Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
formula_2002
what an easy game.

SPEED FIGURE COMPARISONS

HOW WELL DO THE VARIOUS SPEED FIGURE GENERATORS PERFORM

FOR THE TOP THREE PUBLIC CHOICES AS JUDGED BY THE $1 RETURN?

THANKS

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_2002 View Post
HOW WELL DO THE VARIOUS SPEED FIGURE GENERATORS PERFORM

FOR THE TOP THREE PUBLIC CHOICES AS JUDGED BY THE $1 RETURN?

THANKS
What are the criteria? What makes a horse a "figure" pick?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
What are the criteria? What makes a horse a "figure" pick?
data that indicates it has an edge..

in this case I'm looking for data as to how well the figure performs against the publics top three. no other criteria.

say the public's top pick returns $.87 on the dollar, the 2nd pick say $.80, the third, say $0.75.

now say the top public's top pick with the highest pace generator "a" returns $.95 on the dollar, generator "b" $.85 on the dollar, well I would be interested, as a start, to look further into generator "a".

that's just the start of the analysis.

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
Old 11-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
data that indicates it has an edge..

in this case I'm looking for data as to how well the figure performs against the publics top three. no other criteria.

say the public's top pick returns $.87 on the dollar, the 2nd pick say $.80, the third, say $0.75.

now say the top public's top pick with the highest pace generator "a" returns $.95 on the dollar, generator "b" $.85 on the dollar, well I would be interested, as a start, to look further into generator "a".

that's just the start of the analysis.
This is what I am asking though, what is generator "a" or whatever? You have to have some kind of criteria to define what figure or figures are the ones to use.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
This is what I am asking though, what is generator "a" or whatever? You have to have some kind of criteria to define what figure or figures are the ones to use.
I would like to compare the effectiveness of anyone that generates pace figures like yourself, Beyer, Quirin (speed), Bris (power) , etal

Winston Churchill
Old 11-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
bobphilo

Quote:
I would like to compare the effectiveness of anyone that generates pace figures like yourself, Beyer, Quirin (speed), Bris (power) , etal
I think what cj is asking is which figure are you using for comparison? Is it the last figure at the distance/surface, the most representative figure of the last 3, the best 2 out of 3 average? There are many ways to use speed figures.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
I think what cj is asking is which figure are you using for comparison? Is it the last figure at the distance/surface, the most representative figure of the last 3, the best 2 out of 3 average? There are many ways to use speed figures.
Exactly.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #8
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
if I had the data I would look at all the above, from each generator for say, the public's top choice .

say generator "a" best two out of three for the top choice yields a $1 return of $.90, generator "b" $.85 ..

how else would you compare the value of the figures?

Winston Churchill
Old 11-03-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
ubercapper

No one has done a comparison in years.

There was a thread on PA last year on the subject and Ron Tiller from HDW supplied some info, as did I.

Here's the link http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/a.../t-140490.html
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2018, 12:36 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
if I had the data I would look at all the above, from each generator for say, the public's top choice .

say generator "a" best two out of three for the top choice yields a $1 return of $.90, generator "b" $.85 ..

how else would you compare the value of the figures?
For like the 3rd time now, how are you measuring the speed figures? If you tell us that, I could help with mine. I doubt you are going to find somebody that can do it for all the speed figures. Nobody is going to have that kind of data. The best you can hope for is various people sharing what they have for individual figures.

But, you can't compare apples to oranges. We have to know VERY SPECIFIC criteria. Yes, I get it, comparing to the top choice, but how are we deciding the "figure" horse in each race?
Old 11-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #11
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
For like the 3rd time now, [b]how are you measuring the speed figures?[/B] If you tell us that, I could help with mine. I doubt you are going to find somebody that can do it for all the speed figures. Nobody is going to have that kind of data. The best you can hope for is various people sharing what they have for individual figures.

But, you can't compare apples to oranges. We have to know VERY SPECIFIC criteria. Yes, I get it, comparing to the top choice, but how are we deciding the "figure" horse in each race?
I'm not measuring speed figures
I'm looking for anyone that provides speed figures to tell me their $1 return. set any criteria you wish.

For instance
From HTR Monthly Report April 2001
Quirin speed points:
dirt routes (no wet tracks or maidens tested)
8 Quirin points, … I need to read the entire article. a few caveats to consider.

I'll get back to you.

Winston Churchill
Old 11-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
castaway01

I'm not a speed figure basher. I've defended Beyer on here many times, and obviously CJ is one of the sharpest guys in figure making these days. However, since everyone is aware of speed figures and they drive much of the wagering dollar, aren't you just going to find that the top figure horse is usually the favorite and returns what the favorite does? Of course you would be foolish to blindly bet the top figure horse in every single race regardless of context, but do you really expect to find one figure returning 98 cents on the dollar or something that favorable? They're all going to be around the takeout rate.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #13
classhandicapper

This thread is like an Abbott and Costello skit.

Define the paramenters you want tested.

1. Best race last time out.
2. Best of last 2.
3. Best of last 3.
4. Average best 2 of last 3.
5. Most representative race of last 3.
6. Best race of last 3 eliminating off tracks

Make up a list like that and then you might get feedback on how a certain set of figures does in that category. You can't just ask for a return without specificying the criteria.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #14
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
This thread is like an Abbott and Costello skit.

Define the paramenters you want tested.

1. Best race last time out.
2. Best of last 2.
3. Best of last 3.
4. Average best 2 of last 3.
5. Most representative race of last 3.
6. Best race of last 3 eliminating off tracks

Make up a list like that and then you might get feedback on how a certain set of figures does in that category. You can't just ask for a return without specificying the criteria.
How about working it backwards.
"Here is the best value under x y z conditions"

Winston Churchill

Last edited by formula_2002; 11-04-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #15
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I'm not a speed figure basher. I've defended Beyer on here many times, and obviously CJ is one of the sharpest guys in figure making these days. However, since everyone is aware of speed figures and they drive much of the wagering dollar, aren't you just going to find that the top figure horse is usually the favorite and returns what the favorite does? Of course you would be foolish to blindly bet the top figure horse in every single race regardless of context, but do you really expect to find one figure returning 98 cents on the dollar or something that favorable? They're all going to be around the takeout rate.
Actually, studies have shown that horses win at about the rate their odds would predict so that playing them at random would pretty much would put you around the takeout rate. If one can improve on the win percentage of favorites or come up with a few longer priced horses than favorites, using figures or some other method or combination thereof, one can beat the takeout rate and even show a profit. However it can't be done using one simplistic factor such as top figure.

Last edited by bobphilo; 11-04-2018 at 04:14 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: