Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-19-2019, 03:49 AM   #271
Actor
Librocubicularist

https://chummytees.com/products/im-a...12572046786644
Old 04-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #272
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Since you say you are aware that you have had many lifetimes, can you remember any experiences on the "other side" in between reincarnations. My understanding is that many people stay 50 or 60 years on the other side before reincarnating. It varies.

Also did you become aware of these past lifetimes through dreams?

sure they are my dreams (well mostly nightmares) but also some vague conscious memories from the high function part of my brain,as an aside I also sleepwalk on a regular basis.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #273
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Old 04-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #274
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."
And we mustn't forget that the Lord of Hosts also carries the title "Captain". And then there's the whole church militant thingy, too.

I'm proud of you. Someday you might actually become a bible scholar.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #275
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
It is usually a mistake to tie correlation with causality.
I think that I'd rather have a good Christian, Jew, or Hindu next door to me as a neighbor than Charles Manson, a Mafia don, or Hells Angel leader.
If what you are saying is true, you'll find the following report of interest.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- As Christian and Jewish Americans prepare to celebrate Easter and Passover, respectively, Gallup finds the percentage of Americans who report belonging to a church, synagogue or mosque at an all-time low, averaging 50% in 2018.

U.S. church membership was 70% or higher from 1937 through 1976, falling modestly to an average of 68% in the 1970s through the 1990s. The past 20 years have seen an acceleration in the drop-off, with a 20-percentage-point decline since 1999 and more than half of that change occurring since the start of the current decade.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/248837/...o-decades.aspx
And none of this surprises because scripture predicted this.

The bible also tells us that in these "last days" the human heart will become increasingly depraved.

Matt 24:10-14
10 "And at that time many will fall away and will deliver up one another and hate one another. 11 "And many false prophets will arise, and will mislead many. 12 "And because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. 13 "But the one who endures to the end, he shall be saved. 14 "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world for a witness to all the nations, and then the end shall come.
NASB

So...with passages like this and 2Thes 2:3, it's no wonder at that church attendance and membership are down considerably. And the predicted apostasy in this passage can only be referring to Christ's church.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #276
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoxcar
The bible also tells us that in these "last days" the human heart will become increasingly depraved.
Then your take on scripture is wrong. Been pointing out there is a huge amount of evidence that "sinning" as demonstrated by horrendous crimes have recently diminished drastically.

You seem unwilling to accept that. Wonder why?

Guess it's destroys your 17th century tonally crazy total depravity theory.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #277
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Then your take on scripture is wrong. Been pointing out there is a huge amount of evidence that "sinning" as demonstrated by horrendous crimes have recently diminished drastically.

You seem unwilling to accept that. Wonder why?

Guess it's destroys your 17th century tonally crazy total depravity theory.
No, you're a liar! You said sinning by murder-- as in one sin. And that's all it is ONE sin.

Since all Law and the Prophets are hinged to the two greatest love commandments thadt Jesus taught, then that lack love can be expressed in a multitude of ways -- even within the Church. And we see this by people leaving the church or having no interest whatsoever of being part of a church to hear gospel preaching.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #278
hcap

Not only homicides and violent crimes worldwide drastically decreasing, but there is some evidence we are living in a relatively peaceful period in terms of war.

https://oefresearch.org/think-peace/...ce-decline-war

To begin, the graph above shows the number of battle deaths per million people (using a moving average, displayed on a logarithmic scale) for wars beginning in each year. Consistent with previous arguments, it does appear that the period since the mid-1980s was more peaceful than average. However, we can also see several other peaceful periods, such as during the Concert of Europe during the first half of the 1800s. Given this variability, it is difficult to see any clear trend.

To more formally analyze whether there might be a trend in war deaths hidden in the graph, I ran several statistical tests, which are described further in the technical appendix. Looking at the overall period, there is no evidence of a decline in interstate war. While it is possible that war has declined since 1945, this decline is matched by increases in earlier periods. Thus, while it is possible that the probability of dying in battle has changed over time, there is little statistical reason to believe that the recent decline will last.

Despite this, I think there may be reasons to hope that the recent more peaceful period may continue. Like Clauset, I have only analyzed interstate conflict. Thus, a decline in civil war may be hiding in the data. In addition, the world is wealthier, more interconnected, and more democratic and has more international institutions than ever—all factors that scholars suggest may promote peace.
.................................................. ...........................

So total depravity is not total
Old 04-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #279
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
No, you're a liar! You said sinning by murder-- as in one sin. And that's all it is ONE sin.

Since all Law and the Prophets are hinged to the two greatest love commandments thadt Jesus taught, then that lack love can be expressed in a multitude of ways -- even within the Church. And we see this by people leaving the church or having no interest whatsoever of being part of a church to hear gospel preaching.
I repeatedly showed in addition to homicide dimminishing as one sin, violent crime, a whole bunch of other sins, has also declined dramatically.

Be careful throwing around liar bunky
Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #280
hcap

Total depravity? There is hope. Keep your fingers crossed.

The world is actually becoming more peaceful — believe it or not
https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-09-...ieve-it-or-not

It’s time for a reality check. War seems more widespread than ever. Iraq, Syria, Ukraine, Gaza, Afghanistan, etc. Pope Francis warned earlier this month that a "piecemeal" World War III may have already begun. Violence on the streets seems to be growing too.

But stop the presses! It seems that may not actually be true.

“Violence exists,” says Harvard psychologist Steven Pinker. “It hasn’t gone down to zero. But past decades were far more violent.”

Pinker has crunched the numbers. He first published his findings in 2011 in a book called The Better Angels of our Nature: Why Violence has Declined. He’s just updated his findings in the light of the violence in the three years since then.

In an interview, Pinker says “you can really only get a sense of how violent the world is, and what the trends are, if you count.”

“What you have to do, of course,” he explains, “is count the number of wars, count the number of people killed in war, plot the trend over time. That’s how you get a picture of whether the world has become more, or less, violent. It’s the only way to get such a picture.”
Old 04-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #281
Greyfox

Quote:

hcap - I have sincere questions, and yes I've read Zuckerman's stuff on secular rates of homicide vs religious nations. Personally, I'd want to look at how he collected his data, the actual data, and how he analyzed it before believing it.
Implicit in what you are saying is:
People with religiosity are more likely per capita to commit murder than atheists.

If true, why would that be?
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #282
boxcar

Quote:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-09-...ieve-it-or-not

It’s time for a reality check. War seems more widespread than ever. Iraq, Syria, Ukraine, Gaza, Afghanistan, etc. Pope Francis warned earlier this month that a "piecemeal" World War III may have already begun. Violence on the streets seems to be growing too.

But stop the presses! It seems that may not actually be true.

“Violence exists,” says Harvard psychologist Steven Pinker. “It hasn’t gone down to zero. But past decades were far more violent.”

Pinker has crunched the numbers. He first published his findings in 2011 in a book called The Better Angels of our Nature: Why Violence has Declined. He’s just updated his findings in the light of the violence in the three years since then.

In an interview, Pinker says “you can really only get a sense of how violent the world is, and what the trends are, if you count.”

“What you have to do, of course,” he explains, “is count the number of wars, count the number of people killed in war, plot the trend over time. That’s how you get a picture of whether the world has become more, or less, violent. It’s the only way to get such a picture.”
https://youtu.be/ramBFRt1Uzk
Have you ever been in a hurricane? Have you ever experienced the calm before the storm?
Old 04-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #283
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
hcap - I have sincere questions, and yes I've read Zuckerman's stuff on secular rates of homicide vs religious nations. Personally, I'd want to look at how he collected his data, the actual data, and how he analyzed it before believing it.
Implicit in what you are saying is:
People with religiosity are more likely per capita to commit murder than atheists.

If true, why would that be?
Atheism, Secularity, and Well-Being:How the Findings of Social Science Counter Negative Stereotypes and Assumptions By PHIL ZUCKERMAN
https://pitweb.pitzer.edu/academics/...gy-Compass.pdf

Knock yourself out.
References pages 28 through 45

Again correlation is not proof but there seems to be evidence that implies more homicides and violent crimes among the religious.

Certainly not more total depravity contrary to fundamentalist speculations.

Do you have any evidence showing the non religious are more depraved?
Old 04-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #284
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Have you ever been in a hurricane? Have you ever experienced the calm before the storm?
You mean you will stop making unfounded noisy proclamations soon?

I guess since you stopped with your absurd ass backwards time theories, you have been a bit more sedated.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #285
Greyfox

Quote:
Atheism, Secularity, and Well-Being:How the Findings of Social Science Counter Negative Stereotypes and Assumptions By PHIL ZUCKERMAN
https://pitweb.pitzer.edu/academics/...gy-Compass.pdf

Knock yourself out.
References pages 28 through 45

Again correlation is not proof but there seems to be evidence that implies more homicides and violent crimes among the religious.

Certainly not more total depravity contrary to fundamentalist speculations.

Do you have any evidence showing the non religious are more depraved?
I already said that I was aware of the Zuckerman stuff.
Like a matador you dodged the question I asked.
So let me simplify it in a more concrete way.

Would I be safer in a. a Nunnery or b. a Hells Angels biker bar?

Is the answer a. or is it b.?
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: