Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #16
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Not unless the business has a presence in the state where the item was ordered. I order business supplies constantly from out of state that are not for resale and I do not use a resale card to buy them and never pay sales tax. Let me guess, you are another liberal talking out of your ass, what a shock.
I know what the rule is.

No way you're that smart. My statement is fact having nothing to do with politics. Look it up. Of course they don't cheat like you do.

I'll bet you're real proud of being a scumbag conservative thief.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #17
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I know what the rule is.

No way you're that smart. My statement is fact having nothing to do with politics. Look it up. Of course they don't cheat like you do.

It would be a simple question and answer if all the states played by the same rules. Personal experience with internet purchases could be completely different in different states. In the People's Republic of California we get dinged on everything and if by chance we slip through the cracks for a purchase or 2 we are required to pay the uncollected tax with our income tax returns. The volunteer rate on the uncollected sales tax mirrors the percentage of winnings volunteered from bets not requiring a W-2G.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
It would be a simple question and answer if all the states played by the same rules. Personal experience with internet purchases could be completely different in different states. In the People's Republic of California we get dinged on everything and if by chance we slip through the cracks for a purchase or 2 we are required to pay the uncollected tax with our income tax returns. The volunteer rate on the uncollected sales tax mirrors the percentage of winnings volunteered from bets not requiring a W-2G.
California really is nuts about taxes.

Most Octobers we drive to Monterrey for a few days. One year we received a notice from the California Hwy patrol that demanded we register our vehicle in the state of CA because we had been "seen" several times driving around Monterrey.

They asked that we call the CHP to verify that we did not live in California.

When I called, the officer demanded that I prove we still lived in Nevada by faxing him a current power bill.

I asked:

Where was the demand letter sent? "Reno, NV"
Am I calling from a NV number? "Yes."
"Why should I have to prove that I was on vacation?"

Just nuts.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Tell the CHP that you are functionally literate, which mean you could not possibly live in California.

OR, tell them you are seeking sanctuary.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:22 PM   #20
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Tell the CHP that you are functionally literate, which mean you could not possibly live in California.

OR, tell them you are seeking sanctuary.
LOL - Better answers than all my engagement.

I actually asked the CHP guy if people actually send you power bills, etc. His response was to laugh and say, "Not very often."

After that, we had a nice discussion about how he'd rather be in a car that working on this stupid "license plate crap." (His words.)
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #21
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
LOL - Better answers than all my engagement.

I actually asked the CHP guy if people actually send you power bills, etc. His response was to laugh and say, "Not very often."

After that, we had a nice discussion about how he'd rather be in a car that working on this stupid "license plate crap." (His words.)
Bizarro State....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot2571.jpg (27.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #22
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Not unless the business has a presence in the state where the item was ordered. I order business supplies constantly from out of state that are not for resale and I do not use a resale card to buy them and never pay sales tax. Let me guess, you are another liberal talking out of your ass, what a shock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I know what the rule is.

Do explain on how I am a scum bag and a thief. Typical liberal, I caught you talking out your ass, now you resort to name calling.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #23
Stevecsd2

States Don't Have Much Leverage

I think in the states that do charge sales taxes on out of state web sites there is usually a sales volume threshold amount before the web site is required to charge sales taxes, such as $100,000 of sales into that remote state. I know that the Tennessee legislature had a plan for taxing sales if the web site sold more than $500,000 into Tennessee. That should affect only a very few major web sellers. They shelved the plan until they resolved this court case. They will probably bring it up again. So not all web sites will be forced to collect the sales taxes.

As a practical matter, if I’m a small to medium sized owner of a web site in Missouri for example, and I sell into California, what are they going to do if I don’t collect and remit sales taxes to California. My company is not under the jurisdiction of California, so I could tell them to go pound sand and there is probably not much they could do about it. Until Congress makes that a federal crime, the states don’t have much leverage to exert in this matter.
Stevecsd2 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #24
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecsd2 View Post
I think in the states that do charge sales taxes on out of state web sites there is usually a sales volume threshold amount before the web site is required to charge sales taxes, such as $100,000 of sales into that remote state. I know that the Tennessee legislature had a plan for taxing sales if the web site sold more than $500,000 into Tennessee. That should affect only a very few major web sellers. They shelved the plan until they resolved this court case. They will probably bring it up again. So not all web sites will be forced to collect the sales taxes.

As a practical matter, if I’m a small to medium sized owner of a web site in Missouri for example, and I sell into California, what are they going to do if I don’t collect and remit sales taxes to California. My company is not under the jurisdiction of California, so I could tell them to go pound sand and there is probably not much they could do about it. Until Congress makes that a federal crime, the states don’t have much leverage to exert in this matter.
Your customers owe the sales tax, not you.

The court decided you couldn’t wash your hands if they decide to cheat, Ponticus.

This is an interesting prism to hold onto economic beliefs. I have often seen (and agreed with) the arguement that the government shouldn’t decide winners and losers. Yet here, when the court decided that in situ and remote retailers should be held to the same standard, the alleged conservative argument seems to be the opposite.

Just admit you don’t want to pay taxes. Period.

There really isn’t a “conservative” argument in opposition to this decision. Either you don’t want states to be able to make their own decisions on appropriate tax rates (state rights) or you want there to be separate rules that favor retailers who don’t collect taxes (government finger on the scales).

The court said the later wasn’t the case.

You can’t be against this decision and call yourself a conservative. Feel free to be a hypocrite miser if that’s what you want to live out your life as. Just don’t try to paint yourself as anything else.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: