Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #16
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Mark and Nancy do a great job providing insight regarding trainers, owners, shippers and the inner workings of the Mountaineer backstretch. Mark has incredible recall and seems to remember every horses past performance.
I agree that they obviously know their sh@t but it is the presentation that can be worked on. Appearance is everything and not just physical. BTW I follow their picks and they don’t really do that well. They know the game but just don’t pick a lot of winners. It’s one of the toughest night tracks to handicap even in a short field. Mark comes up with angles for every horse to win before each race so that whatever horse wins he comes back after the race and says “ I told you so and so could etc”. Most of the time he picks wrong but always takes credit for what he pointed out before each race to make himself look good. We will have to agree to disagree on the presentation of these two.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #17
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
I honestly don’t know who you are but would love to listen in on some horse racing podcasts . What are the better ones around? Can you provide a link to yours ? Also since I see you are connected to Mountaineer maybe you can answer me a question. The Mountaineer commentators ( I won’t mention names because I don’t want to offend ) seem to have been doing that gig for quite some time. Would it be unfair of me to say they are the most boring and monotone commentators ever in horse racing? I love Mountaineer horse racing but these two honestly bring zero excitement to the game. Tampa Bay had a similar issue with Margo for years and years then they replaced her with “ Shades”. It just cracks me up. Some of these tracks are stuck in the 70’s and 80’s and have a different audience since all those fans have been dying off.

Really? Did Clark Kent's glasses also fool you?

RR
Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #18
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
"I honestly don't know who you are..."

followed

"they are the most boring and monotone commentators ever in horse racing"

Troll warning, where is my siren?
lol....I've been knocked for being toooo enthusiastic..but never for being dull..this guy is carrying somebody else's water. have a pretty good idea who is pulling his strings...but won't go there...his post just doesn't pass the smell test...and i don't slay trolls...he says he has noooooo idea who i am..and then coincidentally begins knocking mark patterson.....ru kidding me??? did he think that would fool a corleone?? lol..
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #19
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post
A fantastic card is slated at MVRC on Monday Nov. 19. 10 Races with an average of almost 11 horses entered to run in each race. The total purses for the day will be close to a half million dollars. The Hollywood Gaming Mahoning Distaff has a 75K purse and The Steel Valley Sprint's purse is $250K. Joe Bravo, Tyler Gaffalione, Channing Hill, Eurico Da Silva, Brian Hernandez, and Jose Lezcano are all named to ride that day.

After a speed favoring bias for the meet's 1st 2 weeks ended, a day of illogical longshots lit up the totes. Since then, the track has played favorably to all. Horses sitting just off the pace seemed to have a slight advantage the last 2 days. That all could change of course. Freezing rain, followed by a cold steady rain, followed by about 2 inches of snow will make Saturday's card very interesting. It should be dry and fast by Monday. SO SEND IT IN!

RR
When I dove in a week ago I found the track fair (with the slight caveat that wide closers had little chance the first several days I played), but that certainly changed yesterday when the rail played somewhat dead.

Have feeling the surface was slowly reverting to its basic nature: slightly better for slightly wide trips around the turn....but also no haven for sweeping kickers.

Hope all is well for you, Ron.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #20
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rispa View Post
What the heck is an intrinsic quirk? Could you give an example of one??
Basically, a dry mvr surfce tends to fvor wide(ish) stalkers that bid aggressively on the turn. Oddly enough, inside closers, or those that find a ground-saving seam also do well. Sometimes it really seems like the footing is dead rail on the far turn, but rail favoring through the late stages.

Also, all things being equal, wide closers lose lots of momentum off the final turn and must rebid, unlike at some tracks where they keep charging forward despite ground loss. The jocks do complain there of inadequate banking on the turns.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-16-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #21
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Also since I see you are connected to Mountaineer maybe you can answer me a question. The Mountaineer commentators ( I won’t mention names because I don’t want to offend ) seem to have been doing that gig for quite some time. Would it be unfair of me to say they are the most boring and monotone commentators ever in horse racing? I love Mountaineer horse racing but these two honestly bring zero excitement to the game.
Dude...

I mean, dude.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #22
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
lol....I've been knocked for being toooo enthusiastic..but never for being dull..this guy is carrying somebody else's water. have a pretty good idea who is pulling his strings...but won't go there...his post just doesn't pass the smell test...and i don't slay trolls...he says he has noooooo idea who i am..and then coincidentally begins knocking mark patterson.....ru kidding me??? did he think that would fool a corleone?? lol..
You can believe me or not I honestly did not know who you were. Now i know . If you are offended by my construcitive critisism so be it. Too enthusiastic ? r u kidding me?
Old 11-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #23
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Mark and Nancy do a great job providing insight regarding trainers, owners, shippers and the inner workings of the Mountaineer backstretch. Mark has incredible recall and seems to remember every horses past performance.
tx, sir. I was once named one of america's top 10 racing analysts. and america is very big country.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #24
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
You can believe me or not I honestly did not know who you were. Now i know . If you are offended by my construcitive critisism so be it. Too enthusiastic ? r u kidding me?
Old 11-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #25
castaway01

Quote:
Basically, a dry mvr surfce tends to fvor wide(ish) stalkers that bid aggressively on the turn. Oddly enough, inside closers, or those that find a ground-saving seam also do well. Sometimes it really seems like the footing is dead rail on the far turn, but rail favoring through the late stages.

Also, all things being equal, wide closers lose lots of momentum off the final turn and must rebid, unlike at some tracks where they keep charging forward despite ground loss. The jocks do complain there of inadequate banking on the turns.
I will say though that I have never placed a bet on Mahoning Valley in my life, but after this thread I'm actually going to take a closer look. Thanks to you and RRpic for the interesting info.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #26
mountainman

Quote:
Sir, anybody in the public eye is offended by ANY criticism...constructive, or otherwise. But since 95% of the feedback i have gotten (for years) has been praise, maybe I AM overly touchy when somebody just doesn't dig what I do.

So, be well, and best of luck betting Mahoning. Stick with it.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #27
mountainman

Quote:

*favor
Old 11-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #28
mountainman

Quote:
I will say though that I have never placed a bet on Mahoning Valley in my life, but after this thread I'm actually going to take a closer look. Thanks to you and RRpic for the interesting info.
From what I know of you, my prediction is you will do well, sir.

fwiw, your conviction and individuality make your posts must read for me.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #29
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
"I honestly don't know who you are..."

followed

"they are the most boring and monotone commentators ever in horse racing"

Troll warning, where is my siren?
not sure how he is still afforded membership
Old 11-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #30
timtam

I think getting the Post time favorite when one or more of your horses is

scratched is one of the worst conditions for betting Pick 3's etc. Like we

say at the OTB if I wanted the favorite I would have put him in my Pick 3.

I'm for consolation all the way. When I see a horse scratched and they

announce you get the Post time fav I head to the window and bet something

else. Anything else because that PTF is going to finish up the track FOR SURE!

Worst situation to be in and there are many more that are very close.
timtam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: