Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
We can talk all we want about the intellectual returns gained by horseplayers compared to other forms of gambling and there might be a small amount of truth therein. It will never make up for all of the time that I wasted on Tuesday-night trips to the liquor store and waiting around for Wednesdays' form's to come in so that I could begin another week of being treated like a 2nd-class citizen at my local racetracks.
That was very well said and when a track has a level of customer service which leads to the feeling of being treated like a second class citizen, it permeates through everything and impacts the experience of all customers from the most casual fan to the most diehard horseplayer. Attention to details and the little things (or lack thereof) starts at the top and trickles down through the institution.

Last edited by miesque; 05-05-2009 at 11:00 AM.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

Suffolk does a very good job getting "new" fans to the track via "The Hot Dog Safari" & The MassCap every year. I've been trying for a few years to convince Suffolk to have a few "Micro-Brew" Festivals with live music, connecting them with events that cater to the +21 crowd that isn't looking for $1 draft beers.
Another missed opportunity for Suffolk..the Mass. betting Age is 18; with all the Colleges in the area, Suffolk should aggressively be making the track a place for that "tweener crowd" between 18 & 21; adults legally unable to go to bars, hang out & see bands... With Subway service to the track, cheap admission, etc.. Suffolk could be a place to develop a younger fan base.
[/url]

Last edited by BombsAway Bob; 05-05-2009 at 11:36 AM.
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #18
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombsAway Bob
Suffolk does a very good job getting "new" fans to the track via "The Hot Dog Safari" & The MassCap every year. I've been trying for a few years to convince Suffolk to have a few "Micro-Brew" Festivals with live music, connecting them with events that cater to the +21 crowd that isn't looking for $1 draft beers.
Another missed opportunity for Suffolk..the Mass. betting Age is 18; with all the Colleges in the area, Suffolk should aggressively be making the track a place for that "tweener crowd" between 18 & 21; adults legally unable to go to bars, hang out & see bands... With Subway service to the track, cheap admission, etc.. Suffolk could be a place to develop a younger fan base.
Colonial Downs has a Rhythm Bets & Brews fest with several local microbrews on Colonial Turf Cup Day that seems to work pretty well getting a younger crowd out. On Virginia Derby Day they have a PartyZone for the segment of the market. On both of those days attendance is pretty solid and its a nice, friendly environment.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
DeanT

Last year at the standardbred portion of the gaming summit a group was set up to do this for harness racing. They came up with Adrenaline. It is targeting the under 30 demo, pure fan demo of course as you or I would want to handicap the races, while these folks are not so inclined at first blush. I think they did a good job. Here is there promo on youtube; take a look at they made a good commercial. Looks like fun if I was ten years younger

[YT=""]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hTMe97YIteQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54 abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hTMe97YIteQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54 abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/YT]
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #20
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

they should have quarter horses or mules run drag race-like duels in between the real races, you could easily fit two of them in between the end of one race and the call to post of the next. Not for simulcast, but you could open up pools on track for it I guess, maybe with a few special machines to handle it. Get some rapid fire auctioneer-like guy with a booming voice to call each duel as if it was the most dramatic event that has ever occured.

That would make a day at the track a little livelier.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #21
Bubba X
Veteran

If you want to get new bettors -- say, 25 to 30 year old males -- to come to the track, it is very simple to do.

Do whatever you need to do to get 20 to 30 year old women to go to the track.

Free admission for women
Music
Free betting voucher for women
2 for1 booze for women
Free / cheap food for women
Friday night racing

Arlington does some of this on Fridays in the summer.

Do this and people will come. People will most definitely come.
Bubba X is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #22
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba X
If you want to get new bettors -- say, 25 to 30 year old males -- to come to the track, it is very simple to do.

Free admission for women
Music
2 for1 booze for women
Friday night racing

Do this and people will come. People will most definitely
come.

As a single woman in her mid-thirties, I got a better idea, how about making it a more palatable place for women in general, starting with places like the bathrooms (and no I am not joking). How about not walking through a cloud of chain smokers some of whom look like they haven't showered and shaved in days? Attacting women to an establishment is a two way street, free booze alone ain't going to do it.

Last edited by miesque; 05-05-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #23
Bubba X
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
As a 37 year old woman, I got a better idea, how about making it a more palatable place for women in general, starting with places like the bathrooms (and no I am not joking). How about not walking through a cloud of chain smokers some of whom look like they haven't showered and shaved in days?
Good points and all but sorry, you're not in the target demographic. And I shower once a week, whether I need to or not.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #24
miesque

Quote:
Good points and all but sorry, you're not in the target demographic. And I shower once a week, whether I need to or not.
Thats ok, I may not be in your target demographic, but I am a single professional with disposal income and don't worry there isn't exactly an overabundance of my demographic at the track.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #25
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
How about not walking through a cloud of chain smokers some of whom look like they haven't showered and shaved in days?
And at some tracks those are just the women!
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
And at some tracks those are just the women!
They may well because I am usually travelling through those areas at a good clip while trying not to knock anyone over accidentally as I come charging through, I am not there on a sightseeing expedition.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #27
miesque

By the way, I have to thanks Suffolk Downs Fan for starting this thread, it has turned out to be somewhat therapeutic for me.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #28
Grits

Bubba X, as you well know, the visionary, Frank Stronach tried this business model, complete with music, 2 for 1s, beaches, grass huts, and all. As you know too, Frank's belly up.

There is one thing, and one thing only in this life that is FREE--and considered by all--FUN. And of course, sweetheart, it ain't racing. It never will be. Its held its place, firmly, at the top of cheap entertainment for centuries.

Free at the track has no appeal. It will not create new horseracing fans, I don't believe.

Quote:

Free admission for women
Music
2 for1 booze for women
Friday night racing

Do this and people will come. People will most definitely come.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #29
Bubba X
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Bubba X, as you well know, the visionary, Frank Stronach tried this business model, complete with music, 2 for 1s, beaches, grass huts, and all. As you know too, Frank's belly up.

There is one thing, and one thing only in this life that is FREE--and considered by all--FUN. And of course, sweetheart, it ain't racing. It never will be. Its held its place, firmly, at the top of cheap entertainment for centuries.

Free at the track has no appeal. It will not create new horseracing fans, I don't believe.
You are holding out for the 3 for 1 drinks?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #30
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits

You are right. It has been free admission in Ontario for quite a while and the crowds get smaller and older every year.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: