Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Who retires first?
Maximum Security 60 43.80%
Country House 47 34.31%
War of Will 27 19.71%
Sir Winston 3 2.19%
Voters: 137. This poll is closed

Old 06-10-2019, 12:14 AM   #1
Someday Silent

Who will retire first?

Maybe I'm just being overly cranky and cynical, but in recent years it seems that after the TC races are over, another race starts-- the one that ends in the breeding shed.

We haven't heard a peep about Country House since a few days post-Derby (Mott said he was "acting like he was wanting to get sick"). Maximum Security is now having bloodwork done because his trainer isn't satisfied with things (per a DRF article). War of Will took the Preakness nicely but ran dismally yesterday, and Sir Winston seems ok enough but could also be one of those who falls off the face of the earth after the Belmont.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
metro

War of Will had trouble again....wide....bumped.... and was the only horse who participated in all three of the TC races, let's give him a pass, at least for now.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
burnsy
self medicated

Co- Faves the survey has it close to what I'm thinking. Probably one of the "Derby Winners".
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
the little guy

People seem to be somewhat confused as to why a lot of 3YOs retire early. Farms will often buy the rights to top 2YOs with the stipulation that they retire at the end of their 3YO season. It's highly unlikely that that applies to the above group. Now, War of Will being a War Front has value, and he could get a deal ( for all I know he already has one ) but the other three are highly unlikely at this point. Assuming they don't retire due to injury, the others have limited appeal, at this point for sure, and definitely without significant achievement.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
People seem to be somewhat confused as to why a lot of 3YOs retire early. Farms will often buy the rights to top 2YOs with the stipulation that they retire at the end of their 3YO season. It's highly unlikely that that applies to the above group. Now, War of Will being a War Front has value, and he could get a deal ( for all I know he already has one ) but the other three are highly unlikely at this point. Assuming they don't retire due to injury, the others have limited appeal, at this point for sure, and definitely without significant achievement.
This is right. This is why California Chrome, for instance, had a long career and ended up winning all the big stakes races he won. The breeding industry wasn't interested in him, so they could race.

And, of course, that's actually central to what's wrong with the sport. Imagine if Barry Bonds, being sired by Bobby Bonds, or Cal Ripken, sired by Cal Ripken Sr., had retired to the breeding shed after a couple of good years in the majors because of their value as sires. Baseball fans would have missed out on Hall of Fame careers. Yet the breeding industry thinks there's nothing at all wrong with doing this with top horses in the prime of their careers.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
burnsy
self medicated

Both of you guys are right. But that’s a major reason the older division lacks fire power. Face it, we won’t see another field like the Met until BC Day. I made those two faves because the Derby has been known to crush some horses and all indications are health wise neither is what they were right now.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
The_Turf_Monster

I would love to see the jockey club not register a horse unless it was sired by a horse that ran at some higher age like 5
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
I would love to see the jockey club not register a horse unless it was sired by a horse that ran at some higher age like 5
How many millions have you put into buying horses?
Old 06-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
And, of course, that's actually central to what's wrong with the sport. Imagine if Barry Bonds, being sired by Bobby Bonds, or Cal Ripken, sired by Cal Ripken Sr., had retired to the breeding shed after a couple of good years in the majors because of their value as sires. Baseball fans would have missed out on Hall of Fame careers. Yet the breeding industry thinks there's nothing at all wrong with doing this with top horses in the prime of their careers.
Bobby Bonds played for 8 different teams in a 13-year career. Never won an MVP or a World Series. Not in the HOF.

Cal Ripken, Sr. didn't play in the Majors and only managed the Orioles in one single losing season. Not in the HOF.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
How many millions have you put into buying horses?
I've never spent a dollar on a racehorse outside of rescue donations (orgs, not quacks on twitter), which I think gives me a seat at the table moreso than most thoroughbred owners
Old 06-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #11
the little guy

Quote:
I've never spent a dollar on a racehorse outside of rescue donations (orgs, not quacks on twitter), which I think gives me a seat at the table moreso than most thoroughbred owners
Hopefully many of us have contributed to horse rescue, legitimate ones as you so kindly put it, as have most owners. The idea that you think that gives you more of a say about how people should run their businesses than those that actually put up their money speaks volumes about you....not them.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #12
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Hopefully many of us have contributed to horse rescue, legitimate ones as you so kindly put it, as have most owners. The idea that you think that gives you more of a say about how people should run their businesses than those that actually put up their money speaks volumes about you....not them.
When peoples 'businesses' involve pain-masking drugs to squeeze every last penny out of an animal before a breakdown or slaughter, I don't think they deserve a seat at the table about the direction of the breed more than people that donate for the betterment of those same animals they don't want to care for
Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #13
the little guy

Quote:
When peoples 'businesses' involve pain-masking drugs to squeeze every last penny out of an animal before a breakdown or slaughter, I don't think they deserve a seat at the table about the direction of the breed more than people that donate for the betterment of those same animals they don't want to care for
You're just flailing away here. Pretty disgraceful actually. You don't have a clue about what you are talking about yet feel free to make totally baseless accusations here.

I'm not even sure you deserve a seat at the children's table. You should probably be sent to bed without your dinner.

PA the Benevolent.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #14
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
You're just flailing away here. Pretty disgraceful actually. You don't have a clue about what you are talking about yet feel free to make totally baseless accusations here.

I'm not even sure you deserve a seat at the children's table. You should probably be sent to bed without your dinner.

PA the Benevolent.
You're welcome to give us a synopsis of what the majority of owners do with their horses upon retirement, what they choose to purchase at auction or upon claim and most importantly, how they have the betterment of the breed in mind by sending 3 year olds to the breeding shed for 'business' purposes
Old 06-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #15
the little guy

Quote:
You're welcome to give us a synopsis of what the majority of owners do with their horses upon retirement, what they choose to purchase at auction or upon claim and most importantly, how they have the betterment of the breed in mind by sending 3 year olds to the breeding shed for 'business' purposes
I don't have to give a synopsis of anything. I didn't come here making libelous and baseless accusations. You did.

I'm not sure how someone who spends eight figures a year buying horses shouldn't be allowed to take some money off the table by reaching a rare stud deal. I understand it isn't a perfect situation, but given these people pretty much always turn around and spend that money on more horses, thus supporting the horse population, it's not as though it doesn't help support the ecosystem. You've gone from this to suggest somehow this suggests mistreatment of horses ( and I'm being nice ), when nothing could be farther from the truth.

You have displayed a complete misunderstanding of how owners conduct their business, yet somehow demand those that did not slander these owners should defend their position. It doesn't work that way. You should learn something about how the industry actually operates before throwing around spurious charges. It's admirable that you give money to horse retirement/rescue, but that doesn't buy you the right to smear anyone and everyone involved in the game. You have absolutely no idea what people do or don't do....that's been made pretty clear from your comments here.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: