Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #46
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Beyer makes no such assumption. He is not making performance numbers, just speed figures. Factors used that may enhance or detract from the numbers is up to each individual handicapper.
That's slippery.

Obviously Beyer says he is only measuring the performance, not how the figure was earned.

But he also says that his figures are the single most important handicapping factor, the way, the truth, and the light, etc. And he specifically argues that you can compare horses' figures where they finish way back to other horses' winning figures. And he dismisses the "not perservered with" reasoning and ignores the "sucked in" issue.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #47
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
That's slippery.

Obviously Beyer says he is only measuring the performance, not how the figure was earned.

But he also says that his figures are the single most important handicapping factor, the way, the truth, and the light, etc. And he specifically argues that you can compare horses' figures where they finish way back to other horses' winning figures. And he dismisses the "not perservered with" reasoning and ignores the "sucked in" issue.
From his comments I think he consideres all aspects of trip when evaluating past performances, but I don't believe he includes all aspects of trip when making his variant projections.

For example, TG and RAG consider ground loss and weight changes when making their projection variants. TFUSA considers the pace and how it may have impcated the horses. Beyer is mostly just looking at prior figures and not consiering the ground loss and pace (unless perhaps it's very extreme like on turf). To me, in theory you should be including everything, but that makes a subjective process even more subjective. So there's an argument against it too.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #48
AndyC

Quote:
That's slippery.

Have you done a study on the "not persevered with" and "sucked in" horses to back up your claims? What percentage of these horses actually run back to the numbers and how many don't? And how do those percentages compare with horses not in the those 2 categories?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #49
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
That's slippery.

Come on, he said that a LONG time ago and clearly doesn't handicap as if that is true any longer. He has written several books since that should make this crystal clear.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #50
dilanesp

Quote:
Have you done a study on the "not persevered with" and "sucked in" horses to back up your claims? What percentage of these horses actually run back to the numbers and how many don't? And how do those percentages compare with horses not in the those 2 categories?
I have seen many instances of ridiculous figures in far back performances. I throw them out. Why would I need a study for information I don't use?
Old 06-17-2019, 11:49 PM   #51
AndyC

Quote:
I have seen many instances of ridiculous figures in far back performances. I throw them out. Why would I need a study for information I don't use?
You are the one that claimed it was an issue. You would need a study to see if your observation is, in fact, true. Races where horses don't run back to figures happen everyday.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #52
classhandicapper

There are problems with studies like that.

Most of the horses that drop back and get eased late are the ones that try to compete but get used up battling or get outrun by superior horses. Then as they tire, the jockey eases them late after they are already out of the purse money. The same thing will happen to that horse in race after race unless he drops in class (or there is form change).

So the only way to test it would be to look at horses that showed some contending speed or at least made a big move, dropped back, got eased, and then dropped in class.

That's when their figures should (and usually do) improve.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #53
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
There are problems with studies like that.

Most of the horses that drop back and get eased late are the ones that try to compete but get used up battling or get outrun by superior horses. Then as they tire, the jockey eases them late after they are already out of the purse money. The same thing will happen to that horse in race after race unless he drops in class (or there is form change).

So the only way to test it would be to look at horses that showed some contending speed or at least made a big move, dropped back, got eased, and then dropped in class.

That's when their figures should (and usually do) improve.
My comment pertained mostly to the figures of horses getting "sucked in". That would be easy to study.

I have found that most losing bettors have a habit of making bets based on opinions of handicapping factors with zero data for support.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #54
dilanesp

Quote:
My comment pertained mostly to the figures of horses getting "sucked in". That would be easy to study.

I have found that most losing bettors have a habit of making bets based on opinions of handicapping factors with zero data for support.
It's not an affirmative claim. The affirmative claim is the figure is unreliable. Sucking the horse in is one of several reasons it could be unreliable.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #55
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
It's not an affirmative claim. The affirmative claim is the figure is unreliable. Sucking the horse in is one of several reasons it could be unreliable.
This concept ("sucking the horse along") applies to harness racing, but I don't think it applies to t'bred racing. Hopefully, someone with a database can show some stats.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2019, 08:37 PM   #56
classhandicapper

Quote:

I agree with that 100%.

It's usually either the result of some short term experience that made a big impression or they read it in a book written by someone that learned the same way.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #57
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
This concept ("sucking the horse along") applies to harness racing, but I don't think it applies to t'bred racing. Hopefully, someone with a database can show some stats.
I'm not sure how to test that, but I have demonstrated some of this to my satisfaction.

If a horse moves way up in class and tries to compete, it will often fail to duplicate its figures earned at the lower class. Then when it drops back down in class its figure will jump back up (there are exceptions like high quality lightly raced horses that will move up in class and show even more).

However, if the same type of horse just sits in the back of the pack and makes a very non threatening very late move at the higher class, it will often run the same figure at the higher class.

It kind of like what we see with deep closers in general.

If they move very late, they'll often make a good run and earn a good figure, but without being in position to win. Next time, if they move sooner and actually try to get into position to win, they'll hang and disappoint. So to me, the sucking up late phenomenon is more about the timing of the move and whether the horse worked in the middle of the race to get into position to win or not.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 06-18-2019 at 08:52 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #58
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Well it applies to human racing too.

So why WOULDN'T it apply to thoroughbreds?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #59
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

This shouldn't be too hard to test. You just have to define the suck up horse. Try a query, for example, with horses that weren't in the top 3 at any point, have a last race speed figure in the top three next out, and see how they do from a win percentage and ROI standpoint. Then compare to all horses with a top 3 speed figure last out that were in the top three at some point during the last race.

You can do the same for horses that battle for the lead then fade to the back. The only limits are your ability to accurately define what you are researching. The answers are there if you get the question right.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #60
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Well it applies to human racing too.

So why WOULDN'T it apply to thoroughbreds?
Like you, I'm speculating (just taking the other side). CJ has given a broad outline of how to test your theory. I look forward seeing the results from a large-scale database query. I'm always open to changing my mind, especially based on the results from a large data query.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: