Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 11-11-2023, 03:58 PM   #1
Poindexter

Rookie question

As I keep making little tweaks to my numbers in Thoros, using Bris, it is just becoming more tedious to calculate my numbers. I basically come up with one number per horse per race, based off of rr, cr, speed rating, late pace, early pace etc. obviously this can all be automated. I am very happy with my ratings, I just don’t like having to spend an hour calculating them. I usually play on line poker while doing so to get me through the boredom, but that probably adds another 45 minutes to the process. It would be much easier to just print out last performances with my ratings calculated. But how and of course how much.

I can’t automate my harness numbers that I am even more happy with, but I can automate these.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2023, 05:27 PM   #2
MJC922

I can take a look but unless it's in excel I can't help you. No idea what 'Thoros' is.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:46 PM   #3
Poindexter

Thoros is short for thoroughbred. There is nothing to look at. I just print out Bris past performances and make calculations based on their ratings. I could be wrong but I don’t think you can easily transfer their past performances into excel. I think I tried years ago and it did not work out very well. I currently do not have excel so I haven’t tried recently. So I am trying to figure out how to automate the calculations. I assume I would have to pay someone to do it for me. Or maybe there is a software out there that would enable me to do it?
Old 11-11-2023, 05:57 PM   #4
MJC922

I thought they had a comma delimited file. You'd have to import the csv into a staging sheet in excel and then use VBA to work through it. Unless what you're doing is just very very basic, in that case maybe a custom function would suffice... still would be in vba but that's only what I'm familiar with. There are open source options I'm sure but until you get the inputs you use into a spreadsheet I don't see a way to get much traction with automation. What are you using currently, hard copy and a calculator? Maybe just an old school handheld pocket computer would help you streamline this.

Last edited by MJC922; 11-11-2023 at 05:59 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2023, 06:27 PM   #5
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
I thought they had a comma delimited file. You'd have to import the csv into a staging sheet in excel and then use VBA to work through it. Unless what you're doing is just very very basic, in that case maybe a custom function would suffice... still would be in vba but that's only what I'm familiar with. There are open source options I'm sure but until you get the inputs you use into a spreadsheet I don't see a way to get much traction with automation. What are you using currently, hard copy and a calculator? Maybe just an old school handheld pocket computer would help you streamline this.
I do everything on my head. You have a point I could just write a simple spreadsheet to do the calculations for me. Then it will just be data entry. Obviously I would prefer the output without all the data entry, but I might try the data entry for a while and see how it goes. Certainly will be less wear on my brain. Thanks for the input. Very common sense and I never even thought about doing it.
Old 11-11-2023, 07:30 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I assume you are using the Ultimate PPs in PDF format?
The get those in comma charts, you will pay top doller for the RR and CR ratings.

With PDF, you will probably be stuck with hand entry.

I set up a spreadsheet in OO, to use PP. AQL, andD SR last race to get a siongle
power number and then creat an odds line. Just as Dick Mitchel outlined in his book.

Our good friend headhawg helped me out!

I can do a race in just a couple of minutes.
Old 11-11-2023, 08:15 PM   #7
Ted

It is not clear to me what you mean when you say you use Bris. If you mean pdf I cannot help you as I have never found a method that will consistently allow you to get the data into a spreadsheet. If it is the Bris data file you can take a look at the Raybo excel spreadsheet which will give you the information in program format. The data you seem to want is there for every horse and every race. it is relatively easy to manipulate the data. If you want to take a look at it and you know someone who has excel - Bris used to have a sample data file - download the excel file and the data file and play with it a bit. it seems that this will do what you want. https://alldataexcel.weebly.com/
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2023, 08:51 PM   #8
Poindexter

Yes I mean I use bris ultimate pp in pdf format. I don’t play that often(mostly carryover when I am physically up to it), so I will play around with the spreadsheet data entry I talked about in my last post. If that is still too much work I will explore other options. I will look over the stuff you guys have posted. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-12-2023, 03:08 PM   #9
lefty359

I don't have Quick Grid by Ranchwest, but seems to me that may be what
you're looking for.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 02:44 AM   #10
Poindexter

Thanks, Lefty, I will look that over as well. I programmed the spreadsheet tonight. Looks like that will work out for me. If not I have some ideas on where to look.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:18 PM   #11
Poindexter

The data entry is way too time consuming. So I am back to square one. I am not a programmer so I am unable to use MJC's advice in this and the other thread about extracting the data into a spreadsheet. I can get the data into a spreadsheet but all I see is a whole bunch of numbers and symbols. Basically here is what I want. I have a spreadsheet written or I can rewrite one.. I need the following variables for each horse in each race to be transfered into a spreadsheet (excel is fine)

horses name, Distance, surface, RR, CR, LP, SPD, the 2nd call(+ or -), the 2nd call lengths behind and finish lengths behind. Anybody capable of doing it for me, pm me with a price and what I would need to do to transfer a data file into the excel program you program and I will determine if I want to pay for it to be done. If it is too expensive I will just stick with harness racing (will likely save me money anyhow). I want to handicap I don't want to type in 200 numbers per race. But I need the output to handicap the way I want to handicap.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:51 PM   #12
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
The data entry is way too time consuming. So I am back to square one. I am not a programmer so I am unable to use MJC's advice in this and the other thread about extracting the data into a spreadsheet. I can get the data into a spreadsheet but all I see is a whole bunch of numbers and symbols. Basically here is what I want. I have a spreadsheet written or I can rewrite one.. I need the following variables for each horse in each race to be transfered into a spreadsheet (excel is fine)

horses name, Distance, surface, RR, CR, LP, SPD, the 2nd call(+ or -), the 2nd call lengths behind and finish lengths behind. Anybody capable of doing it for me, pm me with a price and what I would need to do to transfer a data file into the excel program you program and I will determine if I want to pay for it to be done. If it is too expensive I will just stick with harness racing (will likely save me money anyhow). I want to handicap I don't want to type in 200 numbers per race. But I need the output to handicap the way I want to handicap.
Sorry but there's not enough detail for me to help you out, I don't know what RR is. Distance today or distance last race etc? Are we talking about BRIS data?

If it's a BRIS data file then go here and identify the columns you need:
https://support.brisnet.com/hc/en-us...e-File-format-

For example HorseName is column 45 as shown:
*** Horse History Data ***

45 Horse Name CHARACTER 25

So when you download the spreadsheet I posted, in Sheet2 notice col-45 is already there, so that one is done.

Late Pace for the individual horse is in 816 through 825 for the last 10 races. So type col-816 into Sheet2 cell H1 and so on. You just have to keep adding the columns you need and then edit the macro so it encompasses all of the columns you've added.

By editing the Macro I mean in Macro1:

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:BCD300").AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
CopyToRange:=Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1:G1"), Unique:=False

The A1:G1 would need to be changed to A1:H1 because you've added col-816 to H1.

It's not that bad really. I don't think you need to pay anyone for that but I can try to assist further if needed.

Last edited by MJC922; 11-29-2023 at 09:59 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2023, 09:56 PM   #13
Dave S

I believe "RR" refers to the Bris Race Rating.
Dave S is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2023, 11:27 PM   #14
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
I believe "RR" refers to the Bris Race Rating.
Hmm, is that included in the BRIS single file format? I don't see it listed on the structure page. I apologize I don't use BRIS data so I'm clueless on this. Maybe a different type of data file can be used instead or another vendor's file like Trackmaster or HDW.
Old 11-29-2023, 11:45 PM   #15
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Hmm, is that included in the BRIS single file format? I don't see it listed on the structure page. I apologize I don't use BRIS data so I'm clueless on this. Maybe a different type of data file can be used instead or another vendor's file like Trackmaster or HDW.
It's not in the single file, it's in the multicaps files.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply