Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #121
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Oprah/Weinstein 2020!

Make the dems say "OW!"
Oprah/Madonna 2020 The O and Ho ticket!!!!!
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #122
Fager Fan
Veteran

I don't understand the conversation going on. I'd far rather see Dems put up someone like Oprah than someone like Hillary. As I said, Oprah is too liberal for my liking, but she's a decent human being, so just on that one count alone she is far better for the job than who the Dems keep selecting as their leader.

Oprah should be given a bit more respect than a lot of you on both sides are giving. She is a black woman who rose from extreme poverty (and physical and sexual abuse, I think she was raped as a child) and without the help of any husband or man. She took her skills and likeability to build an empire, becoming the richest woman in the U.S. at one point, and I'm fairly sure at the time the only self-made woman on the list in the world (unless Martha Stewart also made the list at the same time).

Yes, I held her delving into Obama politics against her, but I also note that after only about 2 years in the White House (maybe not that long), she was suddenly gone from being an Obama supporter. I don't know what led to their fracture, but I'm hoping that Oprah learned a lesson about supporting someone just due to their skin color. I know she lost viewers, so that could've been part of the reason, but I think it was more as she could've quietly stayed in the picture but when she was gone, she was gone.

She's an admirable woman, and a smart woman. We could do a lot worse. What women that have been elected to Congress do you hold in higher regard? I like Nicki Haley, but can't really think of another off the top of my head that I respect.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 01-09-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #123
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

She backed Hillary and OBama.
What else do you need to know about her?
Old 01-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #124
MONEY

Oprah will not run for president, but if she did an Oprah Winfrey/Charles Barkley ticket will win.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #125
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
Oprah will not run for president, but if she did an Oprah Winfrey/Charles Barkley ticket will win.
right. Oprah will not be running for president. But it gives the libs a warm tingle down there leg to fantasize about it.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #126
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Sure, that's easy for you to say.
In my weaker moments I go for overall political philosophies, rather than the generic criticisms typically lobbed by practitioners of partisan politics usually found in off-topic forums.

You described Obama's "executive orders". Good. Though I exaggerate, that's the "ceasarism" part. And don't think Obama wasn't "Oprahfied". "His spirit had permeated the masses, she said, and this spirit reminded people not only of who he was but also of what they could be."...

https://books.google.com/books?id=hB...ahfied&f=false

That's the ceasaropapism part, again exaggerated for effect. Now substitute the manner in which she would view her office as she viewed Obama's above, i.e., a truly religious figure as the gnostic high priestess of progressivism.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:10 AM   #127
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
I don't understand the conversation going on. I'd far rather see Dems put up someone like Oprah than someone like Hillary. As I said, Oprah is too liberal for my liking, but she's a decent human being, so just on that one count alone she is far better for the job than who the Dems keep selecting as their leader.

Oprah should be given a bit more respect than a lot of you on both sides are giving. She is a black woman who rose from extreme poverty (and physical and sexual abuse, I think she was raped as a child) and without the help of any husband or man. She took her skills and likeability to build an empire, becoming the richest woman in the U.S. at one point, and I'm fairly sure at the time the only self-made woman on the list in the world (unless Martha Stewart also made the list at the same time).

Yes, I held her delving into Obama politics against her, but I also note that after only about 2 years in the White House (maybe not that long), she was suddenly gone from being an Obama supporter. I don't know what led to their fracture, but I'm hoping that Oprah learned a lesson about supporting someone just due to their skin color. I know she lost viewers, so that could've been part of the reason, but I think it was more as she could've quietly stayed in the picture but when she was gone, she was gone.

She's an admirable woman, and a smart woman. We could do a lot worse. What women that have been elected to Congress do you hold in higher regard? I like Nicki Haley, but can't really think of another off the top of my head that I respect.
At least she would encourage reading...

Old 01-10-2018, 01:02 AM   #128
elysiantraveller

I don't know her politics at all but if she ever decided to run... God help her opponent.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 01:18 AM   #129
fast4522

It does not matter, no one can stop what will be done. All that people care about now is that their 401k's, pensions, and stocks continue with this path.
No one is coming, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi are toast.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 03:32 AM   #130
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
She backed Hillary and OBama.
What else do you need to know about her?
Add Al Gore to that list...she made out like a bandit
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #131
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Is America developing such a penchant for electing shallow superficial celebrities that intellectual deep thinkers should not bother applying?
If that turns out to be the case again, God Bless America.
Yes.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #132
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Is America developing such a penchant for electing shallow superficial celebrities that intellectual deep thinkers should not bother applying?
When was the last time an intellectual deep thinker ran for president? Maybe Adlai Steveson, who was trounced by Ike.

There is little or no chance one would bother to run today. The process is a media circus, all about image and sound bites. How could a "deep intellectual thinker" hope to get elected when most voters don't even qualify as shallow thinkers? The process of winning votes is largely the same as that of winning customers for Pepsi vs. Coke.

Trump vs. Oprah? Makes you nostalgic for the good old days of just plain honest political hacks.

P.S. The last thing we want in the White House is an intellectual deep thinker, or someone who thinks he is one. Like Obama.

We need someone who is pragmatic, grasps the problems of the country, and understands how to get things done.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #133
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
I don't know her politics at all but if she ever decided to run... God help her opponent.
If you knew her politics, you wouldn't be saying that.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #134
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
No way you kept a straight face when you typed that
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #135
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
No way you kept a straight face when you typed that
This comment is so hilariously dumb, that I have to ask how you arrived at it.. more laffs please..
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply