Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-14-2020, 05:20 AM   #1
NY BRED
GARY

Why Servis and Navarro deserve a lifetime sentence

There have been a multitude of postings on Maximum Security and his abilities compared to the legendary horses both now and in past years.
Those involved in racing are aware of how difficult it is to breed to win
any race in America, let alone to breed a champion.
While the advantage of owning a champion rests with wealthy owners,
sometimes the "dreamers" win. Think about Seattle Slew and California Chrome as an example, I'm sure there are many more that can be posted on this topic.

Here is the point; Gary and Mary West are heavily involved in philanthropic organizations,check their history on the net.I can't immediately point to other owners in the thoroughbred industry, but I would believe there are others follow the same path.

That said, picture yourself as the owner of Maximum Security, winner
of the Florida Derby, KY Derby(and DQ"D) Haskell and Saudi Cup.This last win,may be a DQ as well based upon the latest demand from the Saudis.

Importantly, we all know we could have claimed Maximum Security
for 16,000; I would believe Jason Servis convinced the West family
that is where the horse belonged.

The radar goes off: Was Servis already aware of his new drug at that point?My take is possibly, as his buddy Navarro trained at Monmouth, and sure, we can all debate that thought.

Regardless, MS, winner of the Florida Derby,KY Derby(and DQ"D),Haskell,and Saudi Cup, would have made a fantastic sire,and the West family would truly deserve that honor based on their contribution to society. Based upon facts presented to date, and still evolving, it is questionable if MS will go to stud duty,

The postings on this forum clearly reflects our frustration with racing, and more importantly, the supervision and protection afforded to the thoroughbreds, Jockeys and the public.
That said, my heart goes out to the West family , who succeeded beyond their wildest dreams and new are dealing with their worst nightmare.

Last edited by NY BRED; 03-14-2020 at 05:22 AM.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2020, 09:56 PM   #2
clicknow

IF we had centralized regulatory body, and all punishments for each misdeed was stanardized, (without being swept under the rug by local/state racing boards, etc. ) I would NOT have to make "moral" decisions or suggestions like this about how or if people should be punished, and/or what their punishment should be.

And that is as it should be. That way, I don't have to be "the jury" every time something wrong and dishonest goes down. It will already be taken care of, in a standardized way, by the proper authorities.

It also removes personal biases from the equation (like people who had Max Sec for the derby and lost their bet and are still mad about it, etc. and now hate the trainers who did move into that space of 1st and 2nd, etc.)

once you have regulatory oversight, if a misdeed results in a financial loss for anyone, then they can pursue the proper legal channels afterwards. As it is now, it's all a big mess.

It's the same reason we don't let the customers decide steward inquiries. Because if you have a bet in, then you have a bias.

Last edited by clicknow; 03-15-2020 at 10:01 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
NY BRED
GARY

Gary and Mary West

Any astute handicapper has witnessed significant improvements in pace and speed figures at any class level and at any track throughout the country.

In my case, I took the positive approach that improving form is
a result of great trainers , many of whom rely on their experience for many years to bring a thoroughbred to a race in peak condition.That said,I am quite aware of the various scandals that occurred in racing prior and after 1963,when I became a racing fan .

In addition, I would believe many of us presume the track(s) had ample ways of protecting the thoroughbred ,jockey and the public from criminal activities especially during the past few years when PETA pressured for the elimination of racing and/or creating more stringent drug testing to avoid cruelty to the thoroughbreds.

Generally, the Board members at each track are involved in racing as owners,fans etc....The question arises how these criminal activities continued until this latest undercover investigation which apparently began 3 1/2 years ago, and was revealed last week. In addition, this criminal activity continued,unchecked, placing horses and Jockeys as great risk.
That said, many of this on the board and public probably lost millions on tainted races .In addition, the public includes the owners and trainers who participated without illegal drugs,ie;honesltly.

The crazy,insane final point is many of us typed thousands of words and thoughts about thoroughbreds,Jockeys and trainers arguing their abilities
and supporting our thoughts with data, anecdotes etc, always believing the tracks had sophisticated means of detecting illegal medications, which clearly was never the case/

Bottom line, this is still a great sport, hopefully this game will improve
with total involvement by Big Brother. I can't envision racing continuing
without the FBI based upon the horrible information revealed last week.

Last edited by NY BRED; 03-16-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED View Post
That said, my heart goes out to the West family , who succeeded beyond their wildest dreams and new are dealing with their worst nightmare.
I'm sure they didn't suspect a thing.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

I can't read this, but they obviously abused the privilege of juicing, and went to an inappropriately extreme extent, even in a sport that passively accepts juicing and fosters anarchy.

lifetime ban deserved
Old 03-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Lifetime for the two trainers, and SEVERE for ALL owenrs whose horses were doped.
Not knowing is no excuse - ZERO tolerance.
BAN the whole barn.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Smile the doom that came to gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Lifetime for the two trainers, and SEVERE for ALL owenrs whose horses were doped.
Not knowing is no excuse - ZERO tolerance.
BAN the whole barn.
It's like hiring The Joker, being shocked, so now you are saddened and shocked and move your operation to The Penguin...
Old 03-16-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
I can't read this, but they obviously abused the privilege of juicing, and went to an inappropriately extreme extent, even in a sport that passively accepts juicing and fosters anarchy.

lifetime ban deserved
Ironically enough, the very horsemen victimized by cheaters will strongly oppose draconian penalties becoming law. Mark my words.

Sure. They will call for Servis to be castrated and flogged. But beyond that will close ranks and revert to their classic, self-defeating, nonsensical "us vs the world" mentality.

Horsemen always want it both ways.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 05:32 AM   #9
NY BRED
GARY

Red face Servis-Navarro and Covid -19 to the rescue??

Blood Horse report:

" indicted trainers Jason Servis and Jorge Navarro appear before a federal court for arraignment and initial conference March 23, it could be by telephone conference in a concession to travel difficulties because of COVID-19."

seriously, if you saw this movie" on television or in the movies you
you might chuckle or simply leave the theatre. or switch channels.

Frankly, I recommend we place these jerks in a room filled with Covid-19
for a one month vacation for their criminal activities.,then place them on video as a lesson
to anyone involved with thoroughbreds racing.
By the way, why aren't they in Jail?

Last edited by NY BRED; 03-17-2020 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:50 AM   #10
Afleet

Quote:
Blood Horse report:

" indicted trainers Jason Servis and Jorge Navarro appear before a federal court for arraignment and initial conference March 23, it could be by telephone conference in a concession to travel difficulties because of COVID-19."

for a one month vacation for their criminal activities.,then place them on video as a lesson
I read they were arrested and posted bail
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
NTamm1215

Quote:
Blood Horse report:

You need to calm down.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #12
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
You need to calm down.
You're WAY too nice.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Come on, please stop starting a new thread every time some wild thought about this situation crosses your mind. Just combine them all into one. Thanks in advance.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #14
castaway01

Quote:
Blood Horse report:

You realize your second paragraph says that current events are too absurd for words and no one would believe them if it was a movie, and your third paragraph advocates exposing Servis and Navarro to a potentially deadly virus and then televising it for everyone to watch, which of course isn't absurd or anything. Not to mention you already raised the people who hired and paid these trainers (who should be killed) to the level of sainthood.

No, of course you don't.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #15
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Ironically enough, the very horsemen victimized by cheaters will strongly oppose draconian penalties becoming law. Mark my words.

Sure. They will call for Servis to be castrated and flogged. But beyond that will close ranks and revert to their classic, self-defeating, nonsensical "us vs the world" mentality.

Horsemen always want it both ways.
100% accurate.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply