Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #151
Marshall Bennett

Week 12

Lions +3
Seahawks +3.5
Broncos +3.5
Texans -6

Last week : 1-2
Year : 16-11
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #152
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

I'm confused.

Why were the poor field conditions allowed to occur in Mexico? There has to be reason.

Let's suppose the game was played in Mexico City, would that look good for the NFL, considering the invading force and all? Wouldn't it be better to move it to LA, the scene of a wildfire?

Just asking.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #153
Marshall Bennett

The LA coliseum has always had bad field conditions.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #154
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I'm confused.

Why were the poor field conditions allowed to occur in Mexico? There has to be reason.

Let's suppose the game was played in Mexico City, would that look good for the NFL, considering the invading force and all? Wouldn't it be better to move it to LA, the scene of a wildfire?

Just asking.
How about greed and incompetence? The NFL was ignorant to not check up on the field until 6 days before the game, and foolish for not telling Azteca Stadium officials that no events could be held there for a month before the game. So the Shakira concert destroys much of the turf on October 11, yet Azteca allowed several soccer games to take place in the interim.

As for the wild fire, the REAL wildfire is 400 miles north of L.A.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #155
pandy

More Bad Time Clock Managing

It amazes me how many times you see teams make poor time management decisions in the NFL. Last night I needed the Vikings to win outright to win a money line parlay, and I needed them to cover to win a teaser. I won both bets but they put the game in jeopardy with bad clock management.

With 5:30 left and a ten point lead, they recovered a botched fumble on the Packer's twenty yard line. Easy play calling, you run three times and if you don't get a first down, you kick a field goal. The Packers had already used two time outs. But instead, on second down, Cousins tries throws an incomplete pass, which stops the clock, then he drops back to pass again, but scrambles, and now it's 4th and 2, and instead of kicking an easy field goal to go up 13 points, they throw another incomplete pass and give the ball back to the Packers and the great Aaron Rogers.

The Packers, of course, march down the field quickly and score a field goal, then try an onside kick. If they had recovered the onside kick, they could have tied the game!

If the Vikings had simply run three plays and then kicked a field goal, they have a 13 point lead instead of 10, take another minute and a half off the clock and force the Packers to score two TDs with less than four minutes left in the game. Instead, they gave the Packers more time, and took three easy points off the scoreboard. Sometimes you wonder how coaches that make so much money can make such terrible decisions.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 11:53 PM   #156
Bogo

This will go against popular thought but here is my take. Doug Pederson had everything go his way last year. Every decision he made turned to gold. Now every coach in the league seems to think always being aggressive is the correct decision. There is a time and place for going for it. Analytics can not put a number on what happens emotionally to teams when a team does or does not convert on 4th down. Put that together with coaches calling plays that are much worse than Pederson and you have some disasters that have happened and will continue to happen. The Tennessee coach giving the ball to a guy that hardly ever runs when he has a powerful back and an elusive option quarterback turned the whole game around on Monday night. Carolina is afraid to go into overtime with Detroit. Why? They have the better team. By the way, I completely agree with you on the Minnesota situation. The list goes on and on.

Last edited by Bogo; 11-27-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Bogo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #157
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Thursday Night Football is upon us again and this time the New Orleans Saints will travel to Dallas to take on the Cowpokes.Current numbers as I write this are New Orleans favored by 7 1//2 with an over/ under of 51 1/2 .The Saints have been the NFL's version of Sherman's march through Georgia this season.My first thought is that no team can do this week after week but the Cowboys have also been playing well as of late so it's a question of which team is more likely to underachieve.I'll take the Saints to win as Dallas is having some banged up players on the OL which is their strength but am struggling with the total.The under has not been kind to me this year but I note that the o/u has dropped three points from the open which smells like the whales are looking at a lower than expected number.That gets my contrarian hackles rising so I will harpoon the whales and take the over.If Dallas can't control the ball and keep Brees and company off the field, this could turn ugly quickly.

YTD. 11-9-2 (Win 4-5-2, O/U 7-4)

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #158
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Thursday Night Football is upon us again and this time the New Orleans Saints will travel to Dallas to take on the Cowpokes.Current numbers as I write this are New Orleans favored by 7 1//2 with an over/ under of 51 1/2 .The Saints have been the NFL's version of Sherman's march through Georgia this season.My first thought is that no team can do this week after week but the Cowboys have also been playing well as of late so it's a question of which team is more likely to underachieve.I'll take the Saints to win as Dallas is having some banged up players on the OL which is their strength but am struggling with the total.The under has not been kind to me this year but I note that the o/u has dropped three points from the open which smells like the whales are looking at a lower than expected number.That gets my contrarian hackles rising so I will harpoon the whales and take the over.If Dallas can't control the ball and keep Brees and company off the field, this could turn ugly quickly.

YTD. 11-9-2 (Win 4-5-2, O/U 7-4)
Big surprise the Saints could only put up 10 points.Lost both ends.Egad, my skills are slipping.

YTD. 11-11-2 (WIN 4-6-2, O/U 7-5)

Old 12-01-2018, 01:00 AM   #159
Valuist

No more Kareem Hunt with the Chiefs.

What was the Cleveland PD thinking by not charging him?
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2018, 07:03 AM   #160
Marshall Bennett

Week 13

Chargers +3.5
Tampa Bay +3.5
Jets +8
Redskins +6.5

Last week : 3-1
Year : 19-12
Old 12-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #161
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Big surprise the Saints could only put up 10 points.Lost both ends.Egad, my skills are slipping.

YTD. 11-11-2 (WIN 4-6-2, O/U 7-5)
As was discussed in the LSU college thread...the refs/nfl HOSED the Saints...3 pretty obvious calls & a non-called really helped the "Boys"...

Had no wager on this game...but just an observation...plenty of replays floating around on...if one wants to see them...
Old 12-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #162
barahona44

Sunday, Week 13

Jaguars (+4) over the Colts. People need to slow their roll on the Colts.They're a young team who should be a top tier team in the next few years but this year they will be up and down as all young teams are. Jax still has a good defense but no Leonard Frenette,suspended for on field brawling, hurts.

Panthers (-3) over the Bucaneers.Since the Steelers pummeled them last month,Carolina has been reeling.Today ,they right the ship.

Patriots (-5) over the Vikings.Line started at 7 1/2 but once again wishful thinking on the part of the Brady & Bellichik hatahs drove the line down to 5.You'd think they would have learned by now

Sunday YTD. 16-13.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #163
lamboguy

i just noticed that the Texans are 5 1/2 favorite over the Browns.

the Texans look like they are playing the best football in the whole NFL, if they show up today they should win by many.

the Texans are my pick to go all the way now.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #164
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i just noticed that the Texans are 5 1/2 favorite over the Browns.

the Texans look like they are playing the best football in the whole NFL, if they show up today they should win by many.

the Texans are my pick to go all the way now.
As of now they would have a tough road. As the 3rd seed if form holds and they win the wild card game Next out in New England then most likely in KC.
Then again if form holds Saints or Rams in a dome .A great accomplishment if they can pull it off.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #165
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
As of now they would have a tough road. As the 3rd seed if form holds and they win the wild card game Next out in New England then most likely in KC.
Then again if form holds Saints or Rams in a dome .A great accomplishment if they can pull it off.
they don't win games 53-50 and they are playing great together now. lets see how they finish off the season and make your assessments and lay the chips down. for right now i like them a lot.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply