree.These horses are forgotten about after their demise and career ending physical problems.These are never reported by the media, because they weren't champions on the track.

I have always touted the progression of the breed as a reason we see the performanced of today, but that is particular of the Grand Curcuit types of 2-3yr olds. You can tell how cleanly they trot as an indicator....These older warrior types we talk about here, that have proven records after 80-90+ starts, and dropping 3-4 seconds off lifetime bests, and in some cases in a matter of weeks after a claim, are the telltale signs of performance enhancements never before seen in our sport. It has flat ruined every aspect of the sport from consumer confidence at the track/windows to investment viability in the claiming ranks, where a newbie should typically get started. Sadly, I'm glad I'm on the sidelines these days. Can't compete with designer drugs and hyperbaric chambers, ect.....