Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 02-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #61
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I'm sure that we'll be able to reach some sort of arrangement...should the time come.
They will only meet if LAC doesn't knock off GS and OKC beats SA. Unless somehow the Clippers pass OKC for 3rd seed.

I can't imagine OKC being much more than +300 for the series in vegas, if you're giving out +500 that might be a little steep. Keep in mind that OKC will have beaten SA to get to GS, if they beat SA I can't imagine they'll be plus 500 in the next series.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #62
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
They will only meet if LAC doesn't knock off GS and OKC beats SA. Unless somehow the Clippers pass OKC for 3rd seed.

I can't imagine OKC being much more than +300 for the series in vegas, if you're giving out +500 that might be a little steep. Keep in mind that OKC will have beaten SA to get to GS, if they beat SA I can't imagine they'll be plus 500 in the next series.
Shhhh, you're killing my overlay. I actually think OKC can beat SA in a series. They match up very well with them when healthy and did beat them in the lone game this year.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #63
thaskalos

Quote:

In case you are interested...I am offering 7/2 odds on OKC beating SA in a 7-game series.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #64
thaskalos

Quote:
They will only meet if LAC doesn't knock off GS and OKC beats SA Unless somehow the Clippers pass OKC for 3rd seed.

That's a 10-1 proposition if ever I saw one.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #65
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The move they make provided both sides stay healthy is adding Festus Ezeli. He was sorely missed at the rim tonight but should be back for the rematch.

Isn't ot a little early to be talking about GS? The odds are the Thunder will be facing S.A. in the second round which in my opinion is a monumental task. They can win but I'll say the Spurs 70%-30% right now.

Who are the Thunder going to trade? Their bench is horrible except for Kanter who recovered nicely in the second half. To get a decent player it will take drafts picks and throw a dart on who you want. Do you really think anyone in their right mind will want Morrow?

To be fair both Curry and Westbrook had bad shooting nights. The game changer was the pass from sideline to sideline to Thompson who drained a three.

It was a game of two halves and then all even when GS proved to be better in this game. I don't care what anybody says its still a regular season game and didn't get bogged down. The one thing I noticed was that Westbrook becaming winded in the third quarter and took a shot that was short even though it hit the rim. If Donovan took him out on his own three thumbs up that was the right move Westbrook was gassed.

If they meet Bogut will have limited minutes just like the playoffs last year. He can't handle the Thunder even though he had a few blocks. My guess is many teams saw Kanter exposed in the first half with nobody near a GS player on some of the layups. Once again he recovered nicely but GS also got sloppy. GS was also able to get inside when they needed it most. I was shocked to see Adams -11 thought he played well.

After all I've said it was a great game to watch on a snow covered Saturday night in NJ.
Generally agree with this take. Thought it was a good game for the Thunder, but the betting public had it about right - they lost by eight (actually since the line was 8.5, I still lost this bet!). It seemed to be the Thunder were playing about 85-90% and GSW 65-70% of their best game. The only time I saw Dubs bring their 'A' game was the last 3 minutes of the game. With the game tied at 104, they ran off 12 pts. in the last 3 minutes, going 5/7 - Curry 3/4. Unbelievable. By comparison, WB/KD made only one shot from the field during the 4th Q.

Agree with Canarsie re the absence of Ezeli - he also didn't play in the last game the was won by OKC vs. GSW last January in OKC. Vs. the pace of Thunder in future games, he'll be getting most of the minutes, rather than Bogut, and doubt that Kanter will shoot better than 40% against him. Don't think Roberson is equivalent - he was -14 in that January game.

In a series, OKC is up against the same problem as LAC - given the weakness of the bench, the stars have to play major minutes, and wear down over the course of the series. I would almost guarantee, that in the unlikely even that OKC faces Dubs in post-season (as others say, they'll have to beat Spurs first - I don't see it), KD/WB are not going to be able to ring up 67 every night, and will eventually be worn down by deeper teams.

This sounds like a detraction, but it's easy to lose sight of the reality that OKC is a very good team with two of the best who ever played the game - but as Valuist said, this GSW team is one for the ages.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #66
azeri98

These are the 2 best teams in the NBA, the spurs age will show in the playoffs I just don't see GS losing a game at home and they will have home court, I think they are a cinch to win it all unless Curry of Thompson get injured.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 12:47 AM   #67
lansdale

My bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I did take Golden State here at -8. They have gotten up for the stronger teams. I have them at 9-1-1 ATS vs fast tempo teams.

BTW, the fade of the team playing the Warriors next comes in again. Portland a 5 to 5 1/2 pt dog, blows out Houston by 17 today.
Based on your post, thought you might have been picking the O/U - didn't realize you were taking the -8. My bad.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:01 AM   #68
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98
These are the 2 best teams in the NBA, the spurs age will show in the playoffs I just don't see GS losing a game at home and they will have home court, I think they are a cinch to win it all unless Curry of Thompson get injured.
As above, I don't think OKC will beat but the Spurs in the post-season, but regardless of the outcome, the age of the Spurs won't be the key factor. Their key players, Leonard and LMA, are still in their prime. If you subtracted the aging Big Three from the team, they're still capable of beating ca. 70% of the teams in the NBA. As for those older Spurs, Duncan, who has taken the 5th option role on offense, is the #1 rated defensive player in the NBA, and hovers around the 10-12-rated spot in the league in WS 48 (Win Shares per 48 minutes), and Manu and TP are restricted to the limited minutes during which they can be effective. We'll see how it plays out over the remaining games between these two.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:39 AM   #69
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
That's a 10-1 proposition if ever I saw one.
Be careful. People thought Carolina was head and shoulders better than Denver, Clippers could be the Denver to GSs Carolina (not to mention Curry was at Super Bowl rooting for Carolina)
Old 02-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #70
Canarsie

Quote:
Be careful. People thought Carolina was head and shoulders better than Denver, Clippers could be the Denver to GSs Carolina (not to mention Curry was at Super Bowl rooting for Carolina)
The difference is the number one ranked defense has won nine out of eleven super bowls. The Clippers are not going to be ranked anywhere near that when the playoffs begin. Having said that as previously stated all four teams in the west have a chance especially if one gets hot at the right time and place.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #71
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Think the Thunder showed they are not that far from Golden State. They need a move to upgrade the bench before the deadline, but they could beat them in a seven game series in my opinion. I'd put it at 65-35 for GSW right now.
Here's the problem with this... The Jazz weren't that far at one point to the Bulls and what did they ever win? I just don't ever see the Thunder leaping the Warriors unless they somehow upgrade their roster. When I say upgrade I don't mean a bench player. I love Dion... The guy grew up a few blocks away from my parents house. But if OKC can keep KD and Westbrook they need to upgrade the 2.

As good as OKC are unfortunately the Warriors are better. And to take it a step further they are in the same conference. So the chance for them to even compete for a Championship is that much tougher. At least the Jazz were in a different conference.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #72
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
Here's the problem with this... The Jazz weren't that far at one point to the Bulls and what did they ever win? I just don't ever see the Thunder leaping the Warriors unless they somehow upgrade their roster. When I say upgrade I don't mean a bench player. I love Dion... The guy grew up a few blocks away from my parents house. But if OKC can keep KD and Westbrook they need to upgrade the 2.

As good as OKC are unfortunately the Warriors are better. And to take it a step further they are in the same conference. So the chance for them to even compete for a Championship is that much tougher. At least the Jazz were in a different conference.
Well said.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #73
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918

We'll see how it plays out. With KD and Westbrook the Thunder are always a nightmare for opposing teams. I think they are going to make a splash this year at the trade deadline that will really upgrade the team. The 2 is THE position they need to upgrade. Roberson is actually really good on defense but his offense is still below average. They have some pieces to trade in Waiters and McGary and even guys like Novak and Augustin that are free agents to be (as is Waiters) so they have value to teams looking to shed salary.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #74
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
We'll see how it plays out. With KD and Westbrook the Thunder are always a nightmare for opposing teams. I think they are going to make a splash this year at the trade deadline that will really upgrade the team. The 2 is THE position they need to upgrade. Roberson is actually really good on defense but his offense is still below average. They have some pieces to trade in Waiters and McGary and even guys like Novak and Augustin that are free agents to be (as is Waiters) so they have value to teams looking to shed salary.
Who guards curry when you play GS? RW?
Old 02-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #75
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Who guards curry when you play GS? RW?
He did Saturday, and did a really good job IMO. I'm sure if Roberson were healthy he'd do some of it too. The downside of that is it enables Curry to guard Roberson, a guy I can probably guard.