Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #241
v j stauffer

TRAGIC DEVELOPMENT: scratched. now runs purse money only. That takes two of my winning horses out of the mix. . Since there's a delay I can now say he has so he can assuredly win because I took . I'll have to live with that though because was my original pick anyway. Let's GO! No
Old 08-30-2018, 06:36 PM   #242
stringmail

The interesting result is going to be your competitors contest against DeRosa where he has the place horse trailing by $.60 and DeRosa had the winner.

Congrats on your win.
stringmail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #243
v j stauffer

OMG OMG at midstretch it looked like was going to get all the $$$. it's never easy.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #244
JeremyJet
Handicapper

Good job, Vic. Congratulations.
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #245
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyJet View Post
Good job, Vic. Congratulations.
Thanks.That win will fund my Sat & Sun BCBC qualifiers.

And so it goes.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #246
JeremyJet
Handicapper

I thought for sure you were going to select the #8 or #9 based on the odds for a block. What was the thought process going with the #11 who went off at something like 7/1?
Old 08-30-2018, 06:54 PM   #247
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
This was my problem as well, needed to be able to handle more tracks in a much faster fashion, yet still continue to get results.

I subscribed to a data and race computer program to cut down the time, for me now its about 30-40 minutes for a 8 race contest.
I take 30-40 minutes PER race in an 8 race card.

Positive side is I can only look at two tracks. NY and So. Cal.

Makes it tough when I have to play contests with other tracks like the BCBC qualifiers.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:57 PM   #248
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyJet View Post
I thought for sure you were going to select the #8 or #9 based on the odds for a block. What was the thought process going with the #11 who went off at something like 7/1?
He was 11 to 1 before the was scratched. Our picks were locked in before the flipped in the gate just before they sprung it. As I said. It's NEVER easy.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #249
JeremyJet
Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I take 30-40 minutes PER race in an 8 race card.

Positive side is I can only look at two tracks. NY and So. Cal.

Makes it tough when I have to play contests with other tracks like the BCBC qualifiers.
Yup, that's what I'm talking about. 30 to 40 minutes per race might look like a long time to some, but it comes out to a couple minutes per horse. Not much time to formulate an opinion.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #250
v j stauffer

Quote:
The horse I ended up using in the 9th # Varenka had absolutely zero to do with who I thought would win the race. With a lead of $25.90 I knew there would be ZERO chance he would use either the or . Even if one of them won he would still be in stabbing position going into the last. So that left three others. The also seemed unlikely because even with a win my opponent would still be trailing going into the last. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW IMPORTANT LATE LEADS ARE. Even 10 cents is a monster advantage. So that left me with three choices. & My goal now is to try to figure out who he'll use. Any of the three could have put him on the lead. I decided on because it was the horse that would be the most inducing for my chances. Got lucky and guessed right. So now we go to the 10th. I will have several horses on my team in this race. Because any horse that cannot pay a combined $25.90 is a winner for me. So now I will once again try to figure who will be my best blocking opportunity. If I guess right. Show's over. If I don't block he will have ONE chance. Whomever he picks which MUST be the requisite price. Chances are clearly in my favor. But BY NO MEANS am I home. I've lost many and won my share in these type situations. Wish me luck! Also, he MUST make sure he doesn't take the same horse as me. Which will send a player a bit further out on the fringes. But I know that too. As we get to post any horse that is "close" to the right price, a tweener, but MIGHT get bet under what he needs is pretty much out too. Final thought is he also has to factor in what If he hit the winner but I finish 2nd? That sends him further out on the fringes.You'll find yourself rooting the tote board. Hoping for as many horses as possible to be bet down inside the threshold. Pretty fun stuff!
Here's another thing to consider when thinking about playing tournaments and specifically head to head matchups.

Remember I said I was going to take yesterdays winnings and play a BCBC qualifier today?

I decided to pass. I hated the 4 races at my non go to tracks Woodbine & Gulfstream. Plus I was not big fan of Saratoga 7 thru 10.

HOWEVER!!

Let's not lose sight that I'm a proud sicko and always need some action. So I signed up and played "one" $430 HorseTourneys head to head.

For the 8 races I accumulated a whopping $15.20. But! It was good enough to win.

Moral of the story is against the windows I would have crushed today. But in my head to head I only had one person to beat.

It worked out. I'M NOT GLOATING or seeking atta boy's.

Just sharing because I am a HUGE advocate of tournament play and would love to see more and more people get involved.

On to Del Mar!! Let's GO!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:20 PM   #251
GMB@BP

completely agree..of course the opposite can happen, like to me yesterday where I put up a respectable number and some guy hit two cap horses and I got crushed. That doesnt happen much but I just tip my cap and say next time.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2018, 09:29 PM   #252
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
completely agree..of course the opposite can happen, like to me yesterday where I put up a respectable number and some guy hit two cap horses and I got crushed. That doesnt happen much but I just tip my cap and say next time.
Exactly right. Tip of the cap and get the next one. And you're right. It's doesn't happen often.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:51 AM   #253
v j stauffer

Sometimes it goes the other way

I played 2 $430 head to heads at Del Mar.

Going into the last I was $17.00 ahead in one and $32.00 in the other.

As they were going into the gate was 8-1. A perfect blocker for the one down $17.00 he took the who finished far back.

In the $32.00 game I blocked with the at 21-1. He used the who WALKED INTO THE GATE at 8-1. A ridiculous choice because 8-1 wouldn't give him enough to make up the $32.00. He couldn't win!! Gave himself no chance!

UNLESS! during the running of the race the moves from 8-1 to 10-1. DURING the running of the race.

You know the rest. 6 wins and he beats me by $3.00 with a horse he NEVER should have used!!!!!

: puke:
Old 09-03-2018, 01:58 AM   #254
thaskalos

Quote:

I played 2 $430 head to heads at Del Mar.

Going into the last I was $17.00 ahead in one and $32.00 in the other.

As they were going into the gate was 8-1. A perfect blocker for the one down $17.00 he took the who finished far back.

In the $32.00 game I blocked with the at 21-1. He used the who WALKED INTO THE GATE at 8-1. A ridiculous choice because 8-1 wouldn't give him enough to make up the $32.00. He couldn't win!! Gave himself no chance!

UNLESS! during the running of the race the moves from 8-1 to 10-1. DURING the running of the race.

You know the rest. 6 wins and he beats me by $3.00 with a horse he NEVER should have used!!!!!

: puke:
The main reason why I stick to the Pick-&-Pray variety. Who needs all this extra aggravation?
Old 09-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #255
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The main reason why I stick to the Pick-&-Pray variety. Who needs all this extra aggravation?
Everything I played today is Pick N Pray.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: