Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Who wins HOY? Accelerate or Justify?
Accelerate wins HOY 119 42.35%
Justify wins HOY 162 57.65%
Voters: 281. This poll is closed

Old 11-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #91
GMB@BP

This horse of the year debate is kind of silly.

in 20 years when someone me mentions Accelerate people will say, yea I remember him a bit, good horse.

In 20 years when they say Justify everyone will know who he is and what he did.

This is a trophy and in some regards a political vote, history will dictate who the most accomplished horse was in the year 2018 in regards what they did on the track.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #92
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
This horse of the year debate is kind of silly.

in 20 years when someone me mentions Accelerate people will say, yea I remember him a bit, good horse.

In 20 years when they say Justify everyone will know who he is and what he did.

This is a trophy and in some regards a political vote, history will dictate who the most accomplished horse was in the year 2018 in regards what they did on the track.
I mostly agree. My motivation is Baffert. I do believe Accelerate deserves it but I really hate to see Baffert rewarded for anything.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #93
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
I mostly agree. My motivation is Baffert. I do believe Accelerate deserves it but I really hate to see Baffert rewarded for anything.
I don't hate Baffert. I hate the owners for retiring a horse after six races.

Baffert did an amazing job with Justify.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #94
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I don't hate Baffert. I hate the owners for retiring a horse after six races.

Baffert did an amazing job with Justify.
He was retired cuz he couldn't run anymore. Otherwise he'd have run in the Breeders' Cup for sure and possibly Pegasus. He was burned out physically IMO
Old 11-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #95
dilanesp

Quote:
He was retired cuz he couldn't run anymore. Otherwise he'd have run in the Breeders' Cup for sure and possibly Pegasus. He was burned out physically IMO
No, I think Justify could have been the soundest horse in history after the Belmont and they were going to find an excuse to retire him.

And I am highly skeptical that 6 races burned him out.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #96
Andy Asaro

Quote:
No, I think Justify could have been the soundest horse in history after the Belmont and they were going to find an excuse to retire him.

And I am highly skeptical that 6 races burned him out.
6 races in that short of a period of time would certainly burn a new 3yo out. They rushed him into the Derby and Triple Crown for the $$$$ and they got it.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #97
GMB@BP

Quote:
6 races in that short of a period of time would certainly burn a new 3yo out. They rushed him into the Derby and Triple Crown for the $$$$ and they got it.
I would be fine with that if I owned him.

I would rather win the triple crown than the BC and some important races at SA and Del Mar.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #98
Andy Asaro

Quote:
I would be fine with that if I owned him.

I would rather win the triple crown than the BC and some important races at SA and Del Mar.
Right. They didn't care about his career as a racehorse which is their right.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #99
Andy Asaro

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...19#post2393919
Old 11-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #100
papillon

Horseracing Nation has a list of it's writers (?) choices.

The break down was almost evenly male/female Accelerate/Justify. The women even used exclamation points. The lone male was about 18yrs old.

I showed it to a friend of mine, who is female her for take. She sighed and said, "That's the real reason we [women] always are taking one step forward, two steps back. Grown women basically saying 'because pretty pony'."

Someone over there also posted some sports (?) writers lists of best TC winners ranked.

One had Justify 4th, above Affirmed. AP was 8th.

The other, had Justify tied with Slew at 5th, ahead of War Admiral, Citation, and Whirlaway. He had AP above Slew.

I find this more than assinine, I find it offensive. Those who argue this horse, who never ran fast on any track by any clock and who's best left over competition is being hailed as world beater for winning a listed stakes over nothing, deserves to be HOTY because of an obsession with the TC, will cement this crap.

Fager never won it, and he's greater than all of them.

Magnum Moon entered the Derby on 4 wins, and he too never raced at 2. He did that in 4 months as well. Clearly he had a full and historic career, ended too soon by some unknown injury.

Yet Nyquist, meh. Blah. Nothing of a career. FWIW, Nyquist had to have colic surgey in early December 2015, they discovered he had a severe blockage of his intestine from blunt force trauma that must have happened months before. He would have suffered from malabsorption, which would have depleted his glycogen stores, making it impossible for him to sustain any physical exertion. O'Neil had to close Nyquist's twitter because people wouldn't stop saying he looked small and thin. Before the Preakness, Ron Ellis picked against him because he didn't look healthy. Oh, what might have been. Oh wait, he raced as a 2 year old and only won 8 in a row and the BCJ and Derby, what was I thinking.

Last edited by papillon; 11-12-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typo
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #101
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Yet Nyquist, meh. Blah. Nothing of a career. FWIW, Nyquist had to have colic surgey in early December 2015, they discovered he had a severe blockage of his intestine from blunt force trauma that must have happened months before. He would have suffered from malabsorption, which would have depleted his glycogen stores, making it impossible for him to sustain any physical exertion. O'Neil had to close Nyquist's twitter because people wouldn't stop saying he looked small and thin. Before the Preakness, Ron Ellis picked against him because he didn't look healthy. Oh, what might have been. Oh wait, he raced as a 2 year old and only won 8 in a row and the BCJ and Derby, what was I thinking.
Nyquist had colic surgery after he was retired, not before the Triple Crown. It was December 2016, not 2015.

Nyquist was retired because he had a leg injury (note he's on the California Vet List that was posted on another thread), not because of any gastrointestinal insult.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #102
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Nyquist had colic surgery after he was retired, not before the Triple Crown. It was December 2016, not 2015.

Nyquist was retired because he had a leg injury (note he's on the California Vet List that was posted on another thread), not because of any gastrointestinal insult.
stop posting fake news here man
Old 11-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #103
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Someone over there also posted some sports (?) writers lists of best TC winners ranked.

One had Justify 4th, above Affirmed. AP was 8th.

The other, had Justify tied with Slew at 5th, ahead of War Admiral, Citation, and Whirlaway. He had AP above Slew.
This shouldn't surprise you. Horse racing's decline means that there aren't a lot of people who know even the basic history. The only horses from bygone eras who a lot of people can probably name are Man O'War and Seabiscuit, and neither one won the TC. (Of course, there's a lesson there for people who say that Justify will be "immortal" because he won the thing and did literally nothing else.)

To know how good Citation was, you have to know something about racing. You have to know how good some of the horses he beat (like Armed and Miss Grillo) were. You have to know how much faster the times he ran in 1950 were (including the ones when he was running second to Noor) compared to anything that had come before.

Few people know that anymore.

So they say "sure Justify's better than Citation. Justify's undefeated, right?".
Old 11-13-2018, 09:58 PM   #104
GMB@BP

Quote:
This shouldn't surprise you. Horse racing's decline means that there aren't a lot of people who know even the basic history. The only horses from bygone eras who a lot of people can probably name are Man O'War and Seabiscuit, and neither one won the TC. (Of course, there's a lesson there for people who say that Justify will be "immortal" because he won the thing and did literally nothing else.)

To know how good Citation was, you have to know something about racing. You have to know how good some of the horses he beat (like Armed and Miss Grillo) were. You have to know how much faster the times he ran in 1950 were (including the ones when he was running second to Noor) compared to anything that had come before.

Few people know that anymore.

So they say "sure Justify's better than Citation. Justify's undefeated, right?".
We have gone from saying Justify will be more remembered than Accelerate to bringing in Man O War, Seabiscuit and Citation. Talk about a straw man argument, your comparing immortal horse racing legends that no one contends Justify will be higher thought of than.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #105
dilanesp

Quote:
We have gone from saying Justify will be more remembered than Accelerate to bringing in Man O War, Seabiscuit and Citation. Talk about a straw man argument, your comparing immortal horse racing legends that no one contends Justify will be higher thought of than.
Except a poll says he is.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: