Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #151
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
After today's announcement, sure looks that way --- for once Charles Barkley was right about something. Will be happy to see Kawhi and Raps win it, but sorry to see the value of the Finals destroyed by injuries once again. After the blowouts of the past two years, I was hoping for a competitive series. Many, rightly making comparisons with the decimated Cavs in 2016 Finals. Raps fans are already complaining about those calling this an *asterisk* championship, presuming they win, but will be difficult to see it as anything else.
They can only play the team on the floor, no asterisk for me. Staying healthy is a big part of winning titles every year.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #152
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlay View Post
Everything is an "asterisk win". Woulda coulda shoulda!
Interesting how these things work.
War of Will should be racing for the triple crown tomorrow.
Will he get an asterisk?

Two things have really stuck out to me this post-season:

1. Kawhi Leonard is the best player in the NBA
2. Pascal Siakam is the most underrated player in the league
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #153
lansdale

Not sure about the spread, but I think GSW, with their backs to the wall, at home and with Klay back, take this -- so would go with -220 moneyline. Think that 3 pt. variance aptly noted by Valuist hits Raps tonight, and they shoot
<.35 tonight. Note to Kerr: think about keeping Jerebko super-glued to bench for remainder of Finals.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #154
lansdale

Reading that Looney has been cleared to play tonight -- should make for a better game, if true.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:57 PM   #155
lansdale

All she wrote

Wish I could say this has been a great series, but another blow-out -- unfortunately not. But seems more questionable whether GSW had a clear edge even with a 100% Durant -- would have been interesting to find out. Happy that the greatness of Kawhi is now being celebrated and props to Serge Ibaka, who was a crucial factor in this game off the bench.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #156
Valuist

Got to believe last night was the final game to be played at Oracle Arena. After years of West dominance, 4 of the top 5 teams (IMO) now reside in the Eastern conference. Toronto has superior depth. And how big is Kawhi? Just look at how far San Antonio has fallen in the last 2 years.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #157
Valuist

Quote:
After today's announcement, sure looks that way --- for once Charles Barkley was right about something. Will be happy to see Kawhi and Raps win it, but sorry to see the value of the Finals destroyed by injuries once again. After the blowouts of the past two years, I was hoping for a competitive series. Many, rightly making comparisons with the decimated Cavs in 2016 Finals. Raps fans are already complaining about those calling this an *asterisk* championship, presuming they win, but will be difficult to see it as anything else.
I lived in the Bay area for several years and still talk to a few people from there. Nothing but excuses. Nobody giving Toronto any credit. Yes, Durant would've made a difference, but YOU JUST GOT MANHANDLED TWO STRAIGHT GAMES AT HOME. It wasn't like they were close. No asterisks, no excuses. Once again the team that goes thru the tougher road will prevail.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #158
Valuist

Quote:
Reading that Looney has been cleared to play tonight -- should make for a better game, if true.
He did play but clearly was in some pain. He went to the line for 2 free throws late in the game and you could see him grimacing before he shot the ball. Not surprisingly, he missed both. I expect him to be on the injury report for game 5.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #159
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
I lived in the Bay area for several years and still talk to a few people from there. Nothing but excuses. Nobody giving Toronto any credit. Yes, Durant would've made a difference, but YOU JUST GOT MANHANDLED TWO STRAIGHT GAMES AT HOME. It wasn't like they were close. No asterisks, no excuses. Once again the team that goes thru the tougher road will prevail.
I agree with you that 'asterisk' is the wrong word in this situation because it seems to try to deligitimize a championship which the winning team deserves -- however, that meme is absolutely out there among fans to the extent that the CBS website just ran a piece saying 'no asterisk' in response. I'll try to re-state in a better way: first, I have always been a huge Kawhi fan, and was sorry to see the soap opera that went down in SA surrounding his injury and departure. So, I'm very happy to see what's happened for him and the Raps in the past year -- which had not only to do with him, but also the shrewdness of Masai in also acquiring Gasol, Ibaka, and Danny Green, all talented defensive players. I think they're a very good team, similar in their style of play to LBJ's Heat.

But, in winning the title, which now seems likely, they're not beating the GSW team that won the last two championships. The question of how they would have fared vs. a team with Durant will remain unresolved -- it seems to me too close to call. I have no doubt that this is going to be the #1 argument among hardcore fans for the next year or so. In addition, as you say, the top teams in the east are now clearly stronger than most of the west. And speaking of the luck involved in any championship, one could make a good case now that the Raps were only a teetering corner shot from going into an unceratin overtime that could have knocked them out of the playoffs vs. the Sixers, who now look like, at least, the second best team in the NBA.

To add to the post-season drama, Durant is supposedly now saying that he will remain with GSW if they lose, when everyone has already written off his departure. Even more bizarrely, NBA future odds for the 2020 championship have GSW as the 9/5 favorite, with the Bucks second at 9/2 and Toronto far back at 30/1 -- go figure.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:20 PM   #160
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
He did play but clearly was in some pain. He went to the line for 2 free throws late in the game and you could see him grimacing before he shot the ball. Not surprisingly, he missed both. I expect him to be on the injury report for game 5.
You could absolutely see the pain, but even in his limited state, he was much more effective than the pitiable Cousins, who just wasn't ready, and the aged Bogut. Looney was actually tied with DG for third leading scorer with ten points!

Last edited by lansdale; 06-08-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:24 PM   #161
Valuist

Riding in the car today, I hear the ESPN voice over guy say "Monday Night is a must win for Golden State". Well, that's kind of obvious. But then I thought about it......couldn't one make the case it's also a "must win" for Toronto? If Golden State goes into Canada and wins game 5, they now have momentum. They head back for the final game ever at Oracle and the crowd is totally jacked, and the Dubs take that. So if it gets to game 7, then the narrative becomes "will the Raptors choke this away", just like OKC in 2016?

The Raptors did face some pressure against Philly and Milwaukee, but nothing like they will face Monday night. They better not tread lightly, and step on the Warriors throat while they have the chance.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:25 PM   #162
Valuist

Quote:
I agree with you that 'asterisk' is the wrong word in this situation because it seems to try to deligitimize a championship which the winning team deserves -- however, that meme is absolutely out there among fans to the extent that the CBS website just ran a piece saying 'no asterisk' in response. I'll try to re-state in a better way: first, I have always been a huge Kawhi fan, and was sorry to see the soap opera that went down in SA surrounding his injury and departure. So, I'm very happy to see what's happened for him and the Raps in the past year -- which had not only to do with him, but also the shrewdness of Masai in also acquiring Gasol, Ibaka, and Danny Green, all talented defensive players. I think they're a very good team, similar in their style of play to LBJ's Heat.

But, in winning the title, which now seems likely, they're not beating the GSW team that won the last two championships. The question of how they would have fared vs. a team with Durant will remain unresolved -- it seems to me too close to call. I have no doubt that this is going to be the #1 argument among hardcore fans for the next year or so. In addition, as you say, the top teams in the east are now clearly stronger than most of the west. And speaking of the luck involved in any championship, one could make a good case now that the Raps were only a teetering corner shot from going into an unceratin overtime that could have knocked them out of the playoffs vs. the Sixers, who now look like, at least, the second best team in the NBA.

To add to the post-season drama, Durant is supposedly now saying that he will remain with GSW if they lose, when everyone has already written off his departure. Even more bizarrely, NBA future odds for the 2020 championship have GSW as the 9/5 favorite, with the Bucks second at 9/2 and Toronto far back at 30/1 -- go figure.
Interesting on the 2020 prices, but I guess they are assuming Kawhi leaves Toronto.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #163
Immanuel Kant

Line for GM 5 when I bought it a couple of days ago was Tor -3 -07............this morning I checked and see Tor -1.5 -07.

I haven't heard anything but I have to assume either Durant is playing...... OR................. GS is continuing to be over valued!

What has anyone seen in games 1, 2, 3 and 4 to make them think GS can beat the Raptors three straight?

I live very close to Scotiabank arena.......I expect it to be very loud outside around 11:30 PM

How can the small player compete against whales, bots and rebates? Fixed Odds!
Immanuel Kant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #164
Robert Fischer
clean money

Durant is back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel Kant View Post
Line for GM 5 when I bought it a couple of days ago was Tor -3 -07............this morning I checked and see Tor -1.5 -07.

I haven't heard anything but I have to assume either Durant is playing...... OR................. GS is continuing to be over valued!

What has anyone seen in games 1, 2, 3 and 4 to make them think GS can beat the Raptors three straight?

I live very close to Scotiabank arena.......I expect it to be very loud outside around 11:30 PM

Significant.

1st thought = Maybe the 'house' is baiting for more $ on Toronto's side, where maybe Golden State has a good night tonight and the ball bounces their way...
(supposedly, even w/ the 'over value', it's still close to a perfect 50% on each side, so an adjustment would be unnecessary, and perhaps a sucker-trap)

however, I clicked on ESPN, and they have a 'Durant Returns' headline.
Given that 'breaking news', the simplest, most logical assumption is that line was moved to help absorb the expected Golden State action following the Durant headline.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #165
lansdale

?

Durant had a short practice with the bench guys yesterday and a longer one with the full team today, without any apparent problems. so looking good. Supposedly, his eligibility to play is a game time call by the trainer. But since he's listed as having no minutes restriction, it looks like he will play and even start. Hints dropped by Iggy suggests he's about 70% of his usual self, which is still pretty good. Line on the game has moved from TOR -2 to PK, which seems about right to me -- and another sign that KD is really playing.

Scotiabank Center will be rockin' for what should be the best Finals game since the great 2016 GSW/Cavs series. LA friend who's a GSW fan trying to conjure Game 5 of the 2016 WCF that began the GSW backdoor sweep of OKC, where Klay had 11 threes, but I reminded him that this is now an older, much more battered group of players -- that truly would be miraculous. But I would love to see this series go at least twenty more games ;-).