Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
CheckMark

Really sick and tired of this

Not sure why they do this but the gate crew if a horse is not angled in correctly or not go in right, the gate crew (can be anyone) lashes the horse with the straps for them to lead the horse in or whip them constantly until he gets in. Proof that this is bad for the horses is 2 examples below
Today
R7 Belmont lashed with leather #2 finished 4th

R5 Gulfstream whipped a little #6 8th

I see this all the time everywhere and it is so stupid. We just need to be like there UK with 1 guy on ONE HORSE AND THAT IS ALL. And it’s just not in the us, it’s in Canada and in Japan. We can’t be normal anymore.
CheckMark is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
airford1

First it's poor horsemanship when the horse refuses to load and I agree there is no need for the wipe at the ankles to get a horse to load.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #3
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
First it's poor horsemanship when the horse refuses to load and I agree there is no need for the wipe at the ankles to get a horse to load.
I agree. It makes no sense and is wrong to take a horse that through fear is reluctant to go into the claustrophobic enclosed space of the starting gate stall and to increase its fear with a whip.

Having said this, I have also seen several assistant starters kindly and wisely pet and sooth the horse at and in the gate. I guess kindness and intelligence varies in assistant starters. They do have a difficult and dangerous job.

Last edited by bobphilo; 09-27-2018 at 09:12 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2018, 05:00 AM   #4
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Not sure why they do this but the gate crew if a horse is not angled in correctly or not go in right, the gate crew (can be anyone) lashes the horse with the straps for them to lead the horse in or whip them constantly until he gets in. Proof that this is bad for the horses is 2 examples below
Today
R7 Belmont lashed with leather #2 finished 4th

R5 Gulfstream whipped a little #6 8th

I see this all the time everywhere and it is so stupid. We just need to be like there UK with 1 guy on ONE HORSE AND THAT IS ALL. And it’s just not in the us, it’s in Canada and in Japan. We can’t be normal anymore.
In the uk, if the horse doesn’t load, they race without him, that’s very rare in the us due to the money involved.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
bobphilo

I think it's due to the different training methods here and the U.K.
American race horses are more like tightly wound speed balls ready to explode out of the gate from he start. In the U.K. training methods are more low key. Sometimes horses are seen waking calmly through the streets of nearby towns.

Yes, they have their share of bad actors at the gate there but I was amazed when I first saw how before the hurdle races in particular the horses calmly walk up to the starting line like soldiers in formation without incident. Yes, I know hurdlers are like a different breed in terms of temperament but even the flat racers seem calmer as a result of their training there.

One technique that I see more commonly in the U.K. is the use of the hood and spinning the horse around so the horse is temporarily disoriented and doesn't realize he's going into the small space of the gate. They are not as quick to go to the whip there, both at the gate and during the race as well.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
In the uk, if the horse doesn’t load, they race without him, that’s very rare in the us due to the money involved.

Allan
I saw this recently at one of the UK tracks: horse refused to load and the gate crew blindfolded him, threw a blanket over him, spun him in circles, but never once went to the whip. After about 5-10 minutes of this he was finally scratched (and the jock still got pain, according to the announcer).
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie doll View Post
I saw this recently at one of the UK tracks: horse refused to load and the gate crew blindfolded him, threw a blanket over him, spun him in circles, but never once went to the whip. After about 5-10 minutes of this he was finally scratched (and the jock still got pain, according to the announcer).
I think this is what we should do here. No need for the slashing.
CheckMark is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie doll View Post
I wonder if horses get dizzy the way humans do? If so that will be one of my new trip notes. Horse lost due to circle spinning.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #9
HHE10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
I wonder if horses get dizzy the way humans do? If so that will be one of my new trip notes. Horse lost due to circle spinning.

HHE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2018, 08:41 PM   #10
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
The horse just gets very briefly disoriented as to direction so he can't, for the moment, tell he's being led in the direction of the gate which he can't see due to the hood. Actually it's very clever idea. I'm sure the dizziness wears off by the time they're off or the horse would come out sideways, like in one of those bar games where someone is spun round long enough to get really dizzy and tries to run straight. The results are really comical as the guy staggers around like he's even drunker than he already is.

Last edited by bobphilo; 09-28-2018 at 08:46 PM.