Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #121
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Gary is right. I can't see how playing that course would be an enjoyable experience.
Gary's attitude is that one size must fit all. The course was built for championship golf played by elite players not for Mr and Mrs Havecamp with their 20+ handicaps. I would love to play the course because I enjoy challenging courses but not at $300 a pop.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #122
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
Gary's attitude is that one size must fit all. The course was built for championship golf played by elite players not for Mr and Mrs Havecamp with their 20+ handicaps. I would love to play the course because I enjoy challenging courses but not at $300 a pop.
You must be an exceptional golfer.

Last edited by mountainman; 06-27-2015 at 11:25 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #123
DJofSD
Screw PC

https://ncrdb.usga.org/NCRDB/courseT...?CourseID=3943

Golfers carrying a higher index can always use the forward tees.

Join the golf club and wait until after mid-July, you can play for $150.

P.S. Make sure your shoes are a good fit. It is a walking only track, so, just like the pros you'll be hiking up and down, hill and dale.

P.P.S. How many other venues which have hosted a US Open are accessible to the public? I know there are a few and off the top of my head I can think of 3: Torrey Pines (my backyard), Beth Page (Black) and Pinehurst.

Last edited by DJofSD; 06-27-2015 at 11:37 AM.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #124
Greyfox

For me, golf is a good ride spoiled.

I won't even walk our local tracks anymore, far less a monster like Chambers Bay.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #125
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Pebble Beach is public, isn't it? Or somewhat accessible, for the right amount?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #126
DJofSD
Screw PC

I was never sure about course fees on the Monterey Peninsula until now when I looked for the specifics.

PB is accessible to the general public and it is a part of a resort. If you are not a guest of the resort you pay an additional fee for a cart. I know from a couple of different email offers I receive throughout the year, if you stay and play as a part of the package, the green fees are not as bad as just a pay-to-play user which about $495 per round (http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/pebb.../current-rates).

So I guess that makes 4 courses accessible by the public that have hosted the US Open. BTW, the US Open is coming back to Pebble in a couple of years.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #127
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
You must be an exceptional golfer.
Exceptional is a relative term. I play well enough that I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of a championship course. I am a definite golfoholic. I am either playing or practicing every day.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2015, 03:10 AM   #128
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
Exceptional is a relative term. I play well enough that I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of a championship course. I am a definite golfoholic. I am either playing or practicing every day.
I'm totally into golf and hit the shag range or course four or five times a week. Through costly instruction and lots of work, I've corrected most of my over-the-top move. But it's my own realization that I need to stop chicken-winging, keep my head behind the ball, and extend my arms down the target line that has me excited and playing better than ever right now. And "better" is another relative term. Unless the course is short and flat, I'm thrilled to shoot low 80's. And I still shank the short irons on occasion.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #129
DJofSD
Screw PC

After the win

http://blog.darrencarroll.com/2015/0...after-the-win/

What the TV cameras did not catch.