Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
sq764
EIG

Michelle Wie

Is anyone else getting tired of seeing and hearing about Michele Wie trying to make a PGA tour cut? Especially when she has won exactly nothing in her career?

She's talented, sure, but what exactly is she accomplishing by continuing to miss cuts week after week, besides fattening the pockets of these tour execs?

Yes, I am aware she is rich now with endorsements, but if she is as good as people say she is and will be, that would come in due time. She is 16 years old and I think they are ruining her childhood..

But that's my 2 cents.
sq764 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Buddha
Aspiring Pace Capper

I totally agree. Until she plays against women and actually wins a tournament, I see no reason she should be trying to make a PGA event and cut. She is just wasting time and the chance to actually compete where she can win.
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
sq764
EIG

Maybe THIS will be the tournament she makes the cut..

then again, say she makes the cut and finished like 65th.. Who cares?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

I think she needs to be playing LPGA so she learns how to win...she has choked up now a couple of times when it came right down to it, missing putts, etc. She should be maturing down at the JV level, once she learns how to dominate them she can try out for Varsity.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

She is 16! Give her a little time to mature...........I think she will be a force on the ladies tour........and make some serious noise with the boyz
Old 07-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
Buddha
Aspiring Pace Capper

The way it is going Ralph, I don't know if she wants to face the ladies. She is doing everything to make a PGA cut and even the US open.
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
sq764
EIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
She is 16! Give her a little time to mature...........I think she will be a force on the ladies tour........and make some serious noise with the boyz
JR, the point is what is she gaining by playing in the PGA tours and missing every cut?

What is she gaining if she makes a cut on the PGA tour?

Seems like she is solely out to prove something..

Win SOMETHING before you try to compete with the men
Old 07-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I think that at the level she is playing, it is all about pressure. Overcoming it involves being " in it" and playing under pressure. I think somebody is directing her to play as much pressure golf as possible. For her future betterment. Time will tell whether it works or not.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
sq764
EIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I think that at the level she is playing, it is all about pressure. Overcoming it involves being " in it" and playing under pressure. I think somebody is directing her to play as much pressure golf as possible. For her future betterment. Time will tell whether it works or not.
I don't think it's beneficial to continue to lose..

Put it in horse terms- If you had a $50K claimer, would you race it against $100K or $150K claimers to see how it fares against better competition? Like Wie, you would know the horse will never ever win one of those races, and what does a last place finish accomplish?
Old 07-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
Valuist

2 reasons why they love to market her:

1) Can't she drive a ridiculous distance? Outdrive plenty of men? Everyone likes to see the long ball.

2) Who would the public rather look at, her or Fuzzy Zoeller?

Like it or not, its true. Anna Kournikova and Danica Patrick have gotten plenty of publicity without winning anything.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

There can't be much pressure in being five over par and twelve shots off the lead, as she is now.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #12
Valuist

The public and media also seem obsessed with youth. Look at all the attention 3YOs get and how little the non-racing public cares about the older horses. Remember Dwight Gooden when he came up? Hershel Walker and Maurice Clarett as freshmen? Look at all the attention Lebron James had before he was even a junior in high school. Other than James, its pretty tough to live up to all the hype.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2006, 04:06 PM   #13
sq764
EIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
2 reasons why they love to market her:

1) Can't she drive a ridiculous distance? Outdrive plenty of men? Everyone likes to see the long ball.

2) Who would the public rather look at, her or Fuzzy Zoeller?

Like it or not, its true. Anna Kournikova and Danica Patrick have gotten plenty of publicity without winning anything.
Yeah and Kournikova and Patrick are a joke now.. No one takes them seriously.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #14
sq764
EIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
There can't be much pressure in being five over par and twelve shots off the lead, as she is now.
You mean 86th place isn't good :-)
Old 07-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
sq764
EIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
The public and media also seem obsessed with youth. Look at all the attention 3YOs get and how little the non-racing public cares about the older horses. Remember Dwight Gooden when he came up? Hershel Walker and Maurice Clarett as freshmen? Look at all the attention Lebron James had before he was even a junior in high school. Other than James, its pretty tough to live up to all the hype.
But these athletes you mentioned were playing where they belonged.. They were professionals in a men's sport, playing against other men.

I mean if Reggie Bush played in the NFL when he was 16, he would have gotten killed..