Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
DJofSD
Screw PC

Sweet Catomine

The you-know-what hit the fan this morning. Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union Tribune leveled charges that critical information about Sweet Catomine was delibrately withheld from the public. Information that likely would have put the public off the horse.

No link at present exists at the web site. If it becomes available later I'll update the thread.

DJofSD
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
bdhsheets

What sort of info is he talking about? That Canani wasn't administering shakes yesterday? LOL
Old 04-10-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
so.cal.fan

I just heard that SC had bled and was sick last week....they took her up to Santa Barbara for treatment....but decided to run her anyway, when Marty Wygod was asked why he didn't disclose this to the public......he replied"no one asked"
I don't know if this is true or not.....however, I was told this by a pretty reliable source at Santa Anita......if it's true.........
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

From DRF

Here is some of it:

Quote:
After the race, owner Marty Wygod came to the press box and said that Sweet Catomine had bled in her final workout on Sunday and was sent to a vet clinic for the next 48 hours earlier this week. Wygod said he had contemplated scratching Sweet Catomine before the race. None of this was disclose by Wygod or trainer Julio Canani when asked specifically about the filly's condition on Wednesday.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
Misteranthropic
Slightly annoyed

More suspect than lack of disclosure about SC's condition is the amount of money that filly took in a field of colts. Kinda like girls playing basketball against the boys.
Misteranthropic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misteranthropic
More suspect than lack of disclosure about SC's condition is the amount of money that filly took in a field of colts. Kinda like girls playing basketball against the boys.
Let's not get carried away now, its not like fillies have never beaten colts. I have no doubt that SC would have won the Juvenile last year if she was in that race. But yesterday, I didn't really think she had a shot.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #7
Misteranthropic
Slightly annoyed

I was kidding around a little actually. I figured her for fourth yesterday, and just missed with the General.

The nice thing about a huge underlay is the great overlays left on the table.
Misteranthropic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
kenwoodallpromos

Even worse!

Even worse, Wilko's connections did not disclose they would box SC in.
Thought eveyone on this thread knew over 90% of all runners bleed. Many through lasix. It is part of thoroughbred physiology. Horses that run farther than they are supposed to in nature have physical reactions.
Major media idiots that hardly ever cover horses and would not know which end of a horse to interview I expect that from. It is racing's fault they do not properly educate the jounalists and public that some trainers take precautions.
I did not notice the results charts saying SC was "eased".
I wonder how many who bet the horse are mad Canani did not use a milkshake on her?
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #9
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
I just heard that SC had bled and was sick last week....they took her up to Santa Barbara for treatment....but decided to run her anyway, when Marty Wygod was asked why he didn't disclose this to the public......he replied"no one asked"
I don't know if this is true or not.....however, I was told this by a pretty reliable source at Santa Anita......if it's true.........
This is just pure GREED on the owners part.
Here you have a nice filly and they are indangering her career by running her when she isnt right. I would also bet you that they have now ruined this filly.
ALL in the name of MONEY!
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #10
kenwoodallpromos

Tom:

"Here you have a nice filly and they are indangering her career by running her when she isnt right".
Maybe as a horseman you know more about blanket statements concerning bleeding by your statement than I. But I certainly do not have access to the test results or know what went on at the facility.
I assumed they do not want to kill a million dollar horse and the track vet is supposed to be told if a condition exists that would keep her from the race.
I am more concerned about SA and other Magna tracks hurting horse by being too hard and fast to be safe. At least they are now montitoring SA track speed.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #11
kenwoodallpromos

Rouse

Did anyone stop to consider that this could be very minor bleeding and the treatment, clearasnce to run by Magna, and post-race disclosure could have been to get bigger odds in the derby? My guess is she will run at a big overlay!
Old 04-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #12
DJofSD
Screw PC

OK. Here's the link to the story. You decide.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...van/index.html

DJofSD
Old 04-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #13
DJofSD
Screw PC

It is part of thoroughbred physiology. Horses that run farther than they are supposed to in nature have physical reactions.

B.S.

Go watch what even low level three day event horses do.

Don't tell me it's too far for them to run. Horse pucky.

DJofSD
Old 04-10-2005, 04:26 PM   #14
chrisg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodallpromos
...Wilko's connections did not disclose they would box SC in...
I don't think that "boxing" her in excuse holds up.
chrisg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #15
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodallpromos
"Here you have a nice filly and they are indangering her career by running her when she isnt right".
Maybe as a horseman you know more about blanket statements concerning bleeding by your statement than I. But I certainly do not have access to the test results or know what went on at the facility.
I assumed they do not want to kill a million dollar horse and the track vet is supposed to be told if a condition exists that would keep her from the race.
I am more concerned about SA and other Magna tracks hurting horse by being too hard and fast to be safe. At least they are now montitoring SA track speed.
Stress makes a horse bleed, When this filly bled in her workout, OBVIOUSLY something was wrong BEFORE she worked, She may have issues that none of us know about.This may have been know to the trainer beforehand and never disclosed to the unsuspecting owner (MANY Trainers are afraid to tell their owners something is wrong).As for Magna tracks being too hard???...Hasnt California tracks always been speed favoring?.When this filly bled after her workout, She shouldnt have even been considered for that race. Takes at least 2 weeks for her to heal inside, It is a shame to see this when you have a nice horse.Mark my words, This bleeding thing will eventually cheapen her or send her on to a early trip to the breeding shed.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply