Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-15-2024, 08:27 AM   #16
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Much more likely than terrorism in the name of a cause, or some unpaid Super Bowl wager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Hearing reports that this was a gang related shooting
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2024, 08:32 AM   #17
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
We don't blame the gun because it isn't the gun that kills. But now we'll blame the INTERNET?
If Margie was referring to a myriad of wires and computer chips instead of a vast collection of information, both good and bad, your comparison would be correct. She wasn't. The person pulling the trigger kills, not an inanimate object. People's motivations today are largely shaped by information they obtain from the internet.

There is no such thing as "gun violence". When an innocent person is intentionally killed or injured by a gun, it is criminal misuse of a firearm.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:06 PM   #18
Al Gobbi

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...source=twitter

It appears that this incident surpasses the usual type of mass shooting even if those involved in the investigation won't tell us considering juveniles and groups are apparently involved.
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2024, 12:19 PM   #19
davew

this happens all the time in third world countries. It is the new norm as democrats turn country into shithole.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2024, 12:47 PM   #20
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
re: The Internet

It wasn't that long ago when you met someone for the first time you looked each other in the eye and shook hands.

We judged each other mainly by how we treated others.

Out of that came mutual respect.

My own default was, and I'd like to think still is, mutual respect for others until proven otherwise.

The Internet changed the way we interact with each other.

Imo, not necessarily for the better.

-jp
Old 02-15-2024, 12:57 PM   #21
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
re: The Internet

It wasn't that long ago when you met someone for the first time you looked each other in the eye and shook hands.

We judged each other mainly by how we treated others.

Out of that came mutual respect.

My own default was, and I'd like to think still is, mutual respect for others until proven otherwise.

The Internet changed the way we interact with each other.

Imo, not necessarily for the better.

-jp
Very well said Jeff. I think a lot of these mass shootings stem from "road rage" from the internet.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:08 PM   #22
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
If Margie was referring to a myriad of wires and computer chips instead of a vast collection of information, both good and bad, your comparison would be correct. She wasn't. The person pulling the trigger kills, not an inanimate object. People's motivations today are largely shaped by information they obtain from the internet.

There is no such thing as "gun violence". When an innocent person is intentionally killed or injured by a gun, it is criminal misuse of a firearm.
Is it your contention that what motivated the actions of the gunmen in Kansas City was some "information that they obtained from the internet"?
Old 02-15-2024, 01:38 PM   #23
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Is it your contention that what motivated the actions of the gunmen in Kansas City was some "information that they obtained from the internet"?
Early indications are that the Kansas City shooting was gang related.

I think the internet is a double edged sword. It enables an incredible wealth of knowledge to be distributed (the good) but also can be the source of much discontent (the bad) which can lead to tragedies (the ugly).
Old 02-15-2024, 01:51 PM   #24
Inner Dirt

This is getting very little coverage compared to the scale of this tragedy.
No pictures or description of the suspects, that tells me there is a 99% chance they are a minority. If a straight white man shot up a parade his picture and his description would hit the internet before the gun barrel was cool to the touch.What I think is ridiculously stupid is lefty people of color claim news coverage of crimes is biased against them, when it is the exact opposite. Are they that damn blind?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2024, 02:01 PM   #25
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

In the days before the internet, how did we learn about news like shootings? It was mainly television and newspapers. At some point afterwards, visibility and exposure to that specific event would begin to fade over time, and would almost fade completely away until there was a specific effort by someone of a particular position (like a program director in charge at a major tv station or an editor at a major newspaper) to bring it back up on their specific media. You or I could not do that because we did not have the forum to do so.

Enter the internet. Now the history of a event is contained somewhere within, and virtually any individual at any time can choose to revisit/review and expose/discuss to masses of individuals either via the internet and/or social media.

The internet is a great tool, but like any tool, it can be used for both good and evil. Bad individuals and gangs are unfortunately go to use it to carry out unlawful and evil acts.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2024, 02:22 PM   #26
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
but you're right....this is an inexcusable tragedy.

Any chance we can get assault-style weapons under tighter control?
No........I thought not. Carry on....but quit offering lame comparisons.
Times have changed. Laws should too.

I'll hold back on my "Tots n Pears" meme.
For now.

What is an assault style weapon? I really enjoy hearing lefties talk out their ass, as they do. It seems every state defines an "assault style" weapon differently. Are you aware what classifies a rifle as an assault rifle by our armed forces? I can't remember the state but one of them defines an assault rifle as a rifle that has two or more of a list of features. Two of the items on the list were Picatinny rail and a barrel shroud. I think most lefty dim wits think a perforated barrel shroud is one scary item.

If you are going to ban "assault rifles" I would suggest banning hammers and rocks first, as more people are killed by bludgeoning than all rifles combined.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:29 PM   #27
MargieRose

Quote:

I think the internet is a double edged sword. It enables an incredible wealth of knowledge to be distributed (the good) but also can be the source of much discontent (the bad) which can lead to tragedies (the ugly).
Very perceptive and exactly what I meant! Bravo!!
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2024, 02:31 PM   #28
fast4522

Quote:

Sure news agency's will focus on ugly news faster than 20 or 30 years ago via the internet, but also those ugly stories have never ending life that sick people want to make a splash for the 5 minutes received by every media center around the country. The less coverage these imbeciles receive will favor less crazy thought in doing these horrible acts in the first place.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2024, 02:49 PM   #29
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Won't hear much about this one tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/thee_goon0909/st...89429971075573

I love how dip shit Democrats keep saying we need "common sense" gun laws. I wonder if they are referring to ones like this:

Can felons own firearms in the US?

18 U.S.C. 922(g) is the federal law that prohibits anyone ever convicted of any felony to ever possess any firearm either inside or outside of his home. The federal punishment for firearm possession by a felon is up to 10 years in prison.

I would bet everything I have against a pitcher of beer and a pizza that average time served for conviction of the above crime is not even 10 weeks.
Every time I see a person of color commit a homicide, looking up their police record I will usually find one or more illegal gun possession convictions with no time served. I think the longest sentence I have seen is 6 months. The guy that shot 3 UVA football players while they were sleeping coming back from a field trip on a bus had two illegal carry convictions he did not serve any time for. If he had gotten jut 6 months each he would have been in jail, not on that bus, 3 young college athletes would still be alive.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:54 PM   #30
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
In the days before the internet, how did we learn about news like shootings? It was mainly television and newspapers. At some point afterwards, visibility and exposure to that specific event would begin to fade over time, and would almost fade completely away until there was a specific effort by someone of a particular position (like a program director in charge at a major tv station or an editor at a major newspaper) to bring it back up on their specific media. You or I could not do that because we did not have the forum to do so.

Enter the internet. Now the history of a event is contained somewhere within, and virtually any individual at any time can choose to revisit/review and expose/discuss to masses of individuals either via the internet and/or social media.

The internet is a great tool, but like any tool, it can be used for both good and evil. Bad individuals and gangs are unfortunately go to use it to carry out unlawful and evil acts.
As well, clarity of thought. Bravo!!
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply