Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-14-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
andicap

Private Handicapping Lessons

Has anyone heard of anyone -- besides Dick Mitchell's old $5,000 "Master Course" who gives private or semi-private handicapping lessons.

I'm not looking to take or (jeez, who would even be idiotic enough to do this) give them, but I'm curious if this is being done.
I mean musicians and artists give lessons, why not handicappers? Jeez, you'd probably make more money than writing a book if you were good enough.

Or is it not worth a good handicapper's time? Would he be afraid of giving out his secrets?

I don't mean courses at local colleges or racetracks whiihc I know are done but one-on-one or one with a small group so a fledging handicapper can get personal attention, ask a lot of questions, and discuss individual cards with teachers on a regular basis.

I would think a smart racetrack would help sponsor this as a way of attracting new handicappers who might otherwise be intimidated by the Racing Form and the complexities of the hobby. The courses they give are fine but I bet more people would play if they would learn under a tutoring system.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
Bobby

yea, Jerry Stokes gives lessons/reviews races to groups through e-mail. I'm a subscriber. It's $3 a month. You need his software or book first. He sends out races to go over and ask you to review them and then about a week later goes over how he sees the race. If you've got the time, not bad at all for $3. I personally have a lot of respect for him. Some of ya'll probably think he's a con. I don't. Gambling is gambliing

Last edited by Bobby; 06-14-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
Dave Schwartz

Just a few days ago I spoke with someone from this board who made (get this) well over $1m from racing last year. (No, he is not a client of mine, does not use my software, has nothing to do with me whatsoever. This is not a commercial.)

So, what would you expect to pay to get handicapping lessons from someone making that kind of money?

What do you expect they would demand in the way of money per lesson?

Is there anyone here who would pay $500-$1,000 for an hour of a true professional's time? I think not.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Figman

I received a mailing today from one Edward De'Ath of Arcadia, CA. He claims to be "a documented contest winning champion and corporate honcho who came to Vegas and knocked off 86 handicapping tournaments!"

Now if he only gave private lessons, we all would benefit.
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
so.cal.fan

A winning horseplayer can't possibly teach another his methods and insure them to be successful.
It is not possible.
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

SCF,

I tend to disagree. If people can teach painting, tennis, hitting a golf ball, buying real estate for profit and a myriad of other things, I only have to believe that handicapping could be taught.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Old 06-14-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
fishorsechess

I posted something similar to this recently...see

"How come pro handicappers don't give out private handicapping lessons? "
And some people tell me I don't contribute here.
fishorsechess is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
so.cal.fan

Because Dave, handicapping is an art....more than a science.
You can teach people good methods, sound ideas....but that's as far as it goes.
I could take golf lessons from Tiger Woods, but I still would be an average player at very best.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
Because Dave, handicapping is an art....more than a science.
You can teach people good methods, sound ideas....but that's as far as it goes.
I could take golf lessons from Tiger Woods, but I still would be an average player at very best.
I would say that it is possible but the probability of success would be low i.e. there is someone out there that Tiger could teach to play at the tour level . The student would have to have the tools to work with.

Bill
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
so.cal.fan

Exactly, Bill......one must have the right tools to work with......and part of that means being psychologically suitable to gambling........something I've only ever seen in ONE individual in 40 years of going to the racetrack.
I've known many winners.....but ONLY one person who really was superior in all areas.
Bottom line:
I hung around the paddock with this guy for years, probably 15 years on a daily basis. I learned some good methods from him, but could NEVER acheive his success.....even though I had the opportunity in every race.........I wasn't alone......he had a large following of hanger ons......none of them ever acheived his success either. So it wasn't just me.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:40 PM   #11
alysheba88
Veteran

Are we suggesting Tiger Woods teacher is a better player than him?
alysheba88 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2005, 01:49 PM   #12
JustMissed

Dave, Did you get any proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Just a few days ago I spoke with someone from this board who made (get this) well over $1m from racing last year. Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave, Did the guy give you any proof of his claim that he made a million playing the horses?

He may be pulling you leg.

JM
JustMissed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
Dave Schwartz

Don't know what difference it makes but I have some personal knowledge of the guy. (i.e. common friends)

I also know two others like him, one of whom I have seen the guy's tax return for a couple of years.

Dave Schwartz
Old 06-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #14
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Just a few days ago I spoke with someone from this board who made (get this) well over $1m from racing last year. (No, he is not a client of mine, does not use my software, has nothing to do with me whatsoever. This is not a commercial.)

So, what would you expect to pay to get handicapping lessons from someone making that kind of money?

What do you expect they would demand in the way of money per lesson?

Is there anyone here who would pay $500-$1,000 for an hour of a true professional's time? I think not.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Not to be overly cynical Dave, but I think it's fair to assume this guy is a huge bettor who is also getting a substantial rebate.

Am I wrong?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #15
hurrikane

can't teach handicapping..utter nonsense!!!!!!!!!

Dave, I have spent much more to spend time with much less.

not everyone up here would laugh at the opportunity. any entreprenuer would do it in a heartbeat. With one thing in mind. Take what they teach and make it better. Samething I am sure these guys did.

Seems the one saying you can't teach it are the ones saying you (or they) can't beat the game. BS!!!
hurrikane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply