Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
dilanesp

TLG and Andy Beyer analyze the Preakness

Thought y'all might be interested.

dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Thanks for posting. I would have missed it otherwise.

Listening to it, I was repeatedly thinking both of these guys know how to watch replays.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
rsetup
Veteran

Serling is a significantly better race watcher than Beyer.

His analysis of the Gotham is elite.
rsetup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
DeltaLover

Thx for posting!
Old 05-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Dittos!
Old 05-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #6
Thomas Roulston

I used to run into Andy at Belmont occasionally. One time, in 1987, Harvey Pack related that Andy said "No Groovy" in a race on a Saturday. Well Groovy won - and I saw Andy on the elevator on Sunday morning and said to him, "No Groovy, huh?" And he just laughed.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
dilanesp

Serling just nailed the Preakness exacta.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

He was on the winner since before the Derby was declared official...hope he crushed this race as he should have...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
RunForTheRoses

I Couldn't understand Beyer's dis of Chad Brown as a Turf trainer.To me Brown is Frankel Jr-mainly turf horses but competent all around. Also, I do believe the obverse is true, some dirt track hot shot trainers can't get the job done on the turf and are good bet against, but if you show competency on the weeds you are set.

Last edited by RunForTheRoses; 05-20-2017 at 07:19 PM.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #10
RunForTheRoses

All the same have to give Beyer credit for throwing out AD.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #11
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
I Couldn't understand Beyer's dis of Chad Brown as a Turf trainer.To me Brown is Frankel Jr-mainly turf horses but competent all around. Also, I do believe the obverse is true, some dirt track hot shot trainers can't get the job done on the turf and are good bet against, but if you show competency on the weeds you are set.
He's won a gazillion graded turf races, and I think this is either his second or third G1 on dirt. Turf and dirt horses are trained differently, and I think Chad has been learning how to train dirt horses and probably got his diploma today.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #12
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Serling just nailed the Preakness exacta.
yes he did. I watched his piece on the NYRA channel analyzing the all stakes pick 4 at Pimlico....He was spot on the Preakness...Congrats TLG!!!!!

Last edited by thespaah; 05-20-2017 at 10:48 PM.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #13
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
He's won a gazillion graded turf races, and I think this is either his second or third G1 on dirt. Turf and dirt horses are trained differently, and I think Chad has been learning how to train dirt horses and probably got his diploma today.
Brilliant stuff here. Turf horses and dirt horses are trained differently? Quite a revelation.

The facts are that Brown has had mostly turf horses in his barn. But anyone who has been paying attention knows he can train a horse to win on anything.

Love guys that owned 5% of a horse once that are experts on every single subject online. Cue the bullying whine in 3....2....1
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #14
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
Brilliant stuff here. Turf horses and dirt horses are trained differently? Quite a revelation.

The facts are that Brown has had mostly turf horses in his barn. But anyone who has been paying attention knows he can train a horse to win on anything.

Love guys that owned 5% of a horse once that are experts on every single subject online. Cue the bullying whine in 3....2....1
Honestly, I think there are very few trainers who "can't train" on one surface or the other. Among other things, trainers ask each other for advice in unknown situations. And there isn't a lot you can do to "train" a horse for a grass race anymore anyway-- they don't even let horses workout or gallop on turf courses at many tracks.

The usual reason you see a trainer excel on one surface has to do with what's in his barn. I remember Wayne Lukas for years had no turf horses to speak of. Then Daniel Wildenstein started getting him some grass horses, and Lukas did fine with them (and did a great job with Steinlen). He later ended up winning the San Juan Capistrano with Marlin.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #15
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post

You're such an ass.

Exactly what do you have to offer to the subject? Right, nothing, except to be an ass.

Talk to an actual trainer sometime, Einstein, and you might find out a few things.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply