Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Antonio Arriaga

As a trainer he was 5 for 116 lifetime coming into the Saratoga meet.

He's now 3 for 3 at the meet and each winner looked like they could have gone around again if needed.

Tough game when this happens at the premier meet in the country
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Maybe he's got Maria Borell helping him from the shadows?
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
alhattab

DaHoss did you happen to handicap any of the races Arriaga won? I looked at the race today- 2 back the horse ran 2d for $25k while Andrew Lakeman was trainer and was coming off a win for $16k. The horse yesterday was in form coming off a big win for restricted claimers, but had shown ability to go long last year and was a popular horse at the claim box. I'm not familiar with his first Spa winner. These aren't exactly remarkable form reversals by any stretch.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Conversely, poor John Kimmel, a solid veteran NY trainer, can't buy a win...has a bomb on the lead in midstretch in R3 and gets run down by the Super Stable
Old 09-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab
DaHoss did you happen to handicap any of the races Arriaga won? I looked at the race today- 2 back the horse ran 2d for $25k while Andrew Lakeman was trainer and was coming off a win for $16k. The horse yesterday was in form coming off a big win for restricted claimers, but had shown ability to go long last year and was a popular horse at the claim box. I'm not familiar with his first Spa winner. These aren't exactly remarkable form reversals by any stretch.
Of course I handicapped the races.

Mastic was claimed 3 back for 12.5 off Michelle Nevin. Missed by a neck for 25k for Lakeman first off the claim and then has now won for 16k and 25k, te breaking mid stretch in each win.

It's VERY hard to claim off Michelle Nevin and improve the horse. His other winner was claimed off Rudy Rod. Also not easy to improve off of. But this lifetime 4% trainer has done it at Saratoga no less.

Impressive
Old 09-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab
Bingo....Andrew Lakeman was paralyzed in a horrible track accident and I wish him only the best. But horses that have left his barn to be trained by others have at times shown improvement.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
Dahoss9698
Veteran

You guys are right.

A 4% lifetime trainer goes 3 for 3 at Saratoga improving off of Rudy and Michelle Nevin but nothing to see here. Why do I even bother?

Old 09-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Well, someone has to bet against these guys, we can't all be clever at the same time, now can we?
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #9
bello
Veteran

Well obviously you guys lost, and I never come here and brag. I gave you a tidbit of information that has been valuable for me.

EVERYTHING IN HORSE RACING IS INCREMENTAL AND SUBTLE.

Sorry you guys lost on an absolutely obvious winner and when one starts a thread I figure they are looking for input.

Sorry I bothered.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
As a trainer he was 5 for 116 lifetime coming into the Saratoga meet.

He's now 3 for 3 at the meet and each winner looked like they could have gone around again if needed.

Tough game when this happens at the premier meet in the country
An aberration, nothing but plain ol' variance, Dahoss...Arriaga will proceed to go 2 for 113, from this point forward, if he should live that long...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #11
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Same guy?

"Arriaga wins first race

Jockey Antonio Arriaga's first career win was several years in the making.

Arriaga, a 31-year-old native of Mexico, won his first race Thursday when he guided Amongooseamongus ($16.40) to a 3 1/2-length victory in the second race. It came on Arriaga's third career mount and nearly four years after he rode his previous two.

Arriaga rode the horse for his wife, trainer Jacqueline Oleanik.

In order to ride, Arriaga had to get permission from the state to waive his status as an apprentice rider. Arriaga, who weighs 117 pounds, could not do the weight to be considered an apprentice.

Arriaga, who works as an exercise rider for Richard Dutrow Jr. in the mornings and as a NYRA parking attendant in the afternoons, said he hopes to pick up mounts on a regular basis."

http://www.drf.com/news/sciacca-returns-track-winner
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Same guy?

"Arriaga wins first race

Jockey Antonio Arriaga's first career win was several years in the making.

Arriaga, a 31-year-old native of Mexico, won his first race Thursday when he guided Amongooseamongus ($16.40) to a 3 1/2-length victory in the second race. It came on Arriaga's third career mount and nearly four years after he rode his previous two.

Arriaga rode the horse for his wife, trainer Jacqueline Oleanik.

In order to ride, Arriaga had to get permission from the state to waive his status as an apprentice rider. Arriaga, who weighs 117 pounds, could not do the weight to be considered an apprentice.

Arriaga, who works as an exercise rider for Richard Dutrow Jr. in the mornings and as a NYRA parking attendant in the afternoons, said he hopes to pick up mounts on a regular basis."

http://www.drf.com/news/sciacca-returns-track-winner
Nice find from 2008, Mike. Looks like maybe Dutrow has re-established his mentorship and MORE, with the young lad....
Old 09-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #13
johnhannibalsmith

In other words, just like Rudy Rod and Nevin.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #14
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
In other words, just like Rudy Rod and Nevin.
Don't post with your mouth full of Mama Celeste...

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 09-01-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #15
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello
Well obviously you guys lost, and I never come here and brag. I gave you a tidbit of information that has been valuable for me.

EVERYTHING IN HORSE RACING IS INCREMENTAL AND SUBTLE.

Sorry you guys lost on an absolutely obvious winner and when one starts a thread I figure they are looking for input.

Sorry I bothered.
You made the point that horses leaving Lakeman's barn have improved, but that wasn't DH's point. And it's possible that DH's point is the reason your horse won, not your own theory.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply