Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-15-2021, 09:50 PM   #16
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
unless Seattle Slew is facing Affirmed in a rematch.
Over at the half.....

taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2021, 05:26 PM   #17
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
Over at the half.....

https://youtu.be/2xj57lw9krI
I'll never forget that day. Strangers that bet on Seattle Slew were were running around the grandstand hugging each other like WW2 just ended. It was ridiculous.

I was almost as excited that day as I was upset on the bus ride home when he came again against Exceller but just missed in the Gold Cup. My friends still tease me that I was so upset when he lost the Gold Cup they were thinking of putting me on suicide watch.

I know the fractions look slow, but back in those days the chute was very slow and I don't think they used a long run up for 9F. The fractions were often very slow at 9F but the horses were moving well. Buried in a pile of garbage somewhere I may even still have my average fractions charts from back then. Cauthen was quoted as saying he tried to stay with Slew but Slew had another gear.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:46 PM   #18
taxicab

Quote:

I know the fractions look slow, but back in those days the chute was very slow and I don't think they used a long run up for 9F. The fractions were often very slow at 9F but the horses were moving well. Buried in a pile of garbage somewhere I may even still have my average fractions charts from back then. Cauthen was quoted as saying he tried to stay with Slew but Slew had another gear.
I must admit the opening 1/4 surprised me......your post does add needed context to the number.
Sometimes with splits,it's not so much the numbers.......but how they're accomplished.
Slew by the 1/4's in the Marlboro:
24/23/23.1/23.2.....12.1 for the final 1/8th.......that seems about right for him.
On my all time list Slew checks in at number 5.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #19
thespaah

Quote:
It looks like the NYRA tracks could be partially open to fans if NYRA chooses to do so. Who knows, it could be even more than 10% of capacity for Saratoga if the numbers continue improving.

I really hope they open Belmont. Belmont is huge, wide open, and doesn't draw large crowds most days as it is. It would be really nice to enjoy my retirement sitting out back enjoying a spring day at Belmont like I intended.
I think The State should open tracks to all who can show documentation of a negative Covid test of less than 24 hours. OR, anyone who can prove having received Covid 19 vaccination(s).
I'd even go so far as to follow the lead of air carriers which will administer a PCR ( instant test) to gain entry.
Also....All NON vaccinated patrons must be required to use face coverings. Vaccinated patrons are given the OPTION of using face coverings.
All Mutuel tellers must be tested each day when reporting to work. OR, have received full dose(s) of a covid 19 vaccination.
We MUST get the people back into the track. We must get ourselves moving forward.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 06:17 PM   #20
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
If attendance at tracks is still held at 10% when Saratoga opens, that place will be harder to score tickets at than a playoff game.
Ya think?...Secondary market ticket sellers will use their robo programs to instantly gobble up every ticket. As a result fans will be getting fleeced by having to pay 5 if not ten times face value just to get into the facility.
Seats? These may go for hundreds of dollars on the secondary market.
If NYRA had any brains, it would BAR on line sales of admissions and seats.
In person sales too would stop the ticket brokers from inflating the market.
Yes, in person only sales will adversely affect those who wish to come from out of town. I get that. BUT.......Sorry, you'll just have to wait your turn. BTW, I live in NC. So this in person idea would affect me as well.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #21
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Ya think?...Secondary market ticket sellers will use their robo programs to instantly gobble up every ticket. As a result fans will be getting fleeced by having to pay 5 if not ten times face value just to get into the facility.
Seats? These may go for hundreds of dollars on the secondary market.
If NYRA had any brains, it would BAR on line sales of admissions and seats.
In person sales too would stop the ticket brokers from inflating the market.
Yes, in person only sales will adversely affect those who wish to come from out of town. I get that. BUT.......Sorry, you'll just have to wait your turn. BTW, I live in NC. So this in person idea would affect me as well.
I know it's frustrated some people, but I've been very thankful for the old-school "call in - busy signal - redial - repeat" reservations system at Oaklawn this season, for the exact reasons you cite. I feel like I'm able to attend SOME of the time, whereas if it was an online system - think I'd be more likely to be shut out.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply