Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
PressThePace

Most Frustrating Part of Your Own Game?

Interested to know what others say about the most frustrating part/aspect /deficiency of your own game in regard to handicapping(not betting). For me, it's the fact that I still have a propensity to downgrade speed/leader types when I see multiple runners with the running style. I've adjusted accordingly from the wagering aspect, but it still bites me in the ass from time to time.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
dansan

$$

Not having bigger balls to bet more $$$ on my ponies
dansan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'm too anti-favorite when it comes to horizontal bets like P4 and P5s.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
Si2see

Nothing with the handicapping. Almost always frustrated with the wagering
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
tubesockshakur

When betting tris not putting some win money on my bombs. Been pissed many times over my 35 year run.
tubesockshakur is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
Interested to know what others say about the most frustrating part/aspect /deficiency of your own game in regard to handicapping(not betting). For me, it's the fact that I still have a propensity to downgrade speed/leader types when I see multiple runners with the running style. I've adjusted accordingly from the wagering aspect, but it still bites me in the ass from time to time.
ok...I'll be the first to answer your actual question and reveal a handicapping weakness. In fact, I'll give two.

A) I sometimes over-stress the psychological aspects of placement and trainer intent. It REALLY messes with my head, for instance, when a horse taking what I perceive to be a negative class drop wins.

B) I too often strain to convince myself that a seemingly obvious pace-scenario will not play out. And while I DO think the juiciest opportunities occur when the public misreads an impending race-flow, I tend to imagine such situations when they don't really exist.

Last edited by mountainman; 04-22-2020 at 10:24 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #7
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
ok...I'll be the first to answer your actual question and reveal a handicapping weakness. In fact, I'll give two.

A) I sometimes over-stress the psychological aspects of placement and trainer intent. It REALLY messes with my head, for instance, when a horse taking what I perceive to be a negative class drop wins.

B) I too often strain to convince myself that a seemingly obvious pace-scenario will not play out. And while I DO think the juiciest opportunities occur when the public misreads an impending race-flow, I tend to imagine such situations when they don't really exist.
Now we're talking. And, I will say that both of those scenarios have caused me grief more than once. Thanks for sharing!
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2020, 02:21 AM   #8
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
One thing about this game that gets to you once in a while. My notes for the mandatory P 5. The second and last leg have the right horses. The fourth leg chaps my ass. Notice the is there to start with, but not on any ticket. And the is not there, but played.
Quote:
TAMPA BAY DOWNS
RACE 5
P4
$0.50 ///
Quote:
Did back up the P 4 with another P4.

TAMPA BAY DOWNS
RACE 5
P4
$0.50 ///
Tampa came / / /

The last two days say it all, on the right horses, but did not bet the right way.

Bet the right way, and it is $15,000.00+.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #9
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

Overthinking it definitely comes into play. I've had longshots that my pace programs pointed out that I talked myself out of betting because of red flags and the horses won and paid huge prices. For example, I used to eliminate some longshots because the trainer or jockey was on a cold streak. It turns out, low percentage trainers are ideal for longshot plays.

With longshots, aren't there always going to be red flags? That's why I prefer exotics, now I just throw the horse in my doubles or pick 3's. If the horse runs up the track, I've still got a chance but if it comes in, I've got a big price shot. I've done much better on Daily Doubles this year by throwing more of these longstots in.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
Waquoit

"Not having bigger balls to bet more $$$ on my ponies."
"I'm too anti-favorite when it comes to horizontal bets like P4 and P5s."

These two together. I've been making bigger tickets lately and one just hit because of a horse I wouldn't have had. Still don't want to make them too big.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #11
classhandicapper

Overthinking about the data.

IMO, the more you know, the more likely you are to LOSE some confidence in whatever figures or metrics you are using to evaluate a horse's performances because you understand the complexities and the potential for errors in all these numbers and subjective opinions on trips and biases.

The game is way simpler if you simply accept whatever speed and pace figures you are using as accurate and think you right about every bias and trip. You are probably delusional , but at least you are confident (in some cases arrogant) and that makes the game easier to play. That's a better position to be in than both trying to evaluate all the information you have and questioning whether it's accurate to begin with.

When I hear certain public handicappers express borderline arrogant opinions on horses I both laugh at their naivety and becomes jealous of it.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 04-24-2020 at 10:58 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Hands down the finish line placement!

1/2 inch more either way and I would be a rich man!
Old 04-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #13
Ocala Mike

Money management!
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2020, 06:11 PM   #14
castaway01

Quote:
Tampa came / / /

The last two days say it all, on the right horses, but did not bet the right way.

Bet the right way, and it is $15,000.00+.
I wasn't sure if it would qualify as part of my "game" because I don't know if there's a way to fix or change it, but these types of losses are definitely the most frustrating part of THE game, no question.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2020, 06:58 PM   #15
how cliche
How Cliche

real talk. too many races, in fact most of them are indecipherable to me.
how cliche is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: