Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
sammy the sage

So Pletcher runs ANOTHER unsound horse

and the betting public is #$%^ed AGAIN...

"Meanwhile, Gemologist, had an excuse for his dismal Haskell performance, according to trainer Todd Pletcher.

“He had a lung infection, a lot of mucus, so we’re going to try and clear him up with antibiotics.” Pletcher said.

Life at Ten anyone

This is just AS bad as Dutrow in mho...
Old 07-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
jdhanover

Assumes he knew about before the race. Not saying he did or didn't just that the exertion of the race may have made the symptoms visible.
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Being sick and unsound are not the same thing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Being sick and unsound are not the same thing.

You're SO right....shoulda phrased it different...same result...horse should NOT have been in the race...period.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage
horse should NOT have been in the race...period.
He was training pretty well coming into the Haskell as he worked in company and was going the better of Dominus during that work in 58 and 2/5 and galloped out in 1:12 and 2/5. This is more of a positive sign rather than a negative one for a horse coming into a race IMO.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

so much to read into...

then you have his status as a stallion prospect to consider, when post-race excuses pop up.

He ran into a huge race from Paynter and didn't handle it well at all. He could not handle the Derby either.

Maybe it's a legit post race piece of information that we should take at face value...

I really don't know. If he gets his way in a race he can be very fast.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage
You're SO right....shoulda phrased it different...same result...horse should NOT have been in the race...period.
Kid goes to school fine in the morning and comes home sick as a dog in the afternoon.

Ever happen? Yea or Neigh?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Dony55

wish i would have known i woulditn have blew money on the horse. Pletcher has been seriously cold lately im staying away from him.
Dony55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
Sysonby

That actually makes sense re Gemologist's performance. Same thing happened to Afleet Alex in an early Derby prep, had a lung infection they hadn't detected and he had no wind left at the top of the stretch.

Then his next race, I think he blew the field away in the Arkansas Derby, if I'm not mistaken.
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysonby
That actually makes sense re Gemologist's performance. Same thing happened to Afleet Alex in an early Derby prep, had a lung infection they hadn't detected and he had no wind left at the top of the stretch.

Then his next race, I think he blew the field away in the Arkansas Derby, if I'm not mistaken.
Dead last in the Rebel and then won the Ark Derby by 8+.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
lamboguy

pletcher horses have a certain style of running when he is winning, they haven't been running that way lately. his horses usually have a re-break to them sort of the same running style as the midwest thoroughbred horses. his horses haven't had that extra gear lately and have been going to front and backing up when another horse comes at them. it has been very uncharacteristic of his horses.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
pletcher horses have a certain style of running when he is winning, they haven't been running that way lately. his horses usually have a re-break to them sort of the same running style as the midwest thoroughbred horses. his horses haven't had that extra gear lately and have been going to front and backing up when another horse comes at them. it has been very uncharacteristic of his horses.
Oh gee...whatever could you mean by this?

I'm so lost and confused as to the true meaning behind your reply
Old 07-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
lamboguy

the running styles of the horses from both the Midwest Thoroughbred Corporation and Todd Pletcher operation have very similar running styles when they win, also very similar to the way that Bob Frankel's horses looked.

they are trained to run away from horses when other horses get near them and they have the ability to do just that. that is what good horses do.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Well thank you very much sir for clearing that up....
Old 07-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Kid goes to school fine in the morning and comes home sick as a dog in the afternoon.

Ever happen? Yea or Neigh?
Problem w/that analogy...some-one's who SHOULD BE quite competent...is MOST certainly w/the horse 30 mins prior to post time...

Mucus & breathing problems...(well flipped palate is THE exception)...just don't happen outta the blue in 120 secs...sorry...not buying it.

Maybe his whole barn is getting SICK...got a BIG dropper and so-so dropper in the 10th tomorrow at 'Toga'

Perhaps is was JUST breathing w/them as well...after all their LAST two races look IDENTICAL to the mighty Gemologist's race Sat.

Maybe their cured and you can kill on the big pic6 day carry-over...then again maybe not...

Finally I know FOR A fact...no names...that several trainer's East & West coast WILL tell certain player's NOT to play a certain horse under THEIR care...on a given day...

As if today's game isn't tough enough