Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #91
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanman View Post
I'm sure you are right. Though, I still believe it's too early to tell. Like you, I seldomly would bet a MP race. Most of my play is on UK/Irish and Australian racing, where I have carved out my niche.

I found the "no whip" experiment interesting and worth a try. I felt the same way so many years ago with synthetic tracks. By in large, they have worked out. Some like them and some don't. Some won't play them and some play them exclusively because they worked out an angle that made them successful. In time, I think the same will be true with tracks that don't allow whipping, provided this inititive prevails.

I am ambivalent concerning Baffert. He deserves his "due process" and maybe some believe he's already had it concerning his past medication violations. In reality, I don't think you'll see him enter many there, less the Haskell.

You must be getting ready for Royal Ascot? Large competitive fields usually.
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #92
Dave Schwartz

FWIW:
  1. I am a purely systematic player.
  2. Typically, MTH produces some of my best results.
  3. This year the results make no sense.
  4. My plays are just not in contention at the finish.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 06-10-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #93
Scanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblin4ever View Post
You must be getting ready for Royal Ascot? Large competitive fields usually.
For sure. But today, my focus is Leopardstown.
Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2021, 11:51 PM   #94
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
LOL...as if...
Way! No, way! Not way. Yeah, this site sucks now. It's not your fault, but racing and most of its fans are dead. I will leave it to you, Nitro, and CheckMark for the circle jerk.
castaway01 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2021, 05:47 AM   #95
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
Al- I mentioned in posts 53 et seq that one has to look at other tracks to get a true read on why Mth handle is what it is on any given day. The TDN analysis did not get into this but it is definitely a factor.
Yesterday. Handle was 5,682,880.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2021, 05:49 AM   #96
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
FWIW:
  1. I am a purely systematic player.
  2. Typically, MTH produces some of my best results.
  3. This year the results make no sense.
  4. My plays are just not in contention at the finish.
How are you picks at other tracks doing?

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #97
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Yesterday. Handle was 5,682,880.

Allan
Handle was $6.2M. Off track was the $5.7 you cite (if you used DRF charts you need to add the 2 figs together). Nice comp v the $4.7 from same Sat in 2019. Both days fast/firm. Saturday's card was pretty good (of course I missed it) and also featured the annual pick your prize contest which included Mth races only. Some nice spice Sunday with the carryovers! Good luck
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #98
pandy

Ferrer hot at Monmouth

Veteran jockey Ferrer, the current leading rider, is on fire at Monmouth. Yesterday he had 4 more winners including three price horses, 79-1, 14-1, 5-1.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...f-whip-debate/
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #99
GMB@BP

We will see how it shakes out for many tracks the next several months. I didnt think it was the whips but maybe I am wrong.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2021, 12:15 PM   #100
Boomer

Huge p5 carryover today. Join Monmouth thread in handicapping section
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2021, 06:26 PM   #101
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
We will see how it shakes out for many tracks the next several months. I didnt think it was the whips but maybe I am wrong.
$4.8M today puts today's comp about between the June 9 and June 16 (Father's Day) 2019 figs. Not bad. Bolstered by the carryovers today. If weather is good, Father's Day will be real interesting. 24k on track and $5.4M total handle 2019. Would be surprised to see 1/2 that much in attendance this year with no BYO.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:39 PM   #102
taxicab

You might make the case that the whip rule cost NY Traffic in the Salvatore Mile yesterday.
NYT turned for home and instantly started lollygagging around.
Paco Lopez did everything he could trying to get NYT to eyeball the horses nearest him........but Informative snuck on by on the inside.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2021, 10:40 PM   #103
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
You might make the case that the whip rule cost NY Traffic in the Salvatore Mile yesterday.
Paco Lopez did everything he could trying to get NYT to eyeball the horses nearest him........but Informative snuck on by on the inside.
Yes heard a few folks suggest that today. I guess we will really never know in an6 race with any horse, but I get it. Just another variable!
Old 06-14-2021, 12:33 AM   #104
Scanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
Respectfully, I have to disagree. At the 1/8 pole Lopez allowed NYT's head to be cocked right, looking towards the stand. He should have been on his left rein much sooner. It wasn't until Lopez saw Informative coming on the inside that he straightened out NYT, whereby NYT tried to re-engage Informative. But by that time, it was too late and Informative held sway.

I thought Ferrer rode a fabulous race. Informative closed up in his last race and ran a competitive number. The race set up for him nicely. I don't think Lopez rode a bad race, apart from his lapse of focus around the 1/8th pole.

Perhaps, NYT is the type of horse that needs to be waited with and produced late. Proof of that is NYT's race in the Matt Winn at CD (23May20). BTW, in that race, just before the 1/8th pole, Lopez hit NYT twice left-handed causing NYT to veer 4 paths to the right.

One thing is for sure, hitting NYT was not going to make him run faster or stay focused. He's already proven that.

Last edited by Scanman; 06-14-2021 at 12:36 AM.
Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2021, 01:49 AM   #105
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanman View Post
Respectfully, I have to disagree. At the 1/8 pole Lopez allowed NYT's head to be cocked right, looking towards the stand. He should have been on his left rein much sooner. It wasn't until Lopez saw Informative coming on the inside that he straightened out NYT, whereby NYT tried to re-engage Informative. But by that time, it was too late and Informative held sway.

I thought Ferrer rode a fabulous race. Informative closed up in his last race and ran a competitive number. The race set up for him nicely. I don't think Lopez rode a bad race, apart from his lapse of focus around the 1/8th pole.

Perhaps, NYT is the type of horse that needs to be waited with and produced late. Proof of that is NYT's race in the Matt Winn at CD (23May20). BTW, in that race, just before the 1/8th pole, Lopez hit NYT twice left-handed causing NYT to veer 4 paths to the right.

One thing is for sure, hitting NYT was not going to make him run faster or stay focused. He's already proven that.
Wrong.
Watch Paco's head as on the turn for home......and then another half dozen times in the stretch.
He's actually steering NYT towards towards the outside runners........and then when Informative appears on the scene he steers NYT to the inside.

taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply