Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
TheGarMan

PENN MILE DAY

I know you guys tend to go pretty hard on Penn National (and for good reason, the history there is checkered at best) but this Saturday they have put together a very nice card, including 7 stakes races.

The featured race is the Grade 2 "Penn Mile" on turf for $500,000.

Looks like lots of big name jocks & trainers are coming in for the action. Pletcher is sending in a few, as well as Clement, Makar, etc.

Ortiz , Castellano and Paco Lopez have a few have mounts listed.

I am going to make the hour+ drive, to support the track, maybe grab some dinner, etc.

So, if you are bored Saturday, be sure to check out the action from PENN.

Gar
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarMan View Post
I know you guys tend to go pretty hard on Penn National (and for good reason, the history there is checkered at best) but this Saturday they have put together a very nice card, including 7 stakes races.

Looks like lots of big name jocks & trainers are coming in for the action. Pletcher is sending in a few, as well as Clement, Makar, etc.

I am going to make the hour+ drive, to support the track, maybe grab some dinner, etc.

Gar
Eat somewhere outside of the track the food there is not very good.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
TonyK@HSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarMan View Post

Gar
Post time is 3:45 for this day. Not the normal 6:00
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK@HSH View Post
Post time is 3:45 for this day. Not the normal 6:00
Yes, thanks, I should have mentioned that
Old 06-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I love Pen.
Used to drive down to play in the 70s and 80s.

Saturday is circled on my calendar.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:11 AM   #6
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I love Pen.
Used to drive down to play in the 70s and 80s.

Saturday is circled on my calendar.
I was player there in the '70's myself. While I do have a bunch of fond memories of the place, I remember going there one bitter cold winter's Friday night. A buddy of mine met me at the track and he drove out to the track from Trenton that day. Of course, the track cancelled the card about 10 minutes after postime for the first race because the jockeys refused to ride. The guys selling the Daily Racing Form were nowhere to be found on the way out....

But I'm a horseplayer so I'm still lookin' forward to Saturday!
Old 06-02-2017, 01:51 AM   #7
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99 View Post
Eat somewhere outside of the track the food there is not very good.
local tip: I usually have good results from the harper's tavern 5 miles up 81 north right off exit 85 a.

http://www.harperstavern.com/

pen itself may also have some outside vendors that aren't usually there on the the track apron for a day like this.

good luck!!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2017, 12:48 AM   #8
proximity

let your heart race at penn national!!

to remind myself how great this is (and because I have no life) I decided to take in tonight's card at exciting penn national!!

the first half of the card's a back and forth battle as I settle in with my daily racing program.

an icy breeze that would make even an eskimo shiver is blowing through the sparsely populated clubhouse. luckily I've brought a heavy sweatshirt but it's not enough and I break down and head to the refreshment stand for a hot coffee that's so expensive that I consider using my discover card to get cash back on the purchase.

no matter. I've got some good price stabs in the 6th and 7th.

first I bet Indira's wish in the 6th and watch as she drifts up to 25-1. the filly closes like a wild horse. unfortunately a slow wild horse as she misses by a diminishing inch.

there's still hope though in the 7th where I have #7 heavy tipper and a 1-7 exacta box. according to overlay handicapping i'm supposed to give extra credit to heavy tipper since top jockey angel rodriguez is riding and she's been coming out of the gate within a couple lengths of the leaders.

heavy tipper breaks dead last (lol) but circles and catches every entry but #1.

there's a problem though. heavy tipper was drifting in down the lane. however they start showing the replay from behind the field over and over and this shows that #1 max's warrior was actually the one who came out and slammed into the other horse.

so I should get the win bet at 8-1!!

wrong. only heavy tipper is disqualified.

why the stewards were looking at the rear view that showed max's warrior coming out and slamming into the "victim" for five minutes and then they dq heavy tipper but leave max's warrior up??? I have no clue.

with cortisol surging through my veins I stay for the finale and then follow the capacity crowd out to the garage.

probably rushing off to meet some of his numerous women our own tonyk@hsh almost runs me over in a brand new Hyundai sonata.

fortunately I dive out of the way before the stewards suspend me for damaging the car of a horseman.

sorry for the long post!!
Old 06-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
to remind myself how great this is (and because I have no life) I decided to take in tonight's card at exciting penn national!!

the first half of the card's a back and forth battle as I settle in with my daily racing program.

an icy breeze that would make even an eskimo shiver is blowing through the sparsely populated clubhouse. luckily I've brought a heavy sweatshirt but it's not enough and I break down and head to the refreshment stand for a hot coffee that's so expensive that I consider using my discover card to get cash back on the purchase.

no matter. I've got some good price stabs in the 6th and 7th.

first I bet Indira's wish in the 6th and watch as she drifts up to 25-1. the filly closes like a wild horse. unfortunately a slow wild horse as she misses by a diminishing inch.

there's still hope though in the 7th where I have #7 heavy tipper and a 1-7 exacta box. according to overlay handicapping i'm supposed to give extra credit to heavy tipper since top jockey angel rodriguez is riding and she's been coming out of the gate within a couple lengths of the leaders.

heavy tipper breaks dead last (lol) but circles and catches every entry but #1.

there's a problem though. heavy tipper was drifting in down the lane. however they start showing the replay from behind the field over and over and this shows that #1 max's warrior was actually the one who came out and slammed into the other horse.

so I should get the win bet at 8-1!!

wrong. only heavy tipper is disqualified.

why the stewards were looking at the rear view that showed max's warrior coming out and slamming into the "victim" for five minutes and then they dq heavy tipper but leave max's warrior up??? I have no clue.

with cortisol surging through my veins I stay for the finale and then follow the capacity crowd out to the garage.

probably rushing off to meet some of his numerous women our own tonyk@hsh almost runs me over in a brand new Hyundai sonata.

fortunately I dive out of the way before the stewards suspend me for damaging the car of a horseman.

sorry for the long post!!
This whole post is awesome, but the bolded part is probably the funniest thing I've read in ages.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
bugboy

New Jersey

wow, Trenton.....my birth place livedthere for 24 years.......I keep that quite..
bugboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #11
TheGarMan

So Here It Goes...

So, we are leaving shortly for the track, but before we go , I wanted to get my prelim picks down...

I don't think I have ever put myself out there for public humiliation before, so this should be fun :

Race 5 - The Castellano piloted "The Critical Way" looks to be the best - Also like "Midtowncharleybrown" to be in the mix. Exacta box

Race 6 - I wish I could look elsewhere, but the Castellano / Pletcher horse "Miss Adorable" looks to be the best - Honorable mention to the The G. Motion trained "Party Boat" - Tri Box

Race 7 - I'll try the - Take Cover - Hope for the exacta box

Race 8 Mountainview Stakes - I think the Castellano / Pletcher entry "Madefromlucky" will take a pounding at the window - So, I'll go elsewhere Liking the Matt King Coal - May consider Virtual machine depending on post time odds

Race 9 (Penn Mile) - "Big Score" with Castellano will surely take money (as will Page McKenney who is super popular) - But I'll try the Makar first time turfer at a bit of a price Time To Travel - Super Box

Well, I hope I didn't make a fool of myself

Feel free to post your thoughts on the Penn Mile, or the undercard here.

Have a great day, where ever you play!

Gar
Old 06-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Big Score

Love this horse. It has to be some type of Omen that the great JC cost me a "big score" at Preakness 2 weeks ago
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
maliksealy210

The stewards are a joke... wow.. Race 7. Obvious foul in the Stretch. No inquiry. Took seven minutes to mention first objection (4th vs 3rd), and two minutes more to mention second objection (2nd vs 1st). They did get the right call, but when people are watching and you have a horse that ran in the Meydan carnival, you might want to call for an inquiry or people like Peter Miller may never ship in again.
maliksealy210 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #14
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliksealy210 View Post
The stewards are a joke... wow.. Race 7.
deja vu all over again.