Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-28-2022, 03:25 PM   #61
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
But... he REALLY hung. Cyberknife and Zandon were tiring. He moved up alongside, seemed like he should have blown right past them, and finished a clear second. Instead, he wasn't able to close the deal.

So this race showed both the potential and the limitations of Rich Strike.
All IMO

Rich Strike hung a little, but more or less ran back to the Derby. I think some of these others have moved past him a little, but he proved he wasn't a total fluke.

Epicenter proved he's been the best 3yo all along after finally getting a trip no one could complain about.

Cyberknife is improved and pretty good.

Zandon hung. He wasn't going to beat Epicenter no matter what given how that horse ran, but he should have gotten by Cyberknife. For all the pre Derby talk that he was going to appreciate stretching out, he seemed to lose his punch late again.

Early Voting is a very fast horse that was flattered by a couple of favorable surfaces that has since been exposed by the last two. I'd shorten him up for now at least.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:36 PM   #62
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Epicenter proved he's been the best 3yo all along after finally getting a trip no one could complain about.
Should have been in the Belmont; likely would have run away with that race as well.

But then again, Epicenter's presence in the Belmont might have disuaded Repole from his quarterly "look at me" moment.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2022, 10:59 AM   #63
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Has Artorius finished the race yet. The four Derby horses ran 1-4! Finally a race that ran the way it was supposed to.
Well, you jumped on the Epicenter bandwagon early (hat tip), and now maybe he's improved a bit - or the others in the crop haven't. I still don't think much of any of them, and Early Voting running dead last (who I liked a smidge on Saturday) doesn't say much for the quality of the Triple Crown this year.

I don't expect 3YOs to make much noise in the Breeder's Cup, though I've been known to be wrong...sometimes.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2022, 01:57 PM   #64
classhandicapper

We shouldn't forget Messier (back in training) and of curse Taiba who IMO was best in the Haskell (still just a bit green). As impressive as Epicenter was, Taiba feels very dangerous for the BC Classic. He's working up a storm and has that more even grinding style that may love 10F.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:00 PM   #65
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
We shouldn't forget Messier (back in training) and of curse Taiba who IMO was best in the Haskell (still just a bit green). As impressive as Epicenter was, Taiba feels very dangerous for the BC Classic. He's working up a storm and has that more even grinding style that may love 10F.
Is he running in the Pac Classic?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2022, 02:05 PM   #66
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Is he running in the Pac Classic?
I don't believe so.

Last I saw was Flightline, Express Train, Stilleto Boy, Extra Hope, Royal Ship, and Country Grammer, but I may not have the latest info.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:18 PM   #67
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I don't believe so.

Last I saw was Flightline, Express Train, Stilleto Boy, Extra Hope, Royal Ship, and Country Grammer, but I may not have the latest info.
Well he isn't going to get less green never racing. Penn Derby maybe I'd guess if not Del Mar.

EDIT: Just saw that is the plan, PA Derby then Classic.

Last edited by cj; 08-29-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:27 PM   #68
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Well he isn't going to get less green never racing. Penn Derby maybe I'd guess if not Del Mar.

EDIT: Just saw that is the plan, PA Derby then Classic.
One thing that seems guaranteed- Taiba and Flightline will meet, at the most, once.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2022, 04:35 PM   #69
classhandicapper

Quote:
One thing that seems guaranteed- Taiba and Flightline will meet, at the most, once.
On a van to their respective breeding farms?
Old 08-29-2022, 05:55 PM   #70
Robert Fischer
clean money

don't post this stuff right after I give out Mira Mission the 8th choice in the Sword Dancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_2002 View Post
NO LONGER AN ...
Old 08-30-2022, 12:59 PM   #71
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
The "it" matchup" would be with Life is Good, probably also only once.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:26 PM   #72
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Epicenter ran 'em off their feet. Dominant win, and a great time. Thought he might take a little step back yesterday. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Locked up 3YO of the year. Serious BC Classic contender.
Jack Christopher (JC) might get 3YO consideration if he wins the BC sprint, or maybe the mile. If Epicenter bombs in the BCC, that would leave him with one Grade 1 to JC's two.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2022, 04:47 PM   #73
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Jack Christopher (JC) might get 3YO consideration if he wins the BC sprint, or maybe the mile. If Epicenter bombs in the BCC, that would leave him with one Grade 1 to JC's two.
Unlikely to happen I suppose, but I wonder if it will be on the table to consider the BC Mile on turf for Jack Christopher.

Munnings is a "hidden" turf sire having sired numberous turf winner despite never starting on the stuff himself; Munnings hails from the family of Al Mamoon, Lasting Approval, La Guierere, Lost Soldier, Icon Project, and descends from blue hen La Troienne (Allez France & Caerleon, etc.).

Jack Christopher's bottom side comes from a Juddmonte family that includes the international traveler Running Stag and another "hidden" turf sire in Street Boss.

3yos have been quite successful historically in the BC Mile.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2022, 07:00 PM   #74
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I don't think it would be close, 2nd in the Derby and Preakness along with a Travers (plus the Louisiana wins) would trump JC's accomplishments.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:18 PM   #75
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Can't see it. JC got beat in his lone 'Classic' distance race by Cyberknife and Taiba. 2 horses Epicenter has more than handled at 'Classic' distances.

Also have to look at the number of times ran with Epicenter already having 7 in the bag and JC just 4. While JC has had some dominant wins, the fields were a bit short so to speak even though G1 wins. Pappacap, Wit, and Gunite are nice horses, but Epicenter beat Pappacap twice and has ran in much more competitive races and tougher fields. And again, at Classic distances.

EC's Risen Star, La Derby, Ky Derby, Preakness, Jim Dandy, and Traver's were all winning races against the cream of their crop. JC would have to do something spectacular like winning the BC Sprint, Dirt Mile, or BC Mile by numerous open lengths IMO.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply