Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: What best decribes your betting on horses?
Poll Options
What best decribes your betting on horses?

Old 10-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
JimG

Betting on the Horses?

How much do you bet on horses compared to 5 years ago?
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
RaceBookJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
How much do you bet on horses compared to 5 years ago?
I dont play as often as i used to just due to being busier. My bet amount/race has stayed the same though.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I bet about the same number of days, more races per day, more money per race.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
edgar

I just picked it up again a few years ago after ten years of very sporadic play. I work on it many hours per week now yet bet infrequently. When I first started speed handicapping I would try to run five tracks at a time with a pen and a calculator (while drinking beer too). I often wish I could go back twenty years with the tools I have now. I hope to increase my wagers in the future but that will come only with success.
edgar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
LottaKash

I don't wager nearly the same amount as in times past...

I am much more "spot specific" these days, and wager only when I truly believe that I have the best of it....Consequently, I play many fewer races that before...Still, I wager more on the races I feel a true edge, but certainly less overall than in the past...

Funny thing tho, as I mellow more and more with each passing season, my "Need for Action" has diminished drastically, in more recent times... ...And that, is a very good thing.... Steady Black Ink as a result....
Old 10-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
RichieP

5 years ago I was betting about 50k a year, in the last 15 months not a dime.

Life is completely different now and to be honest I don't think I would have a chance to stay ahead or even in today's racing environment.

Jim G sending you and everyone the best vibes for a happy life!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9H9T...eature=related
Old 10-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP

Life is completely different now and to be honest I don't think I would have a chance to stay ahead or even in today's racing environment.

Thanks for replying and I am glad things are going so great for you. You deserve it. Enjoy.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
mountainman

much, much less. just too busy with work, and have developed other interests.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
johnhannibalsmith

I bet way, way, way less in terms of both money and number of races. I tend to focus on a single local track that I can concentrate on. I've gone from being at the track and playing nearly every live race to one degree or another with a few plays elsewhere, to away from the track and in front of a computer all day long with no way to bet on the races at all. Ironically, if I could bet from my computer, I'd probably be betting as much or more than ever on the local races... for better or for worse...

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP

Good to hear from you Richie.Been a while.Glad everything is going well for you.Reading the fact you walked away from this game and everyone else's resignation sounding posts,while I'm having decent success and decent odds,and am enjoying this game,I'm feeling more like this video than that one!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBwgX8yBqsw
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Vinnie

Richie P:

Hope that all is well with you and your family? Nothing but super positive karma coming your way Always...

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I would be interested in a similar poll that asked about churn.

How many dollars you put back and forth through the windows now versus 5 or 10 years ago.

Not sure how to write the poll.......any suggestions?
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I bet less, but not because I've lost interest. Just have a lot more bills that have to be paid first than I did back then. It turns into a bad cycle when I can play because the less I play, the more I fall out of practice, the less I win, and the less I can play. I'll get back in right one of these days, but it's been a while.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I play less than 5 years ago, but that is only due to the AllData Project, and all the time involved in R&D, updates, upgrades, and most importantly, user support functions.

5 years ago I was playing less than when I was a full time player, but my bottom line was about the same as it was before burning out as a full time player. Today, about the only time I play superfectas, my preferred wager type (and most profitable one), is on big racing cards like the TC and BC cards. I just don't have the time to handicap for superfecta play, on a daily basis, like I used to, as superfecta handicapping is much more time intensive than any other type of play, having to select place, show, and 4th place finishers as well as the for winners.

I have been playing a little more recently, the last few weeks or so, due to some easier track testing methods I developed, allowing me to hone in on many more positive tested tracks and rankings/odds ranges available now. So, I've been win wagering, primarily, testing those new methods in real time, with real money, the only accurate way of finding out if what you're doing is profitable. Playing "on paper" is fine, and I thoroughly encourage doing that, but there comes a time when you have to put your money at risk, in order to see if you can actually do exactly what your testing tells you to do. Can you pass races that the testing says to pass? Can you pull the trigger on high priced selections that the testing says is long term profitable? Can you keep from being distracted by the way the public bets, or the announcers' analysis of the horses in specific races, etc..

Only live, real money wagering will tell you if you're long term profitable or not, all the testing in the world won't tell you that, because testing doesn't take discipline, patience, and consistency, on a daily basis, when you have your money at risk.

You can talk a good game easily, playing a good game is a different world.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
BreadandButter

I'm doing more now. I would attribute this mainly due to the technological advances such as RTN, competitive ADWs, hand held devices etc..

With RTN I'm able to record any performance I want, fast forward, rewind, pause with ease - I get the full race and head on replays. I’m finding the rebates offered are much more competitive now then they were 5-10 years ago. I believe this is a result of so many ADWs in the market competing for customers. Hand held devices now make it easy to go through some pps, watch replays where ever I maybe with 10-15 mins of downtime.

I remember the days when I would often have to drive 40 mins each way to pick up the pps in the AM - then drive another 50+ mins each way to a track that eve, drop over $25 in parking, tips etc before even sitting down at a table prior to the first race. Does any body remember the days tracks would sell you a copy of a performance for between $25-$50 and that’s if you provided them with a blank VHS tape?

I know of a full time player that has only seen a handful of races live in his lifetime. The technology that exists today is the only reason he's in the game.
BreadandButter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: