Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:36 AM   #31
formula_2002
what an easy game.

How is the required data loaded into the excel program for execution?

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2023, 12:44 PM   #32
cloud9

You have to load the Excel program an know how to use it to run the software .
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2023, 03:51 PM   #33
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
You have to load the Excel program an know how to use it to run the software .
Ok. But where does today's racing data come from?. Do I buy a daily racing form and key it in or use something like bris available data and down load from bris .

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
Old 07-07-2023, 08:21 PM   #34
gfnut

Bris data
gfnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2023, 09:07 PM   #35
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfnut View Post
Bris data
THANKS.

Winston Churchill
Old 07-10-2023, 10:12 PM   #36
Running Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfnut View Post
Bris data
Does it import the Bris Data file for you by just selecting it from a folder you've downloaded the Bris file to and then loads it into the Excel program automatically?
Running Amok is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2023, 11:09 PM   #37
Running Amok

EDIT:

Disregard my question about the Bris data file. I read the FAQ section and it answered my question.

I actually built my own Excel spreadsheet that does basically the same thing as Pro-Handicap Wizard. If you know you're way around Excel it's not hard.

I will say my spreadsheet is not quite as fancy but it does make similar computations from the same Bris ratings and it does pretty well at picking overlays.

One thing it doesn't do though is import Bris data into the program. I've tried to figure that out and its above my level of expertise in Excel. So I have to enter the data manually which takes me less than 5 minutes.

Here's a screen capture of my program of the 8th race at Belmont yesterday. The horses (2 and 8) are highlighted as overlays at a minimum 5% edge or greater which is calculated in column V

The columns L - O show the horses that ranked in the top of each category and columns Q and R is kind of a consensus which ranks the horses that show up at least two of the 4 categories.

10 horse appears in all 4 so it was Ranked 1 and the 8 shows up 3 times so it was ranked 2, and so on.

My Odds Line.JPG

Belmont 8th race.JPG

Last edited by Running Amok; 07-10-2023 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2023, 11:12 PM   #38
gfnut

Yes. Download file/unzip/put in track folder/then double click on prompt.
gfnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2023, 10:35 AM   #39
Running Amok

For anyone using Pro-Handicap Wizard, does my spreadsheet look like it produces similar results?

It would be interesting to see how Pro-Handicap Wizard had the 8th race at Belmont on 7/9/23.

However it was turf race and Pro-Handicap Wizard looks like it doesn't do turf races unless you purchase the separate turf program
Old 07-11-2023, 10:47 AM   #40
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Amok View Post
For anyone using Pro-Handicap Wizard, does my spreadsheet look like it produces similar results?

It would be interesting to see how Pro-Handicap Wizard had the 8th race at Belmont on 7/9/23.

However it was turf race and Pro-Handicap Wizard looks like it doesn't do turf races unless you purchase the separate turf program
What do you do if a race is off turf?
Old 07-11-2023, 12:31 PM   #41
wiretowire68

I have made my own similar quick method

using Bris files, however, in google sheets which I just feel more comfortable with. Today, all Excel and Google with Office 365 are interchangable. Does your spreadsheet allow for the bris file to be downloaded into your sheet? If so, I know you have to convert your pdf etc to csv. Right now I can only only use the online version of Office 365 and excel and when I convert a Bris file say I get from playing a Horsetourney tournament, I have no clue on how to get the file to actually fit into the spreadsheet with coding..is there a coding for this that can be done step by step...As I said I have used online converters in order to save however, the notepad version always opens in excel.. help if possible?
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2023, 02:05 PM   #42
Running Amok

Data is entered manualy in columns C, D, E and F

Column B is where I enter the race #, the # of horses entered in the race and then any scratches by entering an x next to the horses number in column B.

A minute before post I enter the tote board odds in column H under Odds $1

Manual data entry is a bit tedious but I have it down to under 5 minutes per race. I would certainly like to be able to import Bris data files into my spreadsheet but I'm sure that would require some extensive VBA coding which I have very little knowledge of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
What do you do if a race is off turf?
Not sure what you're referring to, my spreadsheet or Pro-Handicap Wizard?

I'm only using my spreadsheet and if a race is off the turf (which doesn't happen very often) I either pass the race or just don't use my spreadsheet.

If I don't like the race due to various reasons including off the turf no one says you have to bet.

I've found my sheet does pretty well but it doesn't work well for certain races like Maiden races where there's several first time starters or races where half the field hasn't raced at the distance. So I just don't bet those races.