Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #31
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post
Without having to re-read all of the links and posts within this thread, I thought these comments were from trial testimony and not press releases. At least see the link in post #19.
I was specifically referencing Paulick, who I believe is well known for short blurbs based on press releases and public sources (a trial transcript is a public source). He is also well known as an anti-drug person (he was good friends with Joe Gorajek) and generally sides with track management on issues. And I'll leave it at that.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #32
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #33
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I was specifically referencing Paulick, who I believe is well known for short blurbs based on press releases and public sources (a trial transcript is a public source). He is also well known as an anti-drug person (he was good friends with Joe Gorajek) and generally sides with track management on issues. And I'll leave it at that.
And you generally side with cheats.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #34
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
And you generally side with cheats.
Apparently you don't read my stuff, which allows you to be an anonymous cheap shot artist. I provide a service you don't get from Paulick - the whole story. If you don't like it, don't read it, but don't ever tell me my stories on trainers weren't based on facts.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #35
castaway01

Quote:
Apparently you don't read my stuff, which allows you to be an anonymous cheap shot artist. I provide a service you don't get from Paulick - the whole story. If you don't like it, don't read it, but don't ever tell me my stories on trainers weren't based on facts.
Your stories are based on "facts" that only look at half of the story---the pro-trainer side. Forget the horseplayer, the welfare of the horse, etc. You're part of the problem in this game, not the solution.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #36
Ian Meyers

'Ben's Cat Retired', 'Mott to set for Queen's Plate Debut'

I think the fact that DRF & Blood Horse refuse to cover this story tells you all you need to know about the state of the game. This stick your head in the sand and pretend none of this exists is what got this sport into the position it's in.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #37
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Meyers View Post
'Ben's Cat Retired', 'Mott to set for Queen's Plate Debut'

I think the fact that DRF & Blood Horse refuse to cover this story tells you all you need to know about the state of the game. This stick your head in the sand and pretend none of this exists is what got this sport into the position it's in.
Neither DRF or Blood Horse get involved in events that are currently being litigated. Paulick does and covers them very well.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #38
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Your stories are based on "facts" that only look at half of the story---the pro-trainer side. Forget the horseplayer, the welfare of the horse, etc. You're part of the problem in this game, not the solution.
Again, you don't know what you are talking about. I've been on the record clearly as being against the use of illegal drugs. I've never chosen to write an article in support of a trainer who has been a clear serial violator, like Julio Cartagena. I've also been on the record as being in favor of setting thresholds using good science, not always the case currently. I've also been on the record as being in favor of doing more thorough investigations, more pro-active intervention to prevent drug positives before they impact races, and more consistency in enforcement. I have clearly said the first goal of enforcement should be preventing positives because once a race is official the bettor has been screwed. Who do you think I am concerned about if not the horseplayer and the horse?

Racing has rules. Not once have I suggested not enforcing those rules. But I have suggested not being arbitrary or downright inept in the way the rules are enforced, and I have suggested you don't punish traffic tickets with the felony level punishments.

When people here complain about the way the stewards deal with DQ's, does that mean they are only telling half the story, or they are part of the problem? Criticizing poor investigations isn't against horseplayers or the welfare of the horse, and it isn't telling half the story.

You are the one telling half the story. You get an article from Paulick with no detail other than some trainer had a positive and you can't wait to run around yelling "cheat" and that's the problem with racing. The difference with me is that I'm going to tell the whole, not half, the story before I conclude anything. Even ARCI agrees the enforcement focus has to be on illegal drugs, not just slight overages of legal medications, because less than one-half of one percent of all post race tests show a positive for legal medications.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #39
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
by Ray Paulick | 06.28.2017 | 10:38am
Trainer Beattie At Rojas Trial: ‘Almost Everybody’ Illegally Treated Horses On Race Day:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...rses-race-day/

Quote:
Stephanie Beattie threw fellow horsemen under the bus during her testimony for the prosecution Tuesday afternoon at the federal trial of Murray Rojas, a former rival for leading trainer honors at Penn National in Grantville, Pa.

Beattie admitted she routinely had her horses illegally treated with therapeutic medications on race day by the same veterinarians who counted Rojas as a client.

“Almost everybody did,” Beattie said of the practice. “Ninety-five to 98%. It was a known practice. We wanted to win and they weren't testing for those drugs at that time.”

Beattie, 46, won enough races to be Penn National's leading trainer on three occasions. In 2009, her best year, she won 222 races from 811 starts for earnings of $3.4 million. The previous year, when she won 212 races from 612 starts, she had a win percentage of 35 percent.

But it is two-time Penn National leading trainer Rojas, not Beattie, who is on trial for wire fraud, conspiracy and misbranding of prescription drugs. U.S. Attorney William Behe has laid out a case with testimony and documents from racing officials, veterinarians and vet assistants alleging Rojas requested and received race-day treatment of horses in order to win purse money, then had billing and treatment records falsified to conceal the cheating.

Beattie is among numerous individuals at Penn National under investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. She resisted cooperating with the FBI at first, Beattie testified, even after Special Agent Bruce Doupe told her, “If you don't want to talk, I'll come to your house at 4:30 in the morning, handcuff you and put you in jail for a very long time.”

Finally, Beattie said, after spending more than $60,000 on legal advice, she decided to cooperate with authorities, submitting to numerous interviews and even wearing a recording device on their behalf.

Despite admitting to years of rule violations in multiple states, Beattie has not been sanctioned by any racing commissions and has faced no criminal charges. It has hurt her business, as shown by a 2016 record of 14 wins from 111 starts and earnings of $217,655.

“This investigation has made things tough for me,” she said.

Beattie also said she has stopped cheating with race-day treatments.

Beattie explained how veterinarian Kevin Brophy established an order form for trainers to fill out their race day medication requests. She said her lists regularly included Kentucky Red, Estrone and Amicar – substances that are not permitted within 24 hours of a race.

Beattie testified that Brophy and other veterinarians informed her of which drugs the state's testing lab was not testing for.

On Monday, Brophy's associate veterinarian, Fernando Motta, testified that Rojas regularly requested and received treatments of Robinul and Estrone on race day for her horses. Motta beat the test for Robinul, he testified, by administering a lower dose and changing the route of administration to intravenous from intramuscular.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 06-28-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #40
whodoyoulike
Veteran

The parts I find amusing are ....

Quote:
... Despite admitting to years of rule violations in multiple states, Beattie has not been sanctioned by any racing commissions and has faced no criminal charges. It has hurt her business, as shown by a 2016 record of 14 wins from 111 starts and earnings of $217,655.

“This investigation has made things tough for me,” she said.

Beattie also said she has stopped cheating with race-day treatments. ...
amusing yet sad.

very amusing.

very very amusing.

I hope everyone can see where this is going. I'm LMFAO*.

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LMFAO
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #41
Ian Meyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99 View Post
Neither DRF or Blood Horse get involved in events that are currently being litigated. Paulick does and covers them very well.
Not true. They had no problem reporting on Derby Wars/Stronach litigation at every turn. It's called NO BALLS.

Years back, BH had a very good investigative journalist named Ryan Conley. They ran him off. Now they are just shills for the tracks/horsemen.

Last edited by Ian Meyers; 06-28-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Ian Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #42
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Meyers View Post
Not true. They had no problem reporting on Derby Wars/Stronach litigation at every turn. It's called NO BALLS.

Years back, BH had a very good investigative journalist named Ryan Conley. They ran him off. Now they are just shills for the tracks/horsemen.
The DRF could easily be described in exactly the same way.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #43
HalvOnHorseracing

I've written for horse racing publications, and rule one is you don't knock advertisers (or potential ones). I once quipped, tongue in cheek, that NTRA's biggest accomplishment was getting all the tracks to go with the same saddle cloth colors. Needless to say, this is the first time the public has read that sentence.

I can tell you I've been contacted by reporters from some of the publications mentioned because I can write things they can't.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #44
Ian Meyers

Quote:
I've written for horse racing publications, and rule one is you don't knock advertisers (or potential ones). I once quipped, tongue in cheek, that NTRA's biggest accomplishment was getting all the tracks to go with the same saddle cloth colors. Needless to say, this is the first time the public has read that sentence.

I can tell you I've been contacted by reporters from some of the publications mentioned because I can write things they can't.

I understand that. Ryan and I collaborated on a number of pieces over the years. He was an outstanding journalist and they gave him a lot of freedom. Eventually, the tracks/horsemen complained and he got bounced from BH. It was our loss.

There is no other industry I can think of that is so insular. It will be racing's downfall.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #45
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:

How about finding out exactly what the "Commingling Guest" portion is of the California takeout?

It's something like 8+% of t/o.

Please refer to my posts in the "Ritvo wants to lower takeout" thread. I realize the t/o is legit besides it's been included in t/o for years amounting to 100's of millions maybe even billions of $. I just don't understand why it can't be labeled clearly as a line item because apparently the CHRB staff probably also has no idea what or how it is distributed.

Btw, I have a gut feeling it's part of the t/o at every track since the blended t/o rate at most tracks is similar to California's (21% +/-). It's just that Cali racing is more transparent in their financial reporting compared to other jurisdictions as far as I can tell.

Thanks.

Also, I'm not or have ever questioned your integrity in your posts. I actually appreciate your candor.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 06-28-2017 at 08:53 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: