Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Poll: Self driving cars in the present, good idea or bad idea?
Poll Options
Self driving cars in the present, good idea or bad idea?

Old 03-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
Inner Dirt

Self driving cars in the present, good idea or bad idea?

I figured I will make this a poll question here and on another forum that is industry based where there are many members that troubleshoot and repair like systems to those that control autonomous cars, including some members that own design and manufacturing businesses of like systems. It will be interesting to see the different view points of those with inside knowledge and experience compared to those who must decide to trust an information source that may or may not be biased.

Please base your vote on current road conditions not a hypothetical highway system design around autonomous cars in the year 2038. I have no problem if someone wants to test and develop these cars, but do it on a race track, not on public roads. There are plenty of paved ovals, road courses and dirt tracks that sit unused for the bulk of the year they can test these things on. They can rent the track instead of driving on taxpayer funded roads.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Is the question, are self driving cards ready to be fully autonomous with no intervention by the driver?

Last edited by JerryBoyle; 03-23-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: more concise
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
Is the question, are self driving cards ready to be fully autonomous with no intervention by the driver?
As they are in their current state and how the typical person would interact with the vehicle.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
As they are in their current state and how the typical person would interact with the vehicle.
Still not quite sure what we're measuring as good or bad, but if it's "are they good/bad for the typical person", that answer surely has to be bad.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Still not quite sure what we're measuring as good or bad, but if it's "are they good/bad for the typical person", that answer surely has to be bad.

Strange how everyone in that other place understands where I am coming from. How about do you want them to share the road with you or not?
Old 03-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Strange how everyone in that other place understands where I am coming from. How about do you want them to share the road with you or not?
What is the other place? Would be interesting to read their comments.

I wouldn't mind sharing the road. In fact, I have in one city in which I lived. I'd still like an attentive human driver in the car. This comes back to the emotion part of it. Regardless of my personal feelings currently, I truly think they'll result in safer roads in the future. As such, I'm willing to sacrifice my current comfort, maybe take a little risk, and allow them to be tested in real life situations. The fact is, testing on a track is only gonna get them so far. I don't think they're so dangerous now that they can't be tested in real life, and the data shows that to be true.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
What is the other place? Would be interesting to read their comments.
Practical Machinist here is a link to the thread.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d-idea-348301/
Old 03-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Practical Machinist here is a link to the thread.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d-idea-348301/
"On another forum where I am probably the only member who knows much about the systems contained in a self driving car there are a few people adamant about how wonderful they are and have no understanding of the possible problems no matter how they are explained to them"

Lol, really? How many times do you want me to say that I agree there are engineering challenges. I get it, sensors can fail and this problem needs to be solved. Though I don't know you at all, I'm beginning to think you need this boost in self confidence: I'll agree you're a fantastic machinist who knows more than I could ever hope to. Happy?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
The fact is, testing on a track is only gonna get them so far.
They should have been extensively tested in a lab and on a track before they were turned loose on city streets. I have a strong feeling they have not. You can simulate a lot of real life conditions without putting people at risk. Sharing the road with other drivers is only a small part of it.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Interestingly, you have yet to answer the question I've asked repeatedly. At what point will you feel comfortable letting an autonomous car on the road?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
"On another forum where I am probably the only member who knows much about the systems contained in a self driving car there are a few people adamant about how wonderful they are and have no understanding of the possible problems no matter how they are explained to them"

Lol, really? How many times do you want me to say that I agree there are engineering challenges. I get it, sensors can fail and this problem needs to be solved. Though I don't know you at all, I'm beginning to think you need this boost in self confidence: I'll agree you're a fantastic machinist who knows more than I could ever hope to. Happy?
I am a lot more than a machinist, and I am just trying to explain the pitfalls to people without my knowledge and experience that the self driving car is a ticking time bomb. I could care less what Joe Schmo thinks of my knowledge and skills. Let me guess you are a liberal, the kind that refuses to listen to someone more educated on a subject than you are.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
I am a lot more than a machinist, and I am just trying to explain the pitfalls to people without my knowledge and experience that the self driving car is a ticking time bomb. I could care less what Joe Schmo thinks of my knowledge and skills. Let me guess you are a liberal, the kind that refuses to listen to someone more educated on a subject than you are.
Haha again, no. You've now failed to guess my knowledge on autonomous cars and my political views. 0/2. You may want to focus on the argument at hand instead of personal attacks, based on your own feelings...
Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Interestingly, you have yet to answer the question I've asked repeatedly. At what point will you feel comfortable letting an autonomous car on the road?

When they are extensively tested and can out perform humans even in extreme conditions and while their upkeep has been substandard. The autonomous car is not a piece of machinery bolted to a concrete slab inside a walled in building that will turn itself off if a component fails, which will happen with increased frequency as the fleet ages and is exposed to the elements.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Haha again, no. You've now failed to guess my knowledge on autonomous cars and my political views. 0/2. You may want to focus on the argument at hand instead of personal attacks, based on your own feelings...
You make personal attacks all the time, but if you feel attacked there is a problem? So you are one of those dish it out and can't take it types. You don't know squat about how autonomous cars function. I asked you to prove you did and you came up with NOTHING. Something simple would have sufficed, even if you said "servo motor" I would have given you a pass, but you fell silent.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #15
boxcar

What could possibly go wrong with a car on auto pilot? What works for jetliners in the air should work equally as well with cars on land, right?