Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #31
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appy View Post
"how can this be any worse?"

Back in the "good ole days" happened before lasix, not to mention most of the other known PED drugs so common now. Dosing a horse with lasix once every 3 weeks is bad enough.
They were given other things though. We know that the famous Phar Lap died at the hand of experimental drugging by his trainer, who overdosed the horse on the "arsenic potion" that they used back then.

I don't think drugs per se have anything to do with this. An article many years ago from John Nerud who said the bodies of today's horses aren't like they used to be, and specifically noted that they used to have wide flat cannon bones and now they had skinny round ones. I think if we asked trainers who are old enough to have seen horses from many decades ago, they'd likely report similar. I know of some who say that with seemingly each passing year it is harder to keep them together.

This might be why we're seeing the short dirt fields. The degradation of the Thoroughbred as a breed can't withstand well the rigors of dirt racing. The turf horses have been mostly spared to date due to the kinder surface they're racing over, but it's logical that they'll be following. If we had a central office, I think we'd see some studies on this and implementing some policies that could work to turn back the clock and try to breed soundness back into the breed.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #32
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit@AR View Post
I have no problem with a horse backing up within one day. In the old days horses even used to race twice on the same day

Looking at human athletes, at the Olympics you are expected to run or swim the heats/semi finals one day and then the final the next day for many events

Then in the tour de France you cycle all day for about 3 weeks with only 2 rest days

Maybe the optimum rest time is a week or a few weeks but backing up in one day is not a major issue

Harness racing with the Little Brown Jug comes to mind, with a horse racing twice in the same day. Might be a different equine sport, but still TWO RACES in the same day and this year it was quite hot in central Ohio during the Jug.
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #33
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
They were given other things though. We know that the famous Phar Lap died at the hand of experimental drugging by his trainer, who overdosed the horse on the "arsenic potion" that they used back then.
Care to provide any legitimate source backing up this statement?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #34
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Care to provide any legitimate source backing up this statement?
Just Google. There are lots of articles on it. Arsenic potions and other drugs have been given horses since the beginning. We probably have a cleaner sport now than at any time in the past.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #35
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Just Google. There are lots of articles on it. Arsenic potions and other drugs have been given horses since the beginning. We probably have a cleaner sport now than at any time in the past.
There is no proof that the trainer did it. You're acting like it is a fact....when it's clearly not.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #36
SG4

Quote:
I did Google search this, and pretty much everything that came up refutes your claim, that's the point of me asking you for proof of something you state as essentially a fact.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #37
DSB

Arsenic, strychnine, caffeine, codeine, and probably the best of 'em all - cocaine - were all used on horses in the days before testing. If memory serves me correctly, Pittsburgh Phil had a list of "signs" to look for in order to identify a horse that had been drugged.

The potion that was given to Phar Lap contained some of those old time ingredients, most notably arsenic.
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2017, 11:17 AM   #38
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
There is no proof that the trainer did it. You're acting like it is a fact....when it's clearly not.
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2010-0...onfirms/431096

Arsenic potions were so common they had names on the bottles - which was the point - but you're welcome to claim the Tooth Fairy gave him the arsenic of you wish.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #39
Fager Fan
Veteran

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...630247f8d6ec17

Some more reading.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #40
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2010-0...onfirms/431096

Arsenic potions were so common they had names on the bottles - which was the point - but you're welcome to claim the Tooth Fairy gave him the arsenic of you wish.
Again...your reading comprehension has failed you. No one is disputing how he died. You claimed the trainer did it and there is no evidence to support it. Your articles don't back up your claim either.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #41
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Again...your reading comprehension has failed you. No one is disputing how he died. You claimed the trainer did it and there is no evidence to support it. Your articles don't back up your claim either.
Yes they do. Again, feel free to think aliens 👽 are responsible.

Now get a life that doesn't involve me.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #42
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Yes they do. Again, feel free to think aliens 👽 are responsible.

Now get a life that doesn't involve me.
Not a surprise but you don't know the difference between fact and opinion.

I prefer to deal in facts.

I'll remind you there's an ignore function here. Have a nice afternoon!
Old 10-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #43
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Not a surprise but you don't know the difference between fact and opinion.

I prefer to deal in facts.

I'll remind you there's an ignore function here. Have a nice afternoon!
It's called circumstantial evidence, which I'm not surprised you don't understand can find someone guilty in a court of law. It's no surprise that the trainer and or handlers didn't admit to killing a national star. OJ didn't admit it either, but the evidence says he did it, and I'm comfortable saying he did it.

You just want to fight. Maybe hit a gym and take it out there, and drop some pounds while you're at it.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #44
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
It's called circumstantial evidence, which I'm not surprised you don't understand can find someone guilty in a court of law. It's no surprise that the trainer and or handlers didn't admit to killing a national star. OJ didn't admit it either, but the evidence says he did it, and I'm comfortable saying he did it.

You just want to fight. Maybe hit a gym and take it out there, and drop some pounds while you're at it.
I wasn't even the one who initially questioned you. Interesting you'd use OJ as an example as that circumstantial evidence didn't convict him.

I'm sorry that you're the easiest guy here to get on tilt and you constantly say dumb stuff because you fancy yourself as an expert on everything.

Again, since you clearly can't take it, put me on ignore. I'm off to the gym. See ya!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #45
BrentT

So he ran him on the 28th, 30th, and then shipped him to retama and ran on the 6th. So he ran 3 times in an 8 day period. Totally insane, but hey his horses don't know any better every single ones fed bute everyday. These racing commissions/secretaries that allow this should all be fired. Completely no interest in the horses welfare.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...T100617USA.pdf
BrentT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply