Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of all Stronach tracks now using the same screen graphics?
Like 34 24.29%
Dislike 45 32.14%
Don't care 61 43.57%
Voters: 140. This poll is closed

Old 01-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
FantasticDan
gelding

Stronach tracks all switch to same screen graphics

With the exception of a small track logo in the upper left corner, and each track being assigned a different background color..

Santa Anita: Teal
Gulfstream Park: Blue
Laurel Park: Pink
Golden Gate: Yellow

...these tracks are now all using identical graphics software, and thus all look the same..

Like? Dislike? Don't care?

I personally like how each track has its own look and style, and now these tracks have lost that..
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Suff
Beat up 💪

Bring back gate rock-n-roll. I loved that. The new graphics are traumatizing initially but in a week I'll forget what the old graphics looked like.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #3
rrpic6

Laurel now says "Maryland Jockey Club". Simulcast players are very confused. Well the ones that never buy a program and just bet by looking at the TV's.

RR
Old 01-19-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
the little guy

The graphics are basically fine when you are looking at your computer screen, but illegible when on a TV from a distance in a simulcast facility.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2020, 12:19 AM   #5
jay68802

Once you get used to it, the odds and will pays are easy to read. Mostly because they are large. The top of the screen is not easy to read or see and is basically useless.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I usually like simple and clean, but when you really look at these it looks like maybe somebody made them in paint and made them too small, so when they are displayed on a bigger screen they don't look very good. They just don't look very crisp which you should get with something so simple.

Attached Images
File Type: png GPgraph.png (193.4 KB, 69 views)
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I don't play any Stronach tracks, so they have alwys looked alike to me!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #8
Suff
Beat up 💪

this story not worth a thread so tuck it in here.

I flew JFK to FLL this past Thursday. Full flight and the gate agent offered me $400 , a meal voucher, and transportation to LGA for a later flight that same evening from La Guardia. I took it. But I was wondering what kind of VIP or situation prevented the person from just taking the later flight from LGA themselves.

Anyway, the agent tells me to have a seat and after he loads the plane he'll deal with me. No problem, I turn, take 30 steps and I hear him call me over the intercom.. "Michael Dud please come to the desk"

I head back up...and who is there? Michael Dubb! lol. We had a good laugh about the name confusion and I enjoyed getting the chance to shake his hand and small talk.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:35 PM   #9
Suff
Beat up 💪

6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
this past Thursday. .

Brooklyn , New York. R Train.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #10
michiken

Looks like a millenial designed it on a cell phone for a cell phone. I can't read it from 10 feet away.

I am sure Laurel was 'happy' to get the pastel pink colored screen

These new screens are just as bad as Hoosier Park with the flashing lightning bolt and Delta Downs with its moving RED curtain backgrounds.

HATED IT!

Old 01-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #11
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Personally, I wish tracks had the good sense to innovate --

Why not stream track video in such a way that players are given a variety of clickable options?

For example, the ability to select a variety of track video graphics options on demand from a menu:

1. The current track video graphics we are all used to seeing.

2. Track video with graphics displaying pool totals and odds.

3. Track video with graphics displaying win pool odds.
a. And where available track video with graphics displaying the latest available win odds on the exchange.
4. Track video with graphics displaying exacta probables.

5. Track video with graphics displaying clickable options for multi-race wager will-pays:
a. double
b. pick3
c. pick4
d. pick5
e. pick6
6. Track video with NO graphics whatsoever.

Fyi, there ARE players like myself who just want to see the damn horses! Horses that are harder to see than they need to be because the stupid track graphics are taking up roughly two-thirds of the available screen real estate!

Why not take that last one a step further?

Why not devote drone cams to each runner?

Why not give the player the ability to click feeds that allow watching close ups of each of the individual runners in the paddock, during the post parade, during pre-race warmups, the gate load, and the running of the race?

From there, why not upload the drone cam footage to a server?

And make it available as an integral part of race replays?

The internet has been with us since (what?) 1991?

Is there a valid reason for refusing to innovate when it comes to streaming track signals?

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 01-22-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #12
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I've spent way too much time wondering what the "1/ST" in the lower left corner means.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #13
Michael

To be honest... I could care less.

That said, from a design stand point... it's a bit of a disaster. It just looks really antiquated... something along the lines of

"look at what my aunt suzy made on her dell"

LETS USE IT
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #14
Unbridled

I thought the prior Laurel screen was the best visually among all tracks. These current Stronach screens remind me somewhat of what Woodbine produces. Of all the colors with the redesigns, I find Santa Anita's screen to be the most amateurish. Still, while I don't dislike the overall graphics, I don't see them as an improvement from what was offered but I did get acclimated to them fairly quickly. Of the four, Laurel and Gulf are the two feeds I frequent most often. For Laurel, I would prefer to see a color change more so to the orange of the past than the pinkish theme currently in use.

One of the past I liked was Portland Meadows. It was basic but uncomplicated graphically. And that was a Stronach track.

Finally, one screen that I wish could undergo a color enhancement is Keeneland. One of the most important tracks in North America but the white-on-light brown at the bottom of the screen is difficult to see at times especially when the background is dirt.

I suppose each person has different options but up close on smaller TVs the graphics can be easier to dissect than say when TVs are placed on walls at a distance at some simulcast facilities.

Last edited by Unbridled; 01-27-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Unbridled is offline   Reply With Quote Reply