Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
I beleive the first thing they need to do is find out what horses MTB would be running against...second, they need to try him on the grass...

I just don't want MTB to go over there and be embarassed...it has nothing to do with his being sound and a gelding...he'll keep racing no matter what (as long as he stays sound & healthy)...and I don't really care about Woolley staying in the spotlight at the expense of his wonderful little horse, and I for sure don't give a damn about his owners...I just want what is best for MTB...
Winter T mentioned Tin Cup Chalice...well, do we want MTB to go over there and finish far back like Tin Cup did? I sure don't...like I said...they better be damned sure the horse will make a good showing...because I'm crazy about the little warrior and want what is best for him. Period.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #17
WinterTriangle

Wooley would be the complete opposite of anyone with delusions of grandeur. I don't know about the owners.

MTB, on the other hand, seems to enjoy attention.

"Hall of Famer and two-time Derby winner Carl Nafzger remembers from his days when he trained on the New Mexico circuit: "They are very good horsemen," Nafzger said. "For them the horse was not a means to glory. It was a means to a lving...."

Nafzger is from a little place in texas. He understands.

"I wanted to meet Chip," Nafzger said, which he did, in the immediate wake of the Derby. "I wanted to see if he was what I was. I doubted Chip's horsemanship a little at first, only from what I'd read. But it was nothing unusual, hauling your own horses, doing your own work. Then I watched him, and got to knowin' him a little, and you could really tell he had a sense of horse about him. And there was none of that, 'I did this. I did that.' "

"Chip Woolley got my respect the first night we had dinner," Nafzger added. "He wasn't worried about anything. He was like, 'If you want to make me into some kind of hero, that's fine. But I'm not going out of my way to change anything to be that hero for you. I'll ride my horse.'"
http://www.drf.com/news/article/107913.html
Wooley is not somebody who craves attention. Anyone knowing him, or even watching him would know that. He was suddenly thrust into the limelight when MTB won the Derby, a quiet cowboy type, who has been doing the tough grind that is New Mexico horse racing.

He's just a hard working small trainer trying to make a living.
"Chip Woolley has had about as much fun as a man can have spending most of the year on antibiotics and crutches. His broken leg, sustained in February, was supposed to get plenty of rest. Instead infection set in, mostly because Woolley's constant attention to the details of taking a horse through the Triple Crown seemed to take priority.

"I never missed a day and I never missed a minute," Woolley said, shrugging off the inconvenience. "I never let it get in the way."

Looks like somebody with a terribly good work ethic to me.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #18
juanepstein
devo-lutionizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
Good point...as long as they try MTB on turf first...and see what the field will be...they sure don't wanna go over there, even if it's all expenses paid...and finish up the track!
sha tin is strathayr

http://www.strathayr.com.au/html/turf/race.htm

juanepstein is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #19
joanied

juanepstein....
thanks...that 'turf' surface is interesting...and I had no idea...but, it's still turf, and we don't know if MTB will like it.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 10-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
joanied

"Wooley would be the complete opposite of anyone with delusions of grandeur. I don't know about the owners." (quote:Winter Triangle)

I didn't want to use your entire post, Winter T... I had read that interview with Nafzger...and it says a lot about Woolley...but nothing I didn't already surmise...

I don't think I posted that I beleived it was Woolley with the 'illussions of granduer'...I did say I thought the owners call the shots...I have no doubt Chip W is a very nice and good person...he prooved as much during the TC by many acts of generosity and kindness...now, I don't know how good a trainer he is...his win % doesn't say much for him as a trainer...maybe he just has awful horses...I don't know...
all I said is that the bottom line is if they go...they need to be sure MTB likes the truf...and after they know what horses he'll be in against, they need to be 100% sure MTB will make a good showing...I think he is one smart little horse, and to make him travel all that way, and go through the stress of it all (and, IMO, it would be stressful for any horse) and have him finish up the track, well, he'll know...and that ain't a good thing...you agree with that, I know.

Anyway...all we can do is wait and see what they decide...and all I can do...is wish and hope for nothing but the best for MTB!!!

Gandalf the Grey