Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICSIX
As a claiming owner, however, I don't won't my hands tied when it comes to strategy in placing my horses in races. I want to leave my competition guessing.
So what guessing is there to be done if a horse wins for 15k and runs back three weeks later for 8k? Guess if the horse is unsound or not? I personally don't think that game should be played with horses.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #32
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
So what guessing is there to be done if a horse wins for 15k and runs back three weeks later for 8k? Guess if the horse is unsound or not? I personally don't think that game should be played with horses.
Real world example...I claimed a horse that had, in the words of my vet, "the world's narrowest windpipe." That drop in claiming price had nothing to do with him being unsound.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #33
nijinski

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, and agree with the soundness issues of such droppers. In a perfect world the track vet would prevent these horses from ever reaching the starting gate....we both know that's not the world we live in.

As a claiming owner, however, I don't won't my hands tied when it comes to strategy in placing my horses in races. I want to leave my competition guessing.
I think the vets are doing a better job now in NY . They've been under alot of
scrutiny this past year and it looks as if there are more scratches . I can't prove it's due to unsoundness. But hoping they are doing the right thing .
Wonder if that's why the last race was in Pa.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #34
MaTH716

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
scrutiny this past year and it looks as if there are more scratches . I can't prove it's due to unsoundness. But hoping they are doing the right thing .
Probably not, it was a starter allowance. I'm guessing that it had more to do with the field size (6, scratched down to 5) & purse ($37,200).

Now the $50,00 dollar question is where and when does he run next? My guess is that he eventually shows up on the inner, for a cheap tag and wins easily while not getting claimed. The guy is some magician.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Real world example...I claimed a horse that had, in the words of my vet, "the world's narrowest windpipe." That drop in claiming price had nothing to do with him being unsound.
His windpipe wasn't narrow when he won at a higher level?

There are always a few "what ifs" and "exceptions" that people try to use to keep the status quo, even when that status quo is bad.

Are you really saying you were trying to keep the competition guessing about a horse's windpipe size? Maybe he shouldn't be racing. Pawning him off on somebody else via the claim box is the kind of stuff that needs to stop.

Last edited by cj; 11-28-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #36
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
His windpipe wasn't narrow when he won at a higher level?

There are always a few "what ifs" and "exceptions" that people try to use to keep the status quo, even when that status quo is bad.

Are you really saying you were trying to keep the competition guessing about a horse's windpipe size? Maybe he shouldn't be racing. Pawning him off on somebody else via the claim box is the kind of stuff that needs to stop.
Believe me, if my vet had deemed this horse unfit for racing he(the horse) would have been retired. CJ, I work hard to be one of the "good guys", in this industry, to the best of my ability. I'm lucky to have a trainer that feels the same way.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Believe me, if my vet had deemed this horse unfit for racing he(the horse) would have been retired. CJ, I work hard to be one of the "good guys", in this industry, to the best of my ability. I'm lucky to have a trainer that feels the same way.
I was never trying to imply you aren't a good guy. All I was asking was how this horse was somehow an exception to what I proposed. If he can win for 10k, you are saying he should be allowed to run for 5k next out because his windpipe is small? That doesn't make any sense to me.

There are a whole bunch of laws around that inconvenience people that are law abiding citizens, but we have them because of the few bad apples.

Last edited by cj; 11-29-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #38
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I was never trying to imply you aren't a good guy. All I was asking was how this horse was somehow an exception to what I proposed. If he can win for 10k, you are saying he should be allowed to run for 5k next out because his windpipe is small? That doesn't make any sense to me.

There are a whole bunch of laws around that inconvenience people that are law abiding citizens, but we have them because of the few bad apples.

When a horse runs he has conditions,As he goes thu them the compition gets tougher.For a horse to win a nw2 for 16 k means a lot of times his nw3 will be for 8k or cheaper.Dropping a horse doesnt always mean you want to dump him,You also must remember the more times you run in a condition and lose,There are always droppers to meet you as you run in that same condition over and over. Lots of horse cheapen themselves by not being able to beat the droppers.You have to run them where they can win!..To drop a horse just to lose him and let someone else be the last guy is just wrong.If the horse cant do it,Then find him a home
Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #39
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
What do you mean in PA?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #40
nijinski

Away from all those who were assembled to keep an eye on breakdowns. As well as the NY Times .

I believe the last race in which he was vanned off in , was at Parx in Pa.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #41
Linny

The horse wasn't likely to beat NW2x horses in NY and the PA race offered a chance to run against $16k horses without being subject to claim. I rarely defend Jacobsen but if he thought the horse was going bad he'd have put him someplace to lure a claim.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #42
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
The horse wasn't likely to beat NW2x horses in NY and the PA race offered a chance to run against $16k horses without being subject to claim. I rarely defend Jacobsen but if he thought the horse was going bad he'd have put him someplace to lure a claim.
You mean like he did the prior race but nobody bit?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #43
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
When a horse runs he has conditions,As he goes thu them the compition gets tougher.For a horse to win a nw2 for 16 k means a lot of times his nw3 will be for 8k or cheaper.Dropping a horse doesnt always mean you want to dump him,You also must remember the more times you run in a condition and lose,There are always droppers to meet you as you run in that same condition over and over. Lots of horse cheapen themselves by not being able to beat the droppers.You have to run them where they can win!..To drop a horse just to lose him and let someone else be the last guy is just wrong.If the horse cant do it,Then find him a home
McSchell, did you even bother to look at the horse in question's PPs? It doesn't seem like you did.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #44
RXB

This kind of stuff goes on regularly. Jacobson claimed a 2YO named Summer Revival from a 35k MCL at Saratoga last summer. He ran it back in early October at Belmont at the same level and won; fair enough. But for its next race the horse re-appeared a week ago at Laurel-- for a 12k tag. Won again.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #45
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
This kind of stuff goes on regularly. Jacobson claimed a 2YO named Summer Revival from a 35k MCL at Saratoga last summer. He ran it back in early October at Belmont at the same level and won; fair enough. But for its next race the horse re-appeared a week ago at Laurel-- for a 12k tag. Won again.
He plays Flip Men with horses. I'm sure he is making money, but I would be very hard pressed to believe he gives a crap about them.

That said, maiden claiming tags are always inflated so a drop is expected when the horse faces winners.
Closed Thread