Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #211
Stillriledup
Veteran

Martin and Coburn will go down as probably the biggest buffoons in the history of the game. Once this horse got good they put themselves first. They didnt put the horse first.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #212
Rex Phinney

Call me crazy but I have long thought that the best thing todo is initially stand him in California. I think alot of owners out here would send their mares to him, he could be the biggest fish in a small pond instead of trying to compete with the big stud farms and stud names in Kentucky.

They aren't going to get paid much different standing him in California than they would in Kentucky anyway.Maybe actually give back to the game and the folks at Harris Farms who have done so much for them.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #213
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
Call me crazy but I have long thought that the best thing todo is initially stand him in California. I think alot of owners out here would send their mares to him, he could be the biggest fish in a small pond instead of trying to compete with the big stud farms and stud names in Kentucky.

They aren't going to get paid much different standing him in California than they would in Kentucky anyway.Maybe actually give back to the game and the folks at Harris Farms who have done so much for them.
I don't know about that. Maybe there are cases I don't know about, but when a stallion is worth $1m or more, it's the KY farms who have the cash and resources to come up with that. The farms in other states usually can only offer much smaller amounts or other creative deals (like standing the horse for them for a percentage of the horse, etc.).
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #214
nads1420
Veteran

was really looking forward to the BCC Chrome vs Pharoah... Never get to see 2 Derby winners face each other...
nads1420 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #215
SuperPickle

In theory it totally makes sense for them to stand him in CA but here's the issue. No CA farm is going to write them a big check for him because the state of CA racing is so unpredictable. You need a lot of stability to have a strong breeding program. Only three stallions in CA stand for more than $10K and one of them is his sire.

No one can stand a horse for any real money outside of Kentucky. I think Not For Love stood for $25,000 at his peak in Maryland and that's probably the most expensive stud fee ever recorded in the U.S. outside of Kentucky.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #216
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
In theory it totally makes sense for them to stand him in CA but here's the issue. No CA farm is going to write them a big check for him because the state of CA racing is so unpredictable. You need a lot of stability to have a strong breeding program. Only three stallions in CA stand for more than $10K and one of them is his sire.

No one can stand a horse for any real money outside of Kentucky. I think Not For Love stood for $25,000 at his peak in Maryland and that's probably the most expensive stud fee ever recorded in the U.S. outside of Kentucky.
Just thought it ironic to note that the most expensive stallion in history never stood in KY but first in Canada and then in Maryland - Northern Dancer.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #217
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Breeding season doesn't begin for awhile still. If he can recover from his injury 100%, is able to cover(obviously), and if they can syndicate him for a decent price, then he could possibly stand in Kentucky. But, I don't see him commanding a huge fee here, imo.

You never know, though. Since Calumet has started gearing their breeding operations around successful TC performers, he could possibly end up down the road from me.

Just a thought.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #218
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Just read that Main Sequence was retired today from an injury also.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #219
chadk66

=
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
But isn't the right route to actually race?
you of all people know you don't race a horse with physical ailments.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #220
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
=you of all people know you don't race a horse with physical ailments.
That's not what I'm saying or suggesting.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #221
nads1420
Veteran

Would they save face if they ran him at 5? .... in america.. maybe another shot at dubai...
nads1420 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #222
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
That's not what I'm saying or suggesting.
you said the right route was to race him. They have tried to race him since DWC and he has not been sound. Look, these guys are not different than 95% of the owners in the country. Have no clue and never listen to the trainer. They own the horse they can do whatever they want. Whether it's right or wrong. Only they will suffer from piss poor decisions. I went round and round that merry go round for far too long.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #223
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
you said the right route was to race him. They have tried to race him since DWC and he has not been sound. Look, these guys are not different than 95% of the owners in the country. Have no clue and never listen to the trainer. They own the horse they can do whatever they want. Whether it's right or wrong. Only they will suffer from piss poor decisions. I went round and round that merry go round for far too long.
Sorry for the confusion, i didnt mean they should race the horse unsound or as is thats why i didnt type "the horse" after the word race. Poor wording on my part. I meant that my opinion is that the first and foremost thing should to be to keep the horse in fine fettle so that you CAN race, i didnt think they put themselves in the best possible position to do that, they tried a risky plan that backfired.

As far as them being able to do whatever they want, youre right in the spirit of the law, its not illegal to be stupid with your investments, its not good for the game though. Guys get lucky and get a good horse and all of a sudden they become experts in how to manage a champion. Too bad for the horse these People got their hands on them, they risked this horses health and well being, i could never defend that.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #224
RacingFan1992

Quote:
=you of all people know you don't race a horse with physical ailments.
Two Lea. Ring Bone.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #225
theiman

Just curious was Arcangues mismanaged when he came to the USA to run in the 1993 BCC? What were the French saying about Andre Fabre and Daniel Wildenstein for sending there horse to run, on dirt, against the best dirt horses in the world. I mean he went off at 133/1, he had no chance. Was he doing it to get a better stud fee down the road? He was sold to Japanese interests at the end of his career and stood stud in Japan.

So were these both bad moves by Wildenstein and the DAP? Or do sometimes taking what appears to be a difficult risk pay out?

Wonder what would have happened if Christopher Columbus decided to not sail off from Spain. After all most told him him he was going to fall off the "Flat" earth.
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply