Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-14-2014, 03:01 AM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Amazing baseball records

They are not your "mainstream" records such as Dimaggio's hit streak or Williams batting 406.

Don Drysdale had 6 consecutive shutouts in 1968.

Jack Taylor, 202 consecutive games without being relieved, from 1901 to 1906, the guy went FIVE years before he was ever taken out of a game, 187 starts and 15 relief appearances.

Cal Ripken from 1982 to 1987 didnt miss an INNING. He played every inning for 5 years straight. Just incredible.

Consecutive seasons with 150 or more hits, Derek Jeter and Hank Aaron are tied at 17 seasons.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

I'm sure the oriole fan club will chime in when they wake up!!!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
I'm sure the oriole fan club will chime in when they wake up!!!
Been up waching reruns of the "Night Shift". Hell of a show.

Single greatest accomplishment of the O's was the '66 WS sweep of LA. O's held the Dodgers scoreless for the last 32 innings of the series and to 4 runs scored (2 earned), and 17 hits.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
horses4courses

Most amazing record in baseball?

To me, the most amazing record in baseball is that it's close to 25 years since it's all-time hits leader,
Pete Rose , was run out of the game.

What a travesty
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
To me, the most amazing record in baseball is that it's close to 25 years since it's all-time hits leader,
Pete Rose , was run out of the game.

What a travesty
That is one way to look at it. The other way is that he bet on baseball and was given a lifetime ban. Given is not actually the correct word as Pete actually agreed to the ban. You can read that agreement here.

Of course, a lot has changed in baseball since Pete's punishment was handed down. Steroid users start with a 50 game suspension, etc. I would like to see him in the Hall of Fame for what he did as a player, but I certainly understand and accept the reason why he is not in. Saying that he was run out of the game is a little disingenuous in my opinion.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
That is one way to look at it. The other way is that he bet on baseball and was given a lifetime ban. Given is not actually the correct word as Pete actually agreed to the ban. You can read that agreement here.

Of course, a lot has changed in baseball since Pete's punishment was handed down. Steroid users start with a 50 game suspension, etc. I would like to see him in the Hall of Fame for what he did as a player, but I certainly understand and accept the reason why he is not in. Saying that he was run out of the game is a little disingenuous in my opinion.
O.J. Simpson is still in the NFL HOF, right?
He's a thug and a murderer.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
MutuelClerk

IN Pete's first book he claimed he never bet on baseball. In his second book he said well mayyyyyyyyyyyyybe I bet on baseball. There's not no doubt he did, and when he was stuck I'm sure being the degenerate he is he wagered against his own team. Amazing player, one of my favorites as a kid. But I'm glad he's not in the HOF.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
IN Pete's first book he claimed he never bet on baseball. In his second book he said well mayyyyyyyyyyyyybe I bet on baseball. There's not no doubt he did, and when he was stuck I'm sure being the degenerate he is he wagered against his own team. Amazing player, one of my favorites as a kid. But I'm glad he's not in the HOF.
It really says more about the institution itself, than it does about Pete Rose.
Pete was more concerned about losing his livelihood in baseball, than he ever was about the HOF.

Seriously, do you think that Pete Rose is the only potential HOF inductee who placed a bet on his sport?
I'm talking about all pro sports in this country.
The man got the most hits in baseball.
I'm positive he never bet against any team he played for, or managed.
It's not in his character.

This is the 21st century, for crying out loud......

Last edited by horses4courses; 06-14-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
MutuelClerk

His record as a player, no question. HE belongs at the top of the list. For me, the fact he quite possibly bet against his team is tough to overcome. I can't prove he did, but I think he did. And because of that I don't want him in the HOF. For me this isn't about the transgressions of others. It's about his choices. I'm sure if there's a 30 for 30 on ESPN, he cries really hard says he's sorry. He may get inducted. It seems to be the American way these days.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
MutuelClerk

Back to the thread. I'll take Teddy Ballgames 84 games in a row getting on base. I think that's harder than Joe D's 56 game hitting streak.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
Delta Cone

In 1920, Babe Ruth hit 54 HR, more than every other team in the American League.

The St. Louis Browns were closest, with 50 HR total for the year.
Delta Cone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Cone
In 1920, Babe Ruth hit 54 HR, more than every other team in the American League.

The St. Louis Browns were closest, with 50 HR total for the year.
even more amazing is that Babe had a 94-46 lifetime pitching record with a 2.28 ERA. Shutouts in 9 games one season. One of the better pitchers in his era, and then converted to batter after five seasons. He had a 3-0 world series record with an 0.87 ERA. Not bad for a fat guy who ate, drank, and womanized during games.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
_______
Veteran

6 different major league players have been hit by a pitch twice in one inning. It had never happened before 1959. The last occasion it was David DeJesus in 2012.

This is record that I could hope to break if MLB could rid itself of its prejudice against slow talentless ball players.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #14
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
O.J. Simpson is still in the NFL HOF, right?
He's a thug and a murderer.
I was addressing your comment regarding Pete Rose and how he was "run out of the game." Now you are deflecting to O.J. Simpson. Okay, I will take the bait. Thug? I believe that is pretty obvious with arrests for DV and a conviction for kidnapping and armed robbery? Murderer? Many people believe that he is, but the fact is that we was acquitted of the charges. FWIW, he was actually inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame well before his most documented issues.

Back to Pete. Recall that I said in my response that I would like to see him inducted. I really do. Do you have a disagreement with my response that Pete himself agreed to his ban? The benefit for him in agreeing to it is that there was never an official finding regarding his gambling. This is what gives him the ability to petition for reinstatement.

Since I am very guilty of taking the thread off topic, I offer this as an amazing sports feat. Paul Schreiber - not the MLB umpire - holds the record for the longest time between MLB appearances. He had a gap of 22 years, 1923 to 1945, between relief appearances for the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees. You can, as they say, look it up.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
I was addressing your comment regarding Pete Rose and how he was "run out of the game." Now you are deflecting to O.J. Simpson. Okay, I will take the bait. Thug? I believe that is pretty obvious with arrests for DV and a conviction for kidnapping and armed robbery? Murderer? Many people believe that he is, but the fact is that we was acquitted of the charges. FWIW, he was actually inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame well before his most documented issues.

Back to Pete. Recall that I said in my response that I would like to see him inducted. I really do. Do you have a disagreement with my response that Pete himself agreed to his ban? The benefit for him in agreeing to it is that there was never an official finding regarding his gambling. This is what gives him the ability to petition for reinstatement.

Since I am very guilty of taking the thread off topic, I offer this as an amazing sports feat. Paul Schreiber - not the MLB umpire - holds the record for the longest time between MLB appearances. He had a gap of 22 years, 1923 to 1945, between relief appearances for the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees. You can, as they say, look it up.
No disagreement - Pete signed off on it.
That doesn't make it right.

If MLB stipulated to Pete Rose that he take a lie detector test asking him whether he ever bet against a team
that he played on, or managed, I believe he would take the test and pass.

My apologies to SRU for hijacking this thread.
Not another word from me about Pete Rose.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: