Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-16-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
howardjim

America Tab stops Ohio betting

ATab,as of today, stops Ohio action as does Pinnacle.

Has anyone heard details of the problem...money, as always, I assume.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardjim
ATab,as of today, stops Ohio action as does Pinnacle.

Has anyone heard details of the problem...money, as always, I assume.
From AmericaTAB:

Quote:
No Wagering on Ohio Thoroughbred Tracks

There will be no simulcast wagering on Ohio Thoroughbred tracks through America TAB until further notice. This includes River Downs and Thistledown. Negotiations with the Ohio HBPA is continuing and we hope the situation will change soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

No River and Thistle? Ouch, these have become two of my favorites!

People wonder why the game is going downhill. Once again, we are stuck not being able to bet tracks we want to bet.

I don't see anything at Pinnacle about not being able to bet them, but I don't see River on the menu today. Makes you wonder if they funnel some bets through AmericaTab.

Last edited by cj; 08-16-2005 at 03:51 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2005, 06:13 PM   #4
schweitz

You would think if anybody would take Ohio wagers it would be AmericaTab---they are headquartered out of Beulah Park.
schweitz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweitz
You would think if anybody would take Ohio wagers it would be AmericaTab---they are headquartered out of Beulah Park.
It is kinda funny. I don't know how far reaching it is, but I imagine each outlet (or assn.?) has it's own contract.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:26 AM   #6
Buddha
Aspiring Pace Capper

thats odd. when i first read the topic of the post, i thought that i wasnt going to be able to use americatab since i am in ohio, but it is just ohio tracks. i know there was some dispute between thistle and northfield harness track and simulcasting, so who knows what the deal is.

http://www.myspace.com/j_rod99
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2005, 12:57 AM   #7
kingfin66
Bombardier

River Downs v. Thistledowns

Sometimes, Pinnacle will only list one track or the other to wager at. They won't show races for RD, but there will be 15 races for Tdn. This threw me off for awhile until I figured it out. Not that I bet at Pinnacle - that would be illegal...lol.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2005, 02:19 AM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

On Tuesdays, River Downs runs alone, and they were not listed at Pinnacle.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2005, 06:51 AM   #9
MikeDee

The following was posted on the Bris web site:

BrisBET.com Announcements

No Wagering on Ohio Thoroughbred Tracks

There will be no simulcast wagering on Ohio Thoroughbred tracks through America TAB until further notice. This includes River Downs and Thistledown. Negotiations with the Ohio HBPA is continuing and we hope the situation will change soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.

last updated 8/16/2005
MikeDee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #10
midnight

I've suspected that Pinnacle's been laying off bets since day one, mainly through one of the offshore rebate shops. It's a simple buisness strategy: book the customers who are consistent losers, push the money the winners bet through the pools. There's no way they would book the small harness tracks and not get butchered. It's going through the pools.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2005, 07:11 PM   #11
Hosshead
It's A Photo-Ying & Yang

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight
I've suspected that Pinnacle's been laying off bets since day one, mainly through one of the offshore rebate shops. It's a simple buisness strategy: book the customers who are consistent losers, push the money the winners bet through the pools. There's no way they would book the small harness tracks and not get butchered. It's going through the pools.
True. But take it one step further. Since they know who the consistent losers are, they also know who the consistent winners are, and better yet, they know who the very excellent handicappers (winners) are. The best of the best. Why not piggyback highly selected bets. (As many on here have suggested they already do). They (Pinnacle) with their infinite knowledge of Everyone's bets, can screen out those that just break even for the rebates, and find the "choice" bets (tracks) to piggyback. While the rest of the winning profile player's bets, as you suggest, go into the track pools.
They also know what state (restrictions) each player is in, and how badly the player "needs" Pinnacle to bet.
As long as they carefully select the size of pool they're betting (piggybacking) into, --There's not much incentive for them NOT to do this.

Just using their VAST CLIENT DB KNOWLEDGE to it's fullest.
Hosshead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2005, 09:27 PM   #12
garyoz

I thought that River Downs was a partner in America Tab.
garyoz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2005, 09:53 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyoz
I thought that River Downs was a partner in America Tab.
somehow, they are. I hit a nice signer a few years back, thru americatab and when I received the tax form it was from "The River Downs Jockey Club"

???????????????????? not sure what that means.

I know Beulah Park and Ameritab is owned by a local Construction guy here in Columbus........not sure how River Downs fits in..........
Old 08-19-2005, 08:41 AM   #14
JimL

RD TDN

Does anyone know the reason for this move by Bris Bet and Pinnacle? I found some wagering opportunities at both tracks. Philly PhoneBet, still takes Ohio tracks. Thank Goodness! JimL
JimL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2005, 09:58 AM   #15
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL
Does anyone know the reason for this move by Bris Bet and Pinnacle? I found some wagering opportunities at both tracks. Philly PhoneBet, still takes Ohio tracks. Thank Goodness! JimL
According to information on AmericaTAB sites it is a contract issue (see earlier posts in this thread)