Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #16
ultracapper

The layout is only about 65 feet short of a true 6 1/2 furlongs. I was guessing it would be a bit more than that.

I have always tried to make a case, while handicapping, that one of the splits really isn't comparable to the splits of a true 6 1/2 furlong race, but I think the distance info CJ posted shows that it's quite negligible.

It's hard enough trying to compare that layout to any other in America as it is. If there would have been an appreciable distance difference between one of the splits, it would have made it that much more "Greek".
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2018, 12:02 AM   #17
mikekk

Woodbine's old Marshall Turf Course was a replica to Santa Anita's. Used to be pretty useful for horses that had raced on either course (back before information was so available). I cashed some decent tickets back in the 80's on Santa Anita shippers.

Unfortunately they tore the Marshall up in the 90's when the redesigned the track.
mikekk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2018, 12:46 AM   #18
Dave Schwartz

Good conversations here. Thanks, guys.

One thing to consider is the way they load the gate. If there are just a few horses (LOL - How long has it been since they had a lot of horses?) they have traditionally left the 1st 3 posts empty.

This allows the horses a pretty straight shot, without the worry of getting pinched on the right-hand turn.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-03-2018 at 12:46 AM. Reason: resized image
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #19
jay68802

The pinching and checking usually happens on the left turn. I have always tried to stay away from from horses that are in the 1,2,3 post that have a lot of similar running styles drawn outside of them. When they get to the left hand turn, they tend to get squeezed up against the rail and what was a nice clear outside stalking trip, becomes a stuck against the rail with the speed backing up, bad trip.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply