Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #121
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Powered through this mornings episode of Morning Drive.

Annika said the Stimp was the same for both the men's and the women's event.
7. While the USGA has said it will keep the speed of Pinehurst's devilish greens as fast as they were last week -- mid to upper 12s on the Stimpmeter -- officials have decided to make the greens a bit softer for the women to help them be more receptive to approach shots.

So not exactly comparable. But I think Wie going all 72 holes without a 3 putt was sensational. I don't believe any of the men accomplished that.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #122
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
I have played 100s of rounds at Tecolote. I believe it is the only executive course ever designed by Robert Trent Jones.

If Carlton Oaks could ever get their greens and fairways in good shape it would be a premiere course.

Willowbrook is a nice little 9 hole layout with pretty good greens. A great course to walk.

Salt Creek (I call it Shit Creek) seems to be in a constant state of disrepair. Bonita, on the other hand, has improved their maintenance considerably and is probably worth playing.

A course definitely worth playing is San Vicente in Ramona.
TCGC is a Sam Snead design course. Unfortunately, the only indication of that is the name of the street you turn onto to get to it.

I've heard about San Vicente but you are literally the first person that has mentioned it while talking about courses. Maybe it's one of those "hidden jewels" the locals are keeping to themselves <bg>?

Some of the reasons I've "promoted" Willowbrook is (1) it is 9 holes and you can opt to only play 9, (2) it is a par 36 for the nine which means when you play 18, it's a par 72 track, (3) there are multiple teeing areas for each hole (some have 4 others 2) which means if you do play 18 you have a bit of a different tee shot each time, and (4) it is in the USGA's database for handicap purposes. And, yes, it's pretty flat so it does make it a fairly easy course to walk. Now, if they could only do something about that late afternoon sun when playing 5.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #123
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
If you recall the 2008 Open, the entire north course was turned into a parking lot, a driving range and a site for souvenirs. Another week of the same could shut down the course for several weeks after the tournaments not just the week of the tournament.

I really don't see any upside for San Diego in trying to duplicate the Pinehurst model.
I'm not sure that would be repeated. But, it is a good point and one I had forgotten.

I'm going to ask about that the next time I talk with some of the people whom are part of the inside circles of San Diego muni-golf, in general, and Torrey Pines specifically.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #124
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
TCGC is a Sam Snead design course. Unfortunately, the only indication of that is the name of the street you turn onto to get to it.
Tecolote is definitely a RTJones Sr design. It is my understanding that Snead was brought in for name recognition only but he is listed as co-designer with Jones.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...snead-designer
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #125
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Just don't tell me you are one of those players who will stand on the 150 marker on their home course and laser a pin sitting in the middle of the green and then confirm it with the GPS in the cart. Of course the entire ritual is followed up with a solid shot that ends up a club and a half short.
A friend of mine will walk off the distance from a 150 or 200 marker just to make sure that it's a 180, or a 185, or a 190 yard shot. Never mind the fact that he doesn't have a 180 yard shot in his bag, unless he gets extremely lucky. He does have a lot of fat 120 yard shots in his bag, which he uses after nearly every distance calculation.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #126
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Tecolote is definitely a RTJones Sr design. It is my understanding that Snead was brought in for name recognition only but he is listed as co-designer with Jones.

OK, I learned a bit more. Thanks.

There are a couple of guys there that know the history and have been playing there for a long, long time.

I'll ask them about the particulars of the course design.

I'm curious both from a historical perspective and learning a bit more about the original design. My understanding is some bunkers had been moved or removed. And, some of the teeing areas also being changed.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #127
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:

Got confirmation from two of my peeps yesterday, and, as one shared with me, he was under the same wrong impression for a long time.

Now, I know.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #128
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
A course definitely worth playing is San Vicente in Ramona.
Asked a group about the course during a friendly putting competition. One guy in particular had a very good, positive response. He's lived in San Diego a long time and has played many, many courses, including SV many times. He gave me a very favorable impression along with a recommendation that my son and I play it.

It's now on my list.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #129
Valuist

A blast from the past. Hadn't seen a post from Sq in years.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #130
Marshall Bennett

After winning the Open last week, Wie now leads another tournament this week going into the final round. One of the announcers last week predicted that after finally winning a major, she would be hard to stop.
Golf Channel @ 4PM CST.

Last edited by Marshall Bennett; 06-29-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply