Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #46
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Et tu, Al, et tu?
Pro rem publicam.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #47
Dexter M
Journeyman

this thread is proof people will complain about anything and everything. y'all sound like a bunch of overgrown children.

if the tv you were watching sucked, get up and go watch another one. did the pink cloths prevent anyone from walking?
Dexter M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #48
cj's dad

The pink saddlecloths sucked. It ruined one of 3 days of racing (for me) at Saratoga. Also, the idea of all F&M races sucked.

It was a bad reminder of the purple BC days and the bad camera angles at Dubai when everyone is scratching their arse trying to figure the winner.

NYRA, please do the feature race on awareness day only in a more fan friendly way.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #49
classhandicapper

I knew it was Fabulous Fillies Day (or whatever they called it) because they mentioned it on the NYRA broadcast, but I spent the entire card betting and watching the races and didn't even notice the pink.

So one thing is obvious. I'm an idiot.

But I seemed to have no problem watching the break, picking up my horse immediately, watching the numbers on the bottom of the screen, and following them if they were in contention. That's why I didn't notice. I guess I'm used to watching races that way on TV. At the track I tend to look at the colors more.

I think a pink arm band or something like that would probably be a better idea since so many horse players follow their horses by color.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #50
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter M
this thread is proof people will complain about anything and everything. y'all sound like a bunch of overgrown children.

if the tv you were watching sucked, get up and go watch another one. did the pink cloths prevent anyone from walking?

If you weren't there, you don't get it. There are no other TV's to watch. They all suck. This is an outdoor tent. And even the big screen they provide out front is a piece of crap. The best damn screen in the entire place is Al's Iphone. Thank God for that............
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #51
Dexter M
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
If you weren't there, you don't get it. There are no other TV's to watch. They all suck. This is an outdoor tent. And even the big screen they provide out front is a piece of crap. The best damn screen in the entire place is Al's Iphone. Thank God for that............
i've made a trip to saratoga every year for 2 decades. if the tv's sucked in whatever tent you were in, i would have walked to somewhere the tv's didn't suck to watch the races.

it's hard for me to believe adults are complaining this much about something that was done one day for a good cause. one day guys, not the whole meet.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #52
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I stated that it is knowable. It's not farfetched for an intelligent, aware person to follow a horse by the jockey silks.

If you are neither intelligent nor aware, that is a YOU problem, not a ME problem, as Colin Cowherd says.

This is not rocket science, though you think it is.
Cardus, do you know how many stables that there are ?....And each one of them has it's "OWN COLORS", and they give them to the Jock when he rides for them that day....

So, how in the heck can we keep track of all of those silly colors ?.

You can do this ?....Good for you then, we mere mortals probably can't do all of this memorizing ?

Sure, thru the years I would be familiar with a few of the colors of some of the big name stables, but not very many tho....

I am glad that some of you can do all this memorization....

So yeah, having correct post-position colors on the saddlecloth is important to me...Pink sucks anyway..heehee..

============================

In Harness Racing, there isn't this type of problem... Every single driver gets "his own" colors, so no matter where he races, or at what track, or what race he is in, I can identify him by his colors...This way, I know exactly where my horse is at all times, while watching any race....So much easier than this traditional crap of the owner's colors, and not a jockey's own individual colors...I wish they would change that....They never will, I know... haha...

best,
Old 08-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #53
Dexter M
Journeyman

also, you don't have to memorize all the silks. the silks colors are listed in most pps and you could always see what silks the jocks were wearing in the post parade before the race.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #54
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Years ago at Evangeline Downs the jock silks and hat matched the saddle cloth color.
#1 wore a red shirt and red hat - red saddle cloth
#5 wore a green shirt and green hat - green saddle cloth
Old 08-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #55
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
i've made a trip to saratoga every year for 2 decades. if the tv's sucked in whatever tent you were in, i would have walked to somewhere the tv's didn't suck to watch the races.

it's hard for me to believe adults are complaining this much about something that was done one day for a good cause. one day guys, not the whole meet.
All the TVs suck.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #56
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
All the TVs suck.
You probably mean outside, but the flatscreens in the grandstand are nice with sharp pictures.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #57
Dexter M
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
All the TVs suck.
not inside. but that is besides the point. days were ruined because of saddlecloths?

might be time for a new past time to complain about if your day was ruined because of a saddlecloth.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #58
ArlJim78

Quote:
not inside. but that is besides the point. days were ruined because of saddlecloths?

might be time for a new past time to complain about if your day was ruined because of a saddlecloth.
It might be time that they try not to inconvenience the players when they run a charity event. is that too much to ask?
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #59
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

It isn't beside the point. I agree way too much is being made of it here, but people pay money to sit in the tent. It isn't like it is a short walk to the inside in those crowds.

I'm not going to beat on NYRA for trying to do a good thing, but they could do it in a more fan friendly way next year....wear pink pants and helmets if owners don't want to give up the silks for a day.

If you sit in the tent that you paid for and watch races all day that you bet good money on, and you can't hear the calls (you can't), you should be able to at the very least identify your horse on the TV screen. Again, I'm sure the decision wasn't made with the intent to irritate people. However, since that was the result, it should probably be thought about more diligently before it is done again.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #60
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
You probably mean outside, but the flatscreens in the grandstand are nice with sharp pictures.
Yes, since that is where the PA crowd is stationed. It isn't exactly convenient to walk from the festival tent to the grandstand and back 10 or 11 times a day.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: