Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #31
Robert Fischer
clean money

Smile Video Games are the problem

We need some better video games.

How about WALMART VIGILANTE

Set in a Walmart in some Florida or Texas hell-hole?

You play as a good guy with a gun, and you try to shoot the bad guy with a gun, while not getting killed by other heroes who mistakenly believe you are the bad guy due to their limited vantage and their nature.

If you survive the level, you have to survive a surrender to the police.

Increasing difficulty levels;

Level 1 = you are a cop

Level 2 = you are an armed citizen

Level 3 = you are an armed black citizen
Old 02-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #32
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Bury your kid or pay a little to ensure you never have to worry? Public schools created this environment, a few bucks more for something tangible even passes my anti tax stance. I can name a hundred parents right now who wishes they could go back and pay a little..........

I spent my entire adult life dealing with Security issues and the after the fact preventative discussions are always painful. Rarely is anybody ahead of the game....always behind due to $$$

In the 80’s and 90’s we used to do threat assessments. Until lawyers starting using them in lawsuits against those who ignored them. Now, most organizations are guessing.....
I would pay extra taxes for professional security personnel to be on public school campuses in our town.

School shootings don't only happen at public schools. Remember the Amish school shootings... :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_N...chool_shooting

I don't know if there is any way to stop every shooting.

Probably the first place to start is by understanding and practicing good situational awareness. The FBI was notified of the Florida shooter. Government agencies cannot always protect you. You have to protect yourself.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #33
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post

School shootings don't only happen at public schools. Remember the Amish school shootings... :

School shootings by current or former students seem to happen only in public schools. This is clearly not a case of a student taking revenge for what he sees as past offenses against him.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #34
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
School shootings by current or former students seem to happen only in public schools. This is clearly not a case of a student taking revenge for what he sees as past offenses against him.
I don't think we clearly or otherwise yet know why he did what he did. Do we?
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #35
highnote

Quote:
School shootings by current or former students seem to happen only in public schools.
That may be the case. I read or heard that armed security personnel should only be mandatory at schools with 100 or more students. That leaves smaller schools unprotected which is what my point is about. It is probably impossible for every threat to be thwarted.

This is why situational awareness is important. Criminals leave clues that can be detected beforehand.

There were certainly some red flags that were ignored in the Florida school shootings.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #36
boxcar

Quote:
I would pay extra taxes for professional security personnel to be on public school campuses in our town.

I don't know if there is any way to stop every shooting.

Probably the first place to start is by understanding and practicing good situational awareness. The FBI was notified of the Florida shooter. Government agencies cannot always protect you. You have to protect yourself.
An exception never nullifies a general rule.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #37
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
He had been expelled from this school and was attending a different one at the time of the shooting.So it looks as if he indeed had felt wronged by the school, otherwise why not shoot up the school he was attending.Or maybe the local mall if he just wanted innocent victims.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #38
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
An exception never nullifies a general rule.
Exceptions are tail risks and have to be accounted for -- black swans.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #39
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
"Black Swan" won in a photo-finish over "Thanksgiving Turkey" when naming the theory. #interestingfact
Old 02-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #40
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
He had been expelled from this school and was attending a different one at the time of the shooting.So it looks as if he indeed had felt wronged by the school, otherwise why not shoot up the school he was attending.Or maybe the local mall if he just wanted innocent victims.
I was talking about the adult who committed a mass shooting at an Amish school.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #41
boxcar

Quote:
Time would be better spent accounting for all the "white swans", which outnumber their counterparts by a huge ratio, and how to deal with them.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #42
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Time would be better spent accounting for all the "white swans", which outnumber their counterparts by a huge ratio, and how to deal with them.
The thing people do not understand about the concept of Black Swans is that they happen more often than expected. People assume they are rarer than they actually are. People overbet or underestimate their frequency. That is why the losses are so big. Black Swans are where the big losses come from -- Long Term Capital, Amaranth and others.

There are thousands of schools in the U.S. that will never experience a school shooting, but shootings will happen more often than people think. And when they do happen the losses are horrific. Same with domestic terrorist attacks.

Last edited by highnote; 02-19-2018 at 05:55 PM.