Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control laws?
Current laws infringe on our rights and should be weakened 21 17.80%
Current laws are just fine, thanks. We don't need anything more 28 23.73%
Current laws are not satisfactory, there are "common sense" adjustments that should be made 69 58.47%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #151
MutuelClerk

Our veterans need work. They don't all return broken. Hire the best of the best ARMED in every school. Make it a good paying job, after all they're going from protecting our country to protecting your kids. Put two in every school. These killers will stop preying on kids. This seems like a middle ground that most should be able to handle.

They will still attack though. Churches, malls, wherever people congregate. When this happens put them there too. Pretty soon we will be close to a police state, people will tire of having a solider on almost every corner. It will force politicians to react. Then and only then will the gun issue and the mental health issue get the attention they deserve and hopefully get resolved.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #152
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
More people are killed by knives than all rifles combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Not even close if you include all firearms vs. knife murders per the fbi's database. Looking at five years from 2009-2013, total firearm deaths(murders) were 64.8k in US. vs. 8.3k for knives. I didn't find the last five years, but would venture a guess that it's probably worse.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2009-2013.xls

I said RIFLE what part of that passed you by? It was in reference to the demonization of the so called "ASSAULT RIFLE." I was NEVER implying knives killed more people than GUNS.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #153
Clocker

Quote:
I said RIFLE what part of that passed you by? It was in reference to the demonization of the so called "ASSAULT RIFLE." I was NEVER implying knives killed more people than GUNS.
And over 60% of gun deaths in this country are suicides. I suspect that the rate of knife suicides is a bit lower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_vi...tates#Suicides
Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #154
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
The problem is that you were taking a subset (rifles) of a entire set (firearms) and comparing it to another entire set (knives).

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)

Last edited by barahona44; 02-19-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #155
Clocker

Oh no, a strong argument to get rid of the 2nd Amendment.

Peter Schiff says that the Russians are big fans of Americans having guns and killing each other. He says Russians were continually posting content on Facebook and other social media sites that were designed to pit Americans against one another.

Quote:
They also trumpeted the Second Amendment. Apparently, the Russians are very big fans of our Second Amendment. They don’t particularly want a Second Amendment of their own, but they’re really glad that we have one. The Russians would be thrilled if we were doing nothing but killing each other every day, and sadly we are.
https://townhall.com/notebook/bethba...dment-n2444856
Old 02-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #156
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
The problem is that you were taking a subset (rifles) of a entire set (guns) and comparing it to another entire set (knives).
The point being made is all of this talk about "assault rifles" (and yes I'm still using quotes since I still don't know what it means and I build the things) is completely disingenuous. They do not cause that many murders in this country compared to knives or a different type of gun being completely ignored.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #157
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
The problem is that you were taking a subset (rifles) of a entire set (firearms) and comparing it to another entire set (knives).
Good point. I'd guess that the homicide rate for death by butter knife is quite low, although I was unable to find any data on that. I suspect that the butter knife industry is suppressing that information.

And it points out that gun control advocates should stop using total firearms related deaths, including hand guns and shotguns, and including suicides, as "proof" that we need to ban "assault rifles".
Old 02-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #158
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Unfortunately, voting anonymously in a poll doesn't represent the tone of this forum nearly as much as the constant alt-right chorus
Yeah, unlike YOUR side of the aisle, endless re-tweets and cartoons. At least the alt side knows how to talk for themselves.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #159
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
The point being made is all of this talk about "assault rifles" (and yes I'm still using quotes since I still don't know what it means and I build the things) is completely disingenuous.
The definition of an "assault rifle" is a conventionally functioning semi-automatic rifle whose evil-looking cosmetic features gets liberal panties in a twist.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #160
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Meaningful discussion is what we need, what we want is some new tweets from people no one knows.
Those anonymous tweeters have far more credibility here than the re-tweeter has!
Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #161
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The definition of an "assault rifle" is a conventionally functioning semi-automatic rifle whose evil-looking cosmetic features gets liberal panties in a twist.

A friend of mine in California had some 100 round drums for .22 rifles sent here until he figured out logistics. Does that turn a .22 rifle into an assault rifle in liberal eyes? Or would they think it made it into a full auto Tommy submachine gun like in the 1920's gangster movies?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #162
elysiantraveller

Quote:
And typically black... which is racist to all the brown guns.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #163
Inner Dirt

Quote:

I wonder if anti gun liberals realize that any magazine feed weapon will hold as many rounds as the magazine allows, which is only determined by the size of the magazine, not by the base weapon itself. It seems to be a popular liberal misconception that the evil "assault rifle" holds more rounds than any other easily available weapon.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #164
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Liberalism lives in delusion.
Truth is only limited by the imagination.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #165
Clocker

Quote:
I wonder if anti gun liberals realize that any magazine feed weapon will hold as many rounds as the magazine allows, which is only determined by the size of the magazine, not by the base weapon itself. It seems to be a popular liberal misconception that the evil "assault rifle" holds more rounds than any other easily available weapon.
Some do. That's why the AWB of 1994 limited the sale of new magazines for any weapon, rifle or hand gun, to 10 rounds.

On the other hand, most gun grabbers appear to limit their concept of YUGE 20-30 round magazines to evil AR-15s and AK-47 lookalikes.

They don't understand that many other styles of rifles, like this Ruger Mini-14 Ranch rifle, can use 30 round magazines:

I don't know if they still carry them, or even if they are still in production, but back in the day you could buy one of these at Wal-Mart.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: