Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-19-2005, 04:21 AM   #1
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

Our first 2yo hype horse of '05

I thought about posting about What A Song yesterday, he's a 2-year-old son of freshman stallion Songandaprayer who brought $1.9 million at sale. He'd been working up a storm out West for trainer Bob Baffert---and a horse owner/radio tout from out that way told me he was a very talented individual a few weeks ago. He debuted today in the 2nd race at Hollywood Park and won handily by about 4 lengths--he paid $2.60 to win--as I figured he might. The fact that he went to post at 1-to-5 odds, in his debut, against a solid looking field of maidens, suggests to me that the buzz about him was awful strong.

He ran over two full seconds faster than older claiming fillies did, at the same distance, a half an hour earlier. For those who aren't students of speed figures, two seconds at 5.5 furlongs equals 31 Beyer Speed Figure points. So, this horse almost certainly ran a Beyer figure in the 90's. The highest Beyer figure posted by a 2-year-old so far this year, came on June 5th when 2nd time starter Bashert ran 5.5 furlongs in 1:03.49 at Hollywood Park, earning him a 98 Beyer. It's worth noting that What A Song's raw final time was 1/3rd (0.33 seconds) slower than Bashert. I'd look for What A Song's Beyer to come back in the mid-to-low 90's.

There isn't much in the pedigree to like this horse's chances of becoming a contender for the '06 Classic races--but his precocious and speed oriented pedigree will help make him a legit threat in a quest for a 2yo division title this year. You have to dig deep (REALLY DEEP!) into his female family to find a real positive influance of stamina and class. What A Song's 5th dam, the unraced Feather Time, is a half sister to 1953 Blue Grass Stakes winner and 1954 Hollywood Gold Cup winner Correspondent. At best case scenerio, it looks like Baffert might have another type like Flame Thrower or Officer on his hands with this one--but there's no doubt that talent is there. So this guy rates as the first 2yo hype horse of his crop.
DrugSalvastore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2005, 04:50 AM   #2
how cliche
How Cliche

If Songandaprayer wasn't sound one can seriously doubt this one will be too.
how cliche is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2005, 05:56 AM   #3
plainolebill

I don't think Baffert worries about stamina in the pedigree. I remember his comments about (paraphrasing) - you can teach them to run long but you can't teach them to run fast.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2005, 01:57 PM   #4
chrisg

If given the choice, I'd take the runner up, Stevie Wonderboy ; ( I can'
t believe I'm commenting a 5.5f race) his race was good & I like the bloodlines.
chrisg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

He damn sure won the post parade contest. He looked awesome.

He ran awesome..............what's to bitch about, so far. But I think they paid too much for him..........
Old 06-19-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
bdhsheets

"But I think they paid too much for him.........."

$1.9mill is walking around money for Bob Lewis, but I agree. I'd never pay a dime for cripple bloodlines.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:23 AM   #7
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrugSalvastore
I'd look for What A Song's Beyer to come back in the mid-to-low 90's.
It's now up on DRF's website--he got a 92. I was thinking it would come back a 93--but one point off is nothing. No one loves to scrutinize the figure makers more than I do. Nothing gets me more excited than when they blow a figure.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
chrisg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg
If given the choice, I'd take the runner up, Stevie Wonderboy ; ( I can'
t believe I'm commenting a 5.5f race) his race was good & I like the bloodlines.
Well What a Song did win the Hollywood Juvenile on Saturday. Stevie Wonderboy ran 3rd, but I did hear Randy Moss mention him on Wire to Wire as a horse to watch.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:40 PM   #9
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

He looked SUPER impressive to me yesterday in a Grade 2 score at Del Mar. I still say he is another Officer/Flame Thrower type---this horse really should make it to the Juvenille undefeated like those prior two---and just like those two---go down in flames at a short price in the betting. I spent A LOT of time digging through this horses female family after he broke his maiden...and there is nothing at all to suggest he can maintain his ability going a route of ground---and nothing at all to suggest that he can develop and improve with age.

Still, it's fun to see horses like this...and when they have as much pure talent as this guy does....you never do know for sure.

By the way, The man who tabbed Stevie Wonderboy out of the maiden race made a good call. He obviously has more future upside than What A Song, but he doesn't have comparable raw talent...and Stevie Wonderboy does look like a type who makes his own trouble...still, that is certainly a horse who is capable of being any kind.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:31 AM   #10
linrom1
Veteran

What a Song does not have a sprinter's dosage profile. He looks like a foreign born horse.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #11
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

Great Call by Chris G

Stevie Wonderboy took the Grade 1 Del Mar Futirty in super impressive fashion today. He made a powerful and extremely wide move on the far turn, and won with disdainful ease by a rather large margin.

Stevie Wonderboy does still have one very big issue he needs to address, he still needs to prove that he is a horse who doesn't make his own trouble. 24-Karat Garret Gomez took him VERY wide today, to pretty much ensure that he wouldn't find any trouble---but make no mistake, a day will soon come when this horse finds a field that is to tough to circle around. That aside, this is a real exciting young horse right now--and if he can mature and improve upon his bad habit, than this horse could be A LOT of fun to watch.

Props to Chris G on the call.

It was real sad to see that Baffert couldn't keep What A Song alive through his entire 2yo season. He had just remarkable raw talent--and it's a shame he didn't get the entire season to prove what he can do. That's horse racing though!

That 5.5 furlong maiden race has sure proven to have been SUPER PRODUCTIVE. The winner, What A Song came out of it to win two Graded Stakes in his next two starts. His latest was a Grade 2 win with a 105 beyer. He lost his life a week later. The 2nd place finisher, Stevie Wonderboy just captured a Grade 1 win at Del Mar, going away, in very stylish fashion. The 3rd place finisher, Bengel Lore also broke his maiden at Del Mar with a 90 Beyer.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #12
chrisg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrugSalvastore
Stevie Wonderboy took the Grade 1 Del Mar Futirty in super impressive fashion today. He made a powerful and extremely wide move on the far turn, and won with disdainful ease by a rather large margin.
...Props to Chris G on the call.
Thanks. (I thought it was a G2).

I don't think he'll be a Derby contender though. Still haven't seen the race, but on paper it looks good.