Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlay
Shoemaker wished that Gallant Man knew (and could have overruled his jockey).

http://zipseatthetrack.blogspot.com/...llant-man.html
that's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #17
slewis
Veteran

All kidding aside....Trainer Derek Ryan recently showed me how he trains his young horses to tell where the finish line is:

During morning workouts, he gets two assistants to stretch a long string where the finish line is.
On the string he attaches several large CARROTS. As the horses head for the carrots, they associate the finish line pole with the carrots!

Last week we ran a horse who virtually stopped at the eighth pole....
I asked Derek why and what happened?

He told me that the last time this horse worked he thinks Pletcher stole the carrots off the string!
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #18
classhandicapper

Mine definitely know. They tire in the last two jumps before the wire way too often for it to be random.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #19
Actor
Librocubicularist

I think most horses know that when they get to the finish line the jockey will stop beating them.

I think a lot of horses know when they see the gate that they are about to be beaten. That's why they don't want to get into the gate.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #20
Crush

What about reserve power? Is that only pushed out from the jockey?

Like the horse doesn't know by himself that he needs to boot it to the finish right?
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #21
Hanover1

If horse runs at same track at same distance for any period of time they learn where the wire is. You can mix things up all you want as far as routine goes, but in harness the gate swings at the same place every week, and they gauge the mile quite often. Scoring down in different manners does little in this regard, so the trip the horse is given comes into play when horse is suspect of easing up while finishing. Good thing is that most are brave, and know when its time to give all as well.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
LottaKash

Many years ago when I was a "harness-groom", one of my duties was to "jog" one of my particular charges, twice a week and in some weeks 3x, each time a 5-miles distance.....Well, this guy absoutely "knew" when the 5-miles was up as he would just stop in his tracks at the rail opening leading back to the barn area, and he wouldn't go a lick no matter what you did to him....He would just stand there and "wait on you" to take him home.....In fact you wouldn't even have to take him there, he would just go on home by himself, and stand there at "his barn", just waiting for you to get his rigging off....He was about 13 at the time, and he just knew the drilll(s)...Most times you wouldn't even need a lead-shank, he would just follow you around like a puppy....

As for him at the races, he knew where the line was (I believe), because, in the last 1/8th, win or lose, he would give you his "all", he was just in a hurry to go back home, I guess....

best,
Old 08-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #23
magwell

They are strictly creatures of habit
Old 08-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #24
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Many years ago when I was a "harness-groom", one of my duties was to "jog" one of my particular charges, twice a week and in some weeks 3x, each time a 5-miles distance.....Well, this guy absoutely "knew" when the 5-miles was up as he would just stop in his tracks at the rail opening leading back to the barn area, and he wouldn't go a lick no matter what you did to him....He would just stand there and "wait on you" to take him home.....In fact you wouldn't even have to take him there, he would just go on home by himself, and stand there at "his barn", just waiting for you to get his rigging off....He was about 13 at the time, and he just knew the drilll(s)...Most times you wouldn't even need a lead-shank, he would just follow you around like a puppy....

As for him at the races, he knew where the line was (I believe), because, in the last 1/8th, win or lose, he would give you his "all", he was just in a hurry to go back home, I guess....

best,

Reminds me of Seatrain up in NY.....u-turns during start/race towards the barn. Barred from NY as a result. Went to big M and raked the cash however, racing many years against Rambling Willie and the likes. Last I saw of him he was in for OC, tag of 60k and still tough-never claimed-to rank.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #25
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
Reminds me of Seatrain up in NY.....u-turns during start/race towards the barn. Barred from NY as a result. Went to big M and raked the cash however, racing many years against Rambling Willie and the likes. Last I saw of him he was in for OC, tag of 60k and still tough-never claimed-to rank.
Oh yeah Hanover !....Seatrain and Willie, had probably, two of the biggest hearts in the history of Harness...They were "pacing-machines"....

best,
Old 08-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
I think most horses know that when they get to the finish line the jockey will stop beating them.

I think a lot of horses know when they see the gate that they are about to be beaten. That's why they don't want to get into the gate.
I think you are turning into a very unusual contributor and I think I'm going to keep my eye on you from now on.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #27
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush
I has a simple question.

Do horses know where the finish line is and what is expected of them on a race?

The reason I ask is becasue I hear a LOT of commentary on the podcast like "the horse can make his move late" and statements like that.

Do they really mean that the *IF* jockey treats the horse right and utilizes his reserve power correctly, the horse may have the energy reserves to move ahead late?

Or does the horse know where the finish line is and does the horse know by himself that he needs to move ahead of the pack?

Just curious.

I have to say some do,I have a horse that not only knows just how to nip them at the wire,When he gallops back to get his pic taken he will not turn left into the winners circle but rather turn right to watch himself on the big telethon in the infield,Now that funny

Last edited by CryingForTheHorses; 08-17-2010 at 07:57 PM.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #28
westny

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
I have to say some do,I have a horse that not only knows just how to nip them at the wire,When he gallops back to get his pic taken he will not turn left into the winners circle but rather turn right to watch himself on the big telethon in the infield,Now that funny

What a hoot!

Jerry Bailey said, "experienced horses know where the finish line is"...and JV's agent Angel Codero was a guest on an NYRA chat and someone asked him that same question and he said they do.

I have seen several races where the jock was thrown/fell from the mount out of the gate and the horse goes ahead and runs his race sans jockey. NYbred
Gander threw or Mike Smith (fell )at Saratoga when the gate opened. Gander tucked in behind the leaders, stalked the pace and moved out on the turn to win in a stretch drive. It was a stakes race.
Gander galloped out an 1/8th and turned himself in to the outrider. The problem was he wanted to go to the winners circle. Gander thought he won the race and didn't understand why he wasn't getting his picture taken. The trainer, Terranova reported this the next day in the trades.

So, I think some race horses know where the wire is and more than a few can run "their race " without a jockey and not get into trouble.

Last edited by westny; 08-17-2010 at 08:37 PM.
westny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #29
Foolish Pleasure
Veteran

There was a DRF picture of I think Precisionist maybe some other horse-decades ago-

dumped the jockey at the gate, ran around the track-

and leaped right at the finish line with the peak of his jump nailing the wire.

I am sure it was a coincidence but it would make one think he knew exactly where the wire was.
Foolish Pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #30
speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish Pleasure
There was a DRF picture of I think Precisionist maybe some other horse-decades ago-

dumped the jockey at the gate, ran around the track-

and leaped right at the finish line with the peak of his jump nailing the wire.

I am sure it was a coincidence but it would make one think he knew exactly where the wire was.
I haven't called a photo right in 2 months yet there r horses who know where the wire is. I gotta get my eyes checked.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply