Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you calculate ROI
ROI = (revenue – cost) / (cost) 41 65.08%
ROI = (revenue) / (cost) 18 28.57%
Alternate method 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. This poll is closed

Old 01-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #31
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
ROI means "Return On Investment". If you bet $1000 then that is your "investment". If you are returned $1200, that is your "return". Your profit is $200 ($1200 -$1000 = $200)

ROI formula is Return/Investment ($1200/$1000 = 1.20 or a 20% profit on every dollar bet) (a 1.00 ROI is break even, no profit and no loss).

How much simpler could it be?
IMO simpler when it's given as a positive or negative percentage as it should be because there's no way to misinterpret it. I have never seen anyone but handicappers show a positive number like .50 and intended it to represent a negative number 50% loss. I know what you mean by it and most people on the board do from reading Mitchell, Quinn and even Quirin who goes even more into the weeds with his $2.00 net but the rest of the world doesn't.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/...investment.asp
Old 01-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #32
classhandicapper

I use (Total Return - Total Bet)/Total Bet

That gives me a % +/-
Old 01-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #33
Chaka26

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
If one is talking about return on "initial" investment, then you're talking about something totally different. You would be talking about "growth" or "gain", of initial bankroll, not ROI.

I had that discussion way back in 2004, I think, after I turned a $400 bankroll into over a $7700 bankroll in 2 months time, without depositing any further amounts into the bankroll.
I tried explaining that to wunderdog.com sports tout he was misleading people saying his bankroll growth was roi because while he might have started with a 10k bankroll thats now23k or whatever, its not roi because he didnt just bet 10k he bet 110$ or 220$ hundreds of times a year for several years

Appears he finally changed his ad image to "bankroll growth" vs "roi"
Chaka26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2017, 03:36 AM   #34
speculus
Zapoorzaa!!!

Like "class" in a horse and "creativity" in advertising, the "ROI" is the most misunderstood concept when it comes to calculating horse racing profits.

And the trouble is it has almost become a norm that one must refer to the term ROI when discussing returns, never mind the fact everyone else may have some different notion in head as to what it really means, or should mean.

The most glaring flaw--and strangely, never discussed among horse players--with the concept of ROI is this: the term ROI comes from the financial world where there is never any dispute about the term and its meaning. But when we borrow it from them, we simply forget that there is a "time" element involved in their understanding of the term. When an investment gives you 20 percent returns on investment (ROI), it means it does so over a period of "ONE YEAR."

In horse racing our returns, if we wish, can be calculated on the basis of per race, per track, or per day or per week or per month. Only when we keep accounting records for a whole year, we may be truthfully reporting ROI as profits divided by Bankroll (that was set aside exclusively for the purpose).

Talking about ROI for any period other than a year is meaningless.

Racing could possible do with the concept of "profits on set-aside bankroll" or "profits on (maximum risked) part of bankroll", and that will make more sense.

www.DynamicHandicapping.com/
speculus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 AM   #35
steveb

or just plain P, you can't spend roi.
roi is a nonsense metric however you decide to calculate.
the only thing that matters is Profit

i can claim 33% long term, but my most successful years were much much less than .33, but with a far higher turnover (and very much less selective), and much much more money in my pocket.
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #36
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculus View Post
Like "class" in a horse and "creativity" in advertising, the "ROI" is the most misunderstood concept when it comes to calculating horse racing profits.

And the trouble is it has almost become a norm that one must refer to the term ROI when discussing returns, never mind the fact everyone else may have some different notion in head as to what it really means, or should mean.

The most glaring flaw--and strangely, never discussed among horse players--with the concept of ROI is this: the term ROI comes from the financial world where there is never any dispute about the term and its meaning. But when we borrow it from them, we simply forget that there is a "time" element involved in their understanding of the term. When an investment gives you 20 percent returns on investment (ROI), it means it does so over a period of "ONE YEAR."

In horse racing our returns, if we wish, can be calculated on the basis of per race, per track, or per day or per week or per month. Only when we keep accounting records for a whole year, we may be truthfully reporting ROI as profits divided by Bankroll (that was set aside exclusively for the purpose).

Talking about ROI for any period other than a year is meaningless.

Racing could possible do with the concept of "profits on set-aside bankroll" or "profits on (maximum risked) part of bankroll", and that will make more sense.
Very good explanation of ROI and its application

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #37
2low

This thread got way too long.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/...investment.asp
2low is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #38
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
or just plain P, you can't spend roi.
roi is a nonsense metric however you decide to calculate.
the only thing that matters is Profit

i can claim 33% long term, but my most successful years were much much less than .33, but with a far higher turnover (and very much less selective), and much much more money in my pocket.
Absolutely Correct!
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #39
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I guess corporate America has it all wrong.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #40
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Anyone that wants a free Roi/Bankroll calculator--you can grab one off my website. It keeps a running tally of your bankroll and avg mutual/win% as well....

https://app.site123.com/order-here/b...i-calc?w=79684

https://app.site123.com/order-here/b...i-calc?w=79684

If it doesn't work (this site's a crapshoot anyway) --shoot me an email and I'll send you one ASAP

NorCalGreg@Pace-View.Com

-NCG

Last edited by NorCalGreg; 06-13-2018 at 07:05 AM.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #41
Franco Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
never mind which formula is right.....just get some more $32 horses

Thanks for the laugh! HERE HERE!!!
Franco Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2019, 08:34 PM   #42
flatstats

In the UK the ROI is indeed simply the Return On Investment.

If your method has 85 bets, and you netted a profit of £125 after staking a total of £597 then your ROI = 125 / 597 * 100% = 20.9%.

For those 85 bets you may have wagered £5 on the first, £12 on the second, £9 on the third.

The key figure is the total stake on all those 85 bets - in this example £597 total wagered.

The ROI is flawed in itself. You can have 84 bets that return an ROI of -2%, but then the 85th bet has a 20/1 winner and that changes the ROI to +24% would you put your life savings on that method? I mean it does have a 24% ROI doesn't it?

---

One more point: Punters who lay on the exchanges make a fatal flaw in totalling up their lay bet as a unit figure and not as the total risk. So if you see a method that has 30, 40, 100% for laying it's calculated incorrectly. Laying methods tend to only have 3, 4, 10% ROIs.

Last edited by flatstats; 03-01-2019 at 08:35 PM.
flatstats is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #43
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatstats View Post
In the UK the ROI is indeed simply the Return On Investment.

If your method has 85 bets, and you netted a profit of £125 after staking a total of £597 then your ROI = 125 / 597 * 100% = 20.9%.

For those 85 bets you may have wagered £5 on the first, £12 on the second, £9 on the third.

The key figure is the total stake on all those 85 bets - in this example £597 total wagered.

The ROI is flawed in itself. You can have 84 bets that return an ROI of -2%, but then the 85th bet has a 20/1 winner and that changes the ROI to +24% would you put your life savings on that method? I mean it does have a 24% ROI doesn't it?

---

One more point: Punters who lay on the exchanges make a fatal flaw in totalling up their lay bet as a unit figure and not as the total risk. So if you see a method that has 30, 40, 100% for laying it's calculated incorrectly. Laying methods tend to only have 3, 4, 10% ROIs.
The answer to your question isn't as obvious as it seems. What if the 84 prior bets included 20 lost photo finishes and 5 losses due to disqualifications?
Old 03-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #44
flatstats

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The answer to your question isn't as obvious as it seems. What if the 84 prior bets included 20 lost photo finishes and 5 losses due to disqualifications?
The answer to your question of a question isn't as obvious as it seems either.

What if the 84 prior bets included 20 *won* photo finishes and 5 *wins* due to disqualifications of other runners in the race?

That's a totally different subject about racing swings and roundabouts: these things can go for you as much as against you. They tend to balance out in the long run.

IMO the ROI is flawed because one big winner can turn a negative into a positive. If you do want to go down that route then you should be checking for sample sizes, and for price biases to try and find out if any big priced winners were just due to luck.
flatstats is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #45
zerosky

I switched to using the deposit and withdrawal figures to calculate ROI.
Money kept in ADW's or online wagering accounts is counted as 'working capital' and not part of the calculation.

For a quarterly period:

Total withdrawals from betting accounts less Total deposits into accounts = Profit (loss)

ROI = Profit divided by total deposits
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: